Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Specialun wrote: »
    Just to clarify

The landlord didnt know i had rights to proper time. He asked me to be gone by first week of march. To which i obviously declined and informed him of my rights..this led to him actually investigating the law

Glad it worked out for you OP, I wouldn't attribute any wrong doing to the LL, likely it was not something he wanted to do anyway (the wife probably wanted to help her brother).

But look if it does come up again, don't be too hasty to use the RTB, mediation is private but adjudication is public, which means anyone in the future could come across it, employers, loan officers, neighbours, etc. Protect your rights certainly, but if you do it just to delay, its probably not worth it for a number of factors.

My advice would be look to buy asap, even the worst hovel imaginable, the only security in this country is to own property, 10 years from now the RTB might be thrown out, rents will continue to increase anyway, last thing you would want is to be paying market rents when on a pension.

listermint wrote: »
    Im impressed it wasnt blatantly obvious, but i suppose when you see what you want to see then it tends to colour the subject matter.

You do know the OP came on here asking for what the obligations where, which means the Landlord didnt actually outline them ergo understand them

Anyway enough solving easy riddles. Good night graham, we may meet again. Probably not who knows. but i enjoyed the banter regardless. it was fun its what forums are for. :)

I would fully expect any decent LL to give a phone call prior to official notice to give a head up to the tenant and not get a shock when the letter is received. I wouldn't expect said call to go into much or any detail about obligations etc.

There was no reason for suspecting that the LL didn't know aside from having the automatic stance of being anti-LL. Innocent until proven guilty and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pilly wrote: »
    How much more security can you get? A lease is always for a term whether it be your home or your business. If you want a lifetime lease then it's a case of getting a mortgage and buying, sorry if that's harsh but it's the truth. Otherwise why would anyone buy property?

The OP has been living in his house for 6 years and will get 4 months notice to move. I'm just not sure how much more people want?

That does not apply to those on disability etc who could not get a mortgage.

Update

His now decided to tell the bro in law to look at other options..his kinda let it up in the air tbh. Im away with work for two weeks and his just said he will call me in two weeks. No word on whether we will pay the increased rent or not. I would think its a positive that they have said it..but who knows

THanks.

This is exactly what my landlord did the first times it came up. He was seemingly just sounding off with no realisation the havoc he was creating.

And no real intention of doing anything like giving notice.
    He too left it in the air..

Just wait; unsettling I know.

Just to clarify

The landlord didnt know i had rights to proper time. He asked me to be gone by first week of march. To which i obviously declined and informed him of my rights..this led to him actually investigating the law

Well done! I was planning to do the same had it been needful. It helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

listermint wrote:
    We need protections both ways either via longer leases better contracts and deposit escrow, time to start getting professional in this country.

People want to rent from professional businesses whose interest it is in to keep their tenants in the property long term, not just for as long as it happens to suit some amateur landlord. This is how it works elsewhere, my mother-in-law in France has been in her rented property for 40 years.

jsd1004 wrote:
    And I agree residential property should be rented on the same basis as commercial property is in this country. All property should be rented shell and core and the tenant furnishes paints it etc. Same as commercial if you want a fully furnished unit on a long term lease you should be required to pay key money to the value of the fit out and sell on the leasehold with the landlords consent.

For a successful rental market we need property investment to be treated as a low but safe yield market that is better than simply investing cash in a deposit account.

That the government is saying they will restrict increases to 4pc per annum is a good thing for the longer term.

Unfortunately it hasn't been balanced by negating the effects of losses where tenants overhold or cause damage that.cannot be recovered because of the bias in favour of tenants and the impossibility of recovering any such losses.

I think a solutiomn is to model such losses on the motor insurance market as in tenants will have to pay rent plus pay insurance to compensate generally against losses on overholding or property damage in excess of the deposit. In a similar mechanism to insurance, if you are the cause of a claim then your insurance to rent will go up.

We need people and companies to invest in building housing for rental, which is for profit; we need certainty for people renting instead of massive surprises, and we need people to stop thinking that renting a house makes it a home when it's always going to be a dwelling for a temporary period of time even if that is a long time.

I would fully expect any decent LL to give a phone call prior to official notice to give a head up to the tenant and not get a shock when the letter is received. I wouldn't expect said call to go into much or any detail about obligations etc.

There was no reason for suspecting that the LL didn't know aside from having the automatic stance of being anti-LL. Innocent until proven guilty and all.

:confused: Would you not be simply shocked and react if your home was threatened? I was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

listermint wrote:
    The OP contacted the Landlord after advisement here.

So point us to where OP says that?

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

:confused: Would you not be simply shocked and react if your home was threatened? I was.

I never saw rental houses as my home only a temporary place to live so I wouldn't be at all shocked if I was asked to move out as I don't believe I should have rights over the owner of the property. It might be a pain having to move and look for a new place but I wouldn't be getting worked up about it as it's something you should always expect if living in rented accommodation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

listermint wrote: »
    jsd1004 wrote: »
    As a professional landlord the first thing I ask prospective tenants is who was their last landlord and how long were they there and why are they moving. Any hint of PRTB/possibility of overholding/no reference or lived at parents rules them out. Be careful or your next accomodation choice could be seriously restricted when your references get checked.

As a professional landlord then id imagine you would be advocating for longer leases and protections on both sides. Because this sort of thing 'my brother needs your home' doesnt occur on the continent.

We need protections both ways either via longer leases better contracts and deposit escrow, time to start getting professional in this country.
    Actually it does. In Germany tenancies are normally open ended but wanting to give the house to a family member is considered a valid reason to have a fixed term tenancy. Its also a valid reason to terminate a tenancy provided the landlord has compelling reason to move his family in and tries to offer an alternative if they have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I never saw rental houses as my home

You clearly have no understanding of the experience of the hundreds of thousands in this country who are renting a family home. I dont know why you keep posting in these threads tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

[/B]

No.

Rentals come and go.

Just like tenants do.

Yes its a pain having to move. But on the other hand if a gang of thugs move in next door its quite handy being able to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That does not apply to those on disability etc who could not get a mortgage.

No. They get council houses, which do come with lifetime leases.

You clearly have no understanding of the experience of the hundreds of thousands in this country who are renting a family home. I dont know why you keep posting in these threads tbh.

I was asked a question and I answered it. Would I be shocked and the answer was no, what do you expect me to do, pretend I would be so it fits with your opinion.

Advertisement