Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun safe inspections?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

As a follow-on from the thread about Safe keys, how many here have ever had a Garda actually inspect their security setup?
    I have had three guns for nigh on twenty years, and never been inspected. Only put in a safe five years ago, though.
    Changed to a centre fire, and when leaving in forms,the Guard at the station asked if I had a Safe installed.
    When I said I had, he asked how much I paid for it. When told, he replied "It must be a good one" and that was the last I heard about it. Live in rural area, if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I had an inspection a couple of months ago when I applied for my pistol license. I have a .22 rifle already locked away in a safe and I thought I could house the pistol in the same safe. The FO called out for a look and told me, not only did I need a separate safe for the pistol but it couldn't even be in the same room as the rifle safe. On top of that I also needed a separate lock box to store my ammo completely separate from both the pistol and rifle. He did a follow up visit a week or so later when he was " just passing " to see all was in place. Like you I am in the middle of the country on a farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

The crime prevention officer will come inspect your setup if you have over a certain amount of guns, four or more or a restricted gun if I remember correctly.
    They see if you have a monitored alarm and safe and that your house meets to basic security standards.
    Youd get about a week to get your setup up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

CPO has been to the house 5 times for me. Always when away happy with my setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Had them twice. Happy both times. Always found them helpful and nice

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jimmyd87

They only asked to see my safe when I was applying for the .308 for deer, Im assuming the more serious the hardware, the more diligent they become about actually making sure lads have safes. You would want to be mad not to have a decent safe in a suitable location in any instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Before my 1st licence (22) was procesed local garda paid me a visit. Check if safe is already fixed to walls, house alarm present etc. He said without it he wouldn't even touch my application. And tbh i think this is the way it suppose to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

About four or five times over the last eight years.Always have the decency to call me a few days in advance.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Depending on the county you'll even get the Cpo out on a Sunday, very flexible and helpful people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

My local lad came out when I asked him to visit. Tea bickies the works. It's a small rural station now closed.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Crime Prevention Officer checked my setup. He did a very detailed check on the house, safes, alarm, windows, doors etc. He was extremely thorough.

He did his best at one stage to rip the safe from the wall but it didn't budge. (Phew) :D

After that he was happy with my setup. Sound guy to be honest. We had a good chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

Hi there lads, sorry but if you don't mind me jumping in, what are the actual minimum requirements for the alarm in the house.

In the summer I will be applying for a what will be a fourth gun going in the house, two shotguns and rifle a present, fourth will be another shotgun.
    The young lads are growing up quick behind me.

As I understand it has to be a monitored alarm, but does every room need to be alarmed or just a room with a gun safe, what about front and back door.
    As for the monitoring does it have to be by a specific monitoring company or can you just have text alerts to the phone
    I live in a rented house although it's a long-term lease I wouldn't like to have you spent too much on alarm and then leave the house within 3 to 5 years.

Any information would be Great

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    As a follow-on from the thread about Safe keys, how many here have ever had a Garda actually inspect their security setup?
    I have had three guns for nigh on twenty years, and never been inspected. Only put in a safe five years ago, though.
    Changed to a centre fire, and when leaving in forms,the Guard at the station asked if I had a Safe installed.
    When I said I had, he asked how much I paid for it. When told, he replied "It must be a good one" and that was the last I heard about it. Live in rural area, if that makes any difference.

When I was renewing my shotgun licence last year the Garda asked if I had a gun safe which I don't have. He said I needed to get a trigger lock because if I were inspected I could be fined :rolleyes: I'd say he was bored or having an off day or just trying to show his authority.

My Super insisted that the rooms that had safes in them had to have a monitored alarm, both landline and with GSM backup. I have every room in the house alarmed so he was happy with my setup.

Not only did he check my alarm setup, he also checked my front and back door for strength, types of locking mechanisms etc. They also had to be to a certain standard (apologies but I can't remember what they were).

The guidelines are a minimum standard and your Super has the power to insist on going above and beyond those guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Sam Kade wrote: »
    When I was renewing my shotgun licence last year the Garda asked if I had a gun safe which I don't have. He said I needed to get a trigger lock because if I were inspected I could be fined :rolleyes: I'd say he was bored or having an off day or just trying to show his authority.

And attitudes like yours are some of the problem.

And attitudes like yours are some of the problem.

As far as I'm aware, you don't need a gun safe if you have only one shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

The Cpo is out to check my place when ever i get a new rifle or twice a year.
    Quick test of the security system, safe fixings and lighting and good to go.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, you don't need a gun safe if you have only one shotgun.

I'm well aware what's required. You don't need a safe for a single shotgun unless Super says you do. However, it seems he doesn't even have a trigger lock or does he realise the gun is meant to be broken down and the parts stored in separate places as well as a trigger lock in the absence of a safe either.

In this day & age a safe should be mandatory for all firearms even if it's not legally required.

I've had 2 x inspections and passed both no bother and have way more security than I supposed to have but I take my responsibilities as a firearm owner very seriously unlike some obviously. People who throw their eyes up at sound advice from Gardai make you wonder should they have firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Kat1170

People who throw their eyes up at sound advice from Gardai make you wonder should they have firearms.

If you think threatening someone that they could be fined :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: for not having a trigger lock is sound advice you are deluded. Please, please show me in the firearms act where this is written.

You hear more complaints about these ignorant bully boy scare mongering tactics than is acceptable.

A simple bit of helpful LEGAL information on safe gun storage will go much further and be far more likely to be taken onboard than Bullsh1t.

And before you say it, yes the Super is entitled to request(demand) a gunsafe or trigger lock if he/she see's fit and that's ok, but it is not ok for some Guard to make stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

I really don't understand why people are caught up on the minimum requirements. Think of it this way, the lad or lady breaking into your home isn't an angel and more than likely will not be using your firearm for any good.

Personally, from day one I've had 3 safes, firearms in one, bolt - mags - slides in another and ammo in the third. House was always monitored by group 4 security and last year upgrade the alarm again to GSM. The safe with the firearms is also alarmed 24x7 regardless if the alarm is set or not. It's setup as a panic zone so the alarm dials the monitoring center immediately if the safe is messed with.

I also have full control from my phone so if you even have a brain fart and can't remember if the house alarm is set or not, I can simply check it remotely. If I could electrify the thing I would.

Ok, monitoring costs a couple hundred quid a year, but so does a couple of boxes of 308 ammo.

Could you imagine how you'd feel if one of your firearms were use in a criminal act all for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Please, please show me in the firearms act where this is written.

And before you say it, yes the Super is entitled to request(demand) a gunsafe or trigger lock if he/she see's fit and that's ok,

You should have a read of the relevant SI & too a lesser extent the Guidelines on the matter.

• Advertisement

yes the Super is entitled to request(demand) a gunsafe or trigger lock if he/she see's fit and that's ok, but it is not ok for some Guard to make stuff up.

"Some Guard" is ensuring that the public is kept safe from incompetent gun owners who's houses could become a target due to their failure to secure their home. If your underable to understand this then you should sell your gun.

You should have a read of the relevant SI & too a lesser extent the Guidelines on the matter.

There's the link to the relevant S.I.

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/SI%20307%202009%20FIREARMS%20(SECURE%20ACCOMMODATION)%20REGULATIONS%202009.pdf

BattleCorp wrote: »

Thanks. Hopefully you've not wasted your time & those who need to see it do.

I'm not sure of the fine bit but I reckon that and/or a jail term ar a possibility & you'd risk revocation of your licence if you don't follow all the relevant legislation.

Thanks. Hopefully you've not wasted your time & those who need to see it do.

I'm not sure of the fine bit but I reckon that and/or a jail term ar a possibility & you'd risk revocation of your licence if you don't follow all the relevant legislation.

If you didn't receive a fine or a jail term, I'm fairly sure that your licence wouldn't be renewed. And that would really hurt.

I'm all for securing your guns, money, jewellery as much as possible, but, at the end of the day you could end up like one of my friends in work. he had no guns but a very nice car. Woke up one night with two scumbags standing over him and his wife, one had a hammer raised over his wife. I can tell you now, he couldn't give them the keys quickly enough. Real kicker for him was it was the first new car he ever owned.

If they want what you have, they'll get it. One way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

I'm all for securing your guns, money, jewellery as much as possible, but, at the end of the day you could end up like one of my friends in work. he had no guns but a very nice car. Woke up one night with two scumbags standing over him and his wife, one had a hammer raised over his wife. I can tell you now, he couldn't give them the keys quickly enough. Real kicker for him was it was the first new car he ever owned.

If they want what you have, they'll get it. One way or the other.

And if he's a proper alarm and security on the house he'd of woken long before the two scumbags made it upstairs to stand at the end of his bed.

The logic of sure if they want it they'll take it so there's no point doing anything doesn't cut it when it comes to firearms security.

Then they'll wait until you step outside your door, or worse, until your wife/kids do. If they want it, really want it, then they will get it. :(

Tiger kidnapping's anyone ??

Every time I park up my bike it has three locks and an alarm on it. Won't stop scum from stealing it if they want it but hopefully it will make the poor buggers that is parked beside mine seem like an easier option. At the end of the day you can only do so much but its up to each individual to decide when enough becomes too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Then they'll wait until you step outside your door, or worse, until your wife/kids do. If they want it, really want it, then they will get it. :(

Tiger kidnapping's anyone ??

Every time I park up my bike it has three locks and an alarm on it. Won't stop scum from stealing it if they want it but hopefully it will make the poor buggers that is parked beside mine seem like an easier option. At the end of the day you can only do so much but its up to each individual to decide when enough becomes too much.

At the end of the day when it comes to firearms it's not your choice to decide it's the supers

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    At the end of the day when it comes to firearms it's not your choice to decide it's the supers

Of course its my choice, its my choice if I want to take the Supers requirements as being the maximum I want or the minimum I will work from.

• Advertisement

So you've gone from we need no security as the legislation doesn't say we do to and now you've decided to argue that we shouldn't bother as we may be the victim of a tiger kidnapping. The security is to prevent the more possible burglary while you're out scenario than a tiger kidnapping scenario.

Advertisement