Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small job I did this weekend

Options
  • 09-01-2017 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Small job I did for my friend this weekend. Took out old door and frame. I reduced the legs on the door frame so I didn't have to cut the new door in its width. The previous door was cut to width.

I also did the skirting in the room as well :-)

Think it all came out pretty nice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Great mitring, I'm sure you friend appreciates the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

FMG wrote: »
    Great mitring, I'm sure you friend appreciates the good work.

Ya he loves it and his wife is so delighted with the mitering around the fire place as well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C37240%2Cen.pdf
    nice job but the timber on wall behind the stove does not comply with building regs page 27 of the above link

dathi wrote: »
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C37240%2Cen.pdf
    nice job but the timber on wall behind the stove does not comply with building regs page 27 of the above link

Cheers for the link. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

So how would you have finished the skirting there then since there will be no tiling behind the stove!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Cheers for the link. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

So how would you have finished the skirting there then since there will be no tiling behind the stove!!??

Nice work 'dude but "in mind for future" just won't do.
    As dathi has pointed out, it's in breach of the fire regs.
    End of story. Full stop, new line, capital letter.
    It's in breach of the fire regs

The typical way this is done is that the hearth material is used behind the stove.

I can't see pics and type at same time so my guess is that it will need to be wider than the width of the raised hearth.

I also think the raised hearth fails the depth requirement when the door is open.

Don't take this personal, you are amongst friends here, look forward to your next project.

Keep well and best for 2017

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Nice work 'dude but "in mind for future" just won't do.
    As dathi has pointed out, it's in breach of the fire regs.
    End of story. Full stop, new line, capital letter.
    It's in breach of the fire regs

The typical way this is done is that the hearth material is used behind the stove.

I can't see pics and type at same time so my guess is that it will need to be wider than the width of the raised hearth.

I also think the raised hearth fails the depth requirement when the door is open.

Don't take this personal, you are amongst friends here, look forward to your next project.

Cheers buddy. I wasn't aware of a building regulation as to what I did to be honest. Any time iv done skirting I always finish it up to tiles that are put on the wall behind the stove.

Happy new year to you as well!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Is the hearth supposed to be flush with the floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

laugh wrote: »
    Is the hearth supposed to be flush with the floor?

hearth needs to extend a foot (300mm) from the front of a openable stove afaik, is what I think is being referred to here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

dathi wrote: »

Well, you learn something new every day :)

Advertisement