Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids and seperation

• 09-01-2017 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I read this article about parental alienation in Ireland and it was very interesting. When I think about it, I can probably think of a handful of people I know who are not as severely alienating their child against the other parent but still bad mouthing etc. I think we should all consider how damaging that can be to kids, particularly after reading this

http://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2017/01/dont-call-her-your-mother/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

I have studied psychology and spent a good bit of time reseaching this topic. The actual existance of this "syndrome" is at best highly debatable and there are many research papers completely debunking it. It is not recognised by the court's in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jets

I have studied psychology and spent a good bit of time reseaching this topic. The actual existance of this "syndrome" is at best highly debatable and there are many research papers completely debunking it. It is not recognised by the court's in Ireland.

Yeah I don't believe it's a syndrome, that seems odd, but Parental Alienation is undoubtedly a "thing" that some parents (such as father spoken about in that memoir) choose to do to their kids to stop them seeing the other parent for various selfish reasons from spitefulness to money. It just seems to be something that you don't see discussed too often even though it happens a lot, its almost as if it's acceptable, as if the kids belong to the parents so the parents have that right. they shouldn't, it all seems very wrong to me.

Advertisement