Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-addressing letter - stamp or no stamp?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

I need to forward on a couple of letters to a person who has moved to a new address. I know a couple of years ago An Post wanted a new stamp but not sure if that was only for return to sender letters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A Stamp is required. You can return to sender as "gone away" for free but redirecting post needs to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

No you don't. Just put gone away...try xxxx Street. Circle it and put new address to side.

If you are writing in a new address over the other one you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

amtc wrote: »
    No you don't. Just put gone away...try xxxx Street. Circle it and put new address to side.

If you are writing in a new address over the other one you do.

It doesn't matter where you write a new address it requires a new stamp .

If you have managed to get letters though without doing that then you are just lucky since it could have been sent to the dead letter office at any stage for lack of postage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Return to sender = no cost

Sending on to another address = cost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You do not need a new stamp. I have done it hundreds of times and the letters have always been delivered. It may be an Post 'policy' to require a new stamp but in reality it is not required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭Tow

It does not require a new stamp. An Post made a big announcement that they were not going to forward letters to a new address free of charge a few years back, but their management 'forgot' that they are legally required to by law. Needless to say when informed of this they did not bother to takeout adverts informing the public of their rollback.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

I've never used a new stamp in those circumstances. I just readdress it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I never put a stamp on re-addressed mail - often did it when I was renting.

Slightly OT - if someone is persistently refusing to change their address on their post - start returning to sender with 'not known at this address' written across it - otherwise you could be plagued!!!

Advertisement