Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What If I can't afford College?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Dear Reader,
    There's probably plenty of these threads under this topic. Let me start my pre's are in four weeks and I'm in the mindset of " Oh Sh!t, I've actually have to do something if I want a future?" The big question on my mind is how do I afford College?
    I'm in the boat of my parents earn over a little the requirements for susi, I'm in that unknown area of what will I do? I've cancelled out all these student loans etc. i don't want that loan to be over my head for the next 10 years and my parents struggling to pay it. I want to go to UL but its basically €9000 which is jaw dropping. I can afford the first year but what about the other 3 years?!
    I'm asking for advice or someone to lead me in the right direction? Maybe I'll go aboard and work with no college degree if that's possible which is highly unlikely you'll need a degree too do so. I don't want too take a gap year I can't imagine myself being alone, and all my mates in college, I know that sounds stupid but I've mental health issues and can't imagine going to a college where I know no one. I know you've to make friends etc but I'd rather have mates from school in college and then branch out it makes sense in my head haha. So back to does whole thread? What I can do? The only thing i can think of is going to a local college and not doing the course I want and just hating it.

If you have any idea or recommendation for me, please comment!
    Cheers,
    *Unknown*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

hi i think you should go to the credit union and ask about a student loan every person i know had to take out a loan for college, they will set up a payment plan that you can afford, get a part time job and work your arse off during the summer and pay off as much as you can before the new year starts, you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

If you can get a job for a year and keep living at home you'd save up a decent amount towards college. Credit union is a good option.

I know plenty of people who worked lengthy enough hours when in college and it meant they had money but be careful to get the balance right. College work doesn't just happen, you need to make sure you have time for it all.

Either of your parents close to retirement? That would affect SUSI application.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carrots1

Hi there,

My advice is to apply for the course you want in UL and the other colleges too where the course you want is available. You have the first year, that's fantastic, during this summer you could get part-time work and save some money towards living costs etc, for the year.

Next year, if you need to you can apply to the credit union and you might have to do this for the following year also, but they have low enough repayment plans and you can pay it off early too when you start to work.

I'm not sure that doing a local course that your not interested in is a good idea, I think you won't have the motivation and will still need to face the costs etc of going to college the following year, and presently you have the discipline and know how to work for the results you want.

Some colleges have a student assist programme that you can apply to at the early stages of the semester and they might be able to give you a small amount of money that will help with the costs of equipping yourself for college.

You should research the dare scheme, with mental health issues there may be some supports available to you also.

Mind your mental health, don't overstress with exams etc., there are a number of ways to reach your end goal.

Best of luck and have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

ThatGuy98 wrote: »
    I don't want too take a gap year I can't imagine myself being alone, and all my mates in college, I know that sounds stupid but I've mental health issues and can't imagine going to a college where I know no one. I know you've to make friends etc but I'd rather have mates from school in college and then branch out it makes sense in my head haha. So back to does whole thread? What I can do? The only thing i can think of is going to a local college and not doing the course I want and just hating it.

If you have any idea or recommendation for me, please comment!
    Cheers,
    *Unknown*

Unless you're doing the exact same course as your friends, you're going to have to branch out right away. I found that despite going to the same college, I only really saw school/home friends at college events because of clashing schedules and they would usually be with people from their own courses anyway. It's a good experience to find new people though, try and embrace the challenge!

As for funding, a loan won't be hanging over you for loads of years especially if you delay moving out after you start working. I'm paying my own loan of 14K back at the moment at a rate of 750-1000 per month (plus rent of 200 to my parents) and I'm only on 24K, so I wouldn't rule that option out either.

Best of luck securing funding :)

Advertisement