Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New licence or substitution

Options
  • 09-01-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

If changing a .243 for a .308 for deer hunting is it a case of applying for a new licence or is it just a substitution. Deer lisence is already granted on the .243 for the last few years.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I'd like to say substitution like for like rifle for rifle, but guess what depends on your Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. Here's the thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057674187

I'm still waiting for my RFD to get my new rifle in before I go and see if I can swing a substitution. But I think I am going to try it and see. They can only say "No, you need a new application".

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If changing a .243 for a .308 for deer hunting is it a case of applying for a new licence or is it just a substitution. Deer lisence is already granted on the .243 for the last few years.

TIA
    Substitution. If you are changing like for like i.e. used for the same purpose then a sub will do. You already use the 243 for deer and will also be using the 308 for the same purpose. Thats what my local FO told me when I enquired similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Go for substitution.

If the Gardaí accept it, then great. If they don't, then apply for a new licence. The substitution should go through though but nobody can say for sure. Unfortunately it depends on what the Super thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

There has been many post similar to this. It really depends on your super. In November last year I substituted a .17HMR for a .308 with no problems, however as other will tell you they have not been able to do this.

In the past I've also substituted a shotgun for a rifle, some Supers allow like for like based on usage, some on firearm type and usage, and some even go down to a level of having to be the same calibre.

I'd submit a substitution, wait a week and give your FO a call, ask them if they are happy that you filled in the application correctly. Take it from there, that is what I have always done. The FOs are normally fairly helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement