Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fired with Immediate Effect for handing in 4 weeks notice

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sorry for the delay. We sent out a mail to seek clarification as to why she was fired. I believe they have 2 weeks to give us a formal answer.

Think this was a blessing in disguise though as she's already secured a new job this week that she's always wanted in the first place :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

More bad working conditions, the labor court will be bursting at the seams.

Rightly so, and hopefully the employers will get good slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What is with your weird obsession with working conditions? The vast, vast, vast majority of employees in this country are treated extremely fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Rightly so, and hopefully the employers will get good slap on the wrist.

why unless she has a contract that states otherwise,they are abiding by the law, ( if acting a bit nasty )

Sorry for the delay. We sent out a mail to seek clarification as to why she was fired. I believe they have 2 weeks to give us a formal answer.

Think this was a blessing in disguise though as she's already secured a new job this week that she's always wanted in the first place :)

then stop worrying about this and get on with it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Dial Hard wrote: »
    What is with your weird obsession with working conditions? The vast, vast, vast majority of employees in this country are treated extremely fairly.

I'm not disagreeing with you and hope this is true.

But is there any actual evidence of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Great news. Hope it works out of the missus.

But is there any actual evidence of it?

last time i looked o'connell st wasn't full of protesting fired employees

The balance of judgements is clearly in employees favour in ireland, so very few employers will step over the line and act illegally, because they will just loose .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

BoatMad wrote: »
    last time i looked o'connell st wasn't full of protesting fired employees

The balance of judgements is clearly in employees favour in ireland, so very few employers will step over the line and act illegally, because they will just loose .

So no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

limnam wrote:
    So no.

The vast swathes of protective legislation in place should be evidence enough.

I'm not disputing that there are some employers out there who take the piss. The WRC wouldn't exist if there weren't. But Stealthfins seems to think we live in some kind of Dickensian nightmare where employees are wrung out and tossed on the trash heap willy nilly, which is demonstrably not the case.

• Advertisement

The WRC wouldn't exist if there weren't

even for good employers , there will always be issues where agreement cannot be reached and the WRC is there for that purposes. most breaches are technical , few are deliberate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Dial Hard wrote:

Not really, year's ago guy's and women in factories were using one mould now they're expected to use 4....More production for the company less wages to pay out.

People are expected to work over their contractual agreement, some working 12 hour's a day to get impossible targets.

They're indoctrinated in such a way so the young worker's starting off think it's very professional and an expectation.

Huge amounts of reports to complete and deadlines,more deadlines...

I remember being on a train to Dublin, heading up to measure out a garden I was to design and chatting to someone who was in a high powered job up to their eyeballs in it.
    I explained that nobody should do more than what they're capable of and maybe his boss is taking advantage of him.
    He toned down his work and started to get a bit of a life and headed out earlier than his usual 3 to 4 extra hours a day.
    He was contracted for 8 hour's a day.
    He was fired because his work wasn't up to scratch.
    He brought them to the labor court and got €100,000 + for unfair dismissal...

He decided he wanted to study horticulture.
    Anyhow we stayed in touch, he's now a head Gardener in a National Trust garden in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BoatMad wrote: »

True in most countries.

The reason is that very few employees can afford to take a case unless they are pretty certain that they will win. Yes, there are few test cases taken by unions. And a few by self-represented people. But for most, taking a case means taking legal advice, and most lawyers are pretty pragmatic about advising people about their chances of winning vs likely legal costs. Even lawyers working on a no-win-no-fee basis are not that likely to take a case which fairly clear-cut.

The net effect is that lots of employees win.

Overall I'd say that employees here get a good deal. Yes they have to operate 4 presses (or whatever) instead of 1 like the olden days - but that also gives them job variety, cross skilling, reduced chance of OOS. And technology is always changing.

12 hour days happen for sure - but no more than 4 of them in a week on average, and most people I know on them do a 3 day / 4 day rotation.

People at the start of their careers are going be working longer hours (more extra time) than once who are experienced. It was ever-thus.

The only area where I think that Irish employment law is anti-employee is sick leave. IMHO it's outrageous that:

1) There's no legal entitlement to some paid sick leave (eg 5 days/year)
    2) Illness benefit doesn't start until day 7 (so most low paid workers get nothing for the first 6 days)
    3) There's no clear legal requirement to hold a job open for a certain period for an employee who's out on certified sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I thought for a sec the difference would be not getting a reference. But she already has a new job! Yayy!

Advertisement