Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadlift Woes

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah hoping to hit em this year
    Except the bench because it hates me

I have a few solutions for that:

1. Do the classic switch to Oly lifting.
    2. Convince yourself that that wee bone in your shoulder is the wrong shape for benching and stop
    3. Get fat.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You'll have to pay for the full program to find out. €17.99 and it's yours.

A boards poster tells someone don't stop believin
    YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A boards poster tells someone don't stop believin
    YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

They put it on repeat on YouTube and get the hairbrush out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FTA69 wrote: »
    Ha, the chances of me pulling 225 are fairly non existent I'd say.

I would have said the same at one point, when a 160kg my goal. Now I want to break 200kg, after that I'll look at triple BW.
    Targets change, you'll surprise yourself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    I would have said the same at one point, when a 160kg my goal. Now I want to break 200kg, after that I'll look at triple BW.
    Targets change, you'll surprise yourself

You're about 80kg?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You're about 80kg?

I was then. I'm lighter now..

A little heavy post Christmas at 77kg today. Aiming to be back about 75kg in a few weeks so I can compete at 73kg and 77kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

wilkie2006 wrote: »

Re mixed grip (MG): 100kg sounds a little light for this alternative grip. I would suggest improving your grip strength and saving MG for later, when you can go heavier.
    I'm not sure I understand the logic there.
    Mixed grip isn't a one time deal. Benefiting from the mechanical advantage now doesn't diminish any pontential benefit he'll get down the line.
    If it allows him to lift more now, then he'll likely improve his deadlift faster - for all grip variations.

I don't understand what saving it for later could achieve.

Although he doesn't go into much detail, Rippetoe advises against the alternate grip here (see 4:50):

Frederic Delavier, in Strength Training Anatomy , mentions that there is a risk - albeit only slight - of tearing the long head of the biceps brachii too (see pic attached)

I don't know, though... there doesn't appear to be much else online to discourage the AL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Chalk, grip work, more deadlifting.
    yes it really is go get some

Nice one on the chalk suggestion, by the way: used it today and it was like I'd glued my hands to the bar! :)

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Although he doesn't go into much detail, Rippetoe advises against the alternate grip here (see 4:50):

He mentions asymetrical shoulder positions. I don't think its a major issue as those muscles aren't particularly in use for deadlifts. It's probably as significant as only ever using your left arm to operate the gearstick on a car.

Ripptoe goes to say use double overhand for your warm ups and use a hook grip or mixed/alternate grip for the work set.
    Frederic Delavier, in Strength Training Anatomy , mentions that there is a risk - albeit only slight - of tearing the long head of the biceps brachii too (see pic attached)

Bicep tearing on deadlifts is not uncommon, there'll be few videos on youtube of guys doing. But it's caused by incorrect form, specifically trying to deadlift with a flexed elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Anyone here got any tips for deadlift plateaus? Been stuck at 175kg for the past month or so.

Any fancy pants workout routine/eat the **** out of everything (I'm only 170 or so pounds)plan/anything like that? I'm doing your bog standard 5x5 thing right now.

The gains are certainly slowing down, though that's to be expected :(

Anyone here got any tips for deadlift plateaus? Been stuck at 175kg for the past month or so.

Any fancy pants workout routine/eat the **** out of everything (I'm only 170 or so pounds)plan/anything like that? I'm doing your bog standard 5x5 thing right now.

The gains are certainly slowing down, though that's to be expected :(

Where is your deadlift being missed?

What assistance work do you do for the movement? The deadlift uses a lot of muscles and there may be a weak link that's not strong enough to let you increase.

First things first though, if your technique is off, you'd add kgs just cleaning it up and making the movement more efficient

Where is your deadlift being missed?

What assistance work do you do for the movement? The deadlift uses a lot of muscles and there may be a weak link that's not strong enough to let you increase.

First things first though, if your technique is off, you'd add kgs just cleaning it up and making the movement more efficient

Assistance work? Only exercises I do are bench, dead, squat, overhead and pull-ups. You mean assistance as some variation of them or some machine isolated muscle thing?

Am I at the "having to actually think this through?" stage of lifting? :(

Bollocks. Fun while it lasted.

Assistance work? Only exercises I do are bench, dead, squat, overhead and pull-ups. You mean assistance as some variation of them or some machine isolated muscle thing?

Yes. You've a good deadlift (2.25 x BW). Getting more doesn't come easily.

But the good news is you don't actually need to put in any effort.

But you won't get any more kgs on the bar that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You should apply Hanleys "want a simple program to get stronger" to your deadlift. Plus get someone to check out your technique

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You should apply Hanleys "want a simple program to get stronger" to your deadlift. Plus get someone to check out your technique

Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement

Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers for that.

Would love to hear how you get on when you're finished it

Been stuck at 175kg for the past month or so.

How may reps at 175kg? How are you stuck?
    What happens when you try 177.5kg

Gains will be slow from here onwards imo

How may reps at 175kg? How are you stuck?
    What happens when you try 177.5kg

Gains will be slow from here onwards imo

172.5 and below is pretty much always manageable.

175 is my pb but for the past while, its been a 50/50 sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Seems random enough.

177.5 might come a small bit off the ground but never the full way. Grip is fine, its not slipping out of my hands.

These are 1rms. I've no injuries/flexibility problems and the squat/bench while slowing down have still been going up steadily. Though my bench is lower cause I started it much later than the other two lifts.

172.5 and below is pretty much always manageable.

175 is my pb but for the past while, its been a 50/50 sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Seems random enough.

177.5 might come a small bit off the ground but never the full way. Grip is fine, its not slipping out of my hands.

These are 1rms. I've no injuries/flexibility problems and the squat/bench while slowing down have still been going up steadily. Though my bench is lower cause I started it much later than the other two lifts.
    Ok, that's an easy fix.

Stop pulling frequent singles. The reason you aren't progress in multiple 172/175/177 attempts in the past while. One max single attempt every 3 to 6 months is fine.

Go back to 140kg. Pull 5 reps. Setting the weight dead on the ground between reps.
    Increase to 142.5kg next week, and do 5 reps. And so on each week.
    If you get a triple or 4 rep PB that's progress too. But come back the next week and get the 5rm. Only increase when you get 5 clean reps.

• Advertisement

Ok, that's an easy fix.

Stop pulling frequent singles. The reason you aren't progress in multiple 172/175/177 attempts in the past while. One max single attempt every 3 to 6 months is fine.

Go back to 140kg. Pull 5 reps. Setting the weight dead on the ground between reps.
    Increase to 142.5kg next week, and do 5 reps. And so on each week.
    If you get a triple or 4 rep PB that's progress too. But come back the next week and get the 5rm. Only increase when you get 5 clean reps.

Sound, I'll give that a whack so. I'll play around with Hanley's program a little bit as well.

Advertisement