Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace battery in wired HKC SABB?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Is the backup battery replaceable in these and is it easy enough to do considering I'd be up a ladder?

The manual refers to a service interval of 5 years so I presume if it's "serviceable" that there would be replacement battery packs available.. if so, how much?

Or does the whole thing have to be replaced when the battery dies?
    (I'm talking about the wired one here)

Tx!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How long is the bell installed?
    You really shouldn't be having battery issues with that unit.In most cases the battery lasts the lifetime of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Pauley2

Here's what happened: The SABB was mounted about 5 years ago but only the LEDs were used - the rest of it was not connected and therefore no trickle charge to the battery (long story - won't go into detail here...). So, essentially it's been sitting around outside for 5 years so the battery is likely shot - and I'm concerned may even cause a problem if connected to the panel in such a state. Now it's (finally!) time to connect it up and I thought I'd pop in a new battery pack before doing so - if possible/feasible...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yeah its easily done. Easiest option is take the old one out and bring it with you to a suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is this a wired bell OP?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is this a wired bell OP?

That was what I was wondering too, strange isn't it?

Thought so myself. But he has reiterated its wired each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kub wrote: »
    That was what I was wondering too, strange isn't it?

Yeah it is.

OP, there won't be a problem connecting it up. Worst case scenario will be that if someone cuts the cable to the bell it won't activate on its own.

Looks like there's a desire for all the murky details - and I was trying to spare everybody!

YES - it's Wired (per the title of the thread and the detail in the first post!)

Boring details follow:
    Original setup was an ancient panel with no BHO or Tamper return. It simply had 2 sets of + & - terminals for basic connection to a separate siren and separate strobe light.

5 years or so ago the strobe light died.. It was taken down and a HKC SABB installed in its place but using only the Strobe connections back to the old panel. As the old panel didn't have BHO and Tamper return, these (and the bell terminals) were left disconnected at the HKC (the panel still had the old siren connected and could use that for sound...).

All this was meant to be "temporary" until a new panel was installed but "temporary" turned into 5 years!

That's it!

Pauley2 wrote: »
    Looks like there's a desire for all the murky details - and I was trying to spare everybody!

YES - it's Wired (per the title of the thread and the detail in the first post!)

Boring details follow:
    Original setup was an ancient panel with no BHO or Tamper return. It simply had 2 sets of + & - terminals for basic connection to a separate siren and separate strobe light.

5 years or so ago the strobe light died.. It was taken down and a HKC SABB installed in its place but using only the Strobe connections back to the old panel. As the old panel didn't have BHO and Tamper return, these (and the bell terminals) were left disconnected at the HKC (the panel still had the old siren connected and could use that for sound...).

All this was meant to be "temporary" until a new panel was installed but "temporary" turned into 5 years!

That's it!

Us techies are weird we get a buzz out of such details :D

The SAB will not know or care whether it is getting its power from BHO terminals or power terminals.
    That will keep the battery in the SAB charged up, providing of course it was actually connected up in the first place.

I am wondering do you feel this battery replacement is necessary because the light from the l.e.d.s on the SAB are not as prominent as before.
    This could simply be due to a film of dirt that builds up on the lens beneath the l.e.d.s

• Advertisement

My concern was that after 5 years of being connected to nothing and fully depleting itself the battery could be shorted or something (like I've seen with car batteries where a cell dies) and then cause a problem when reconnected to a new panel. That's why I was thinking of replacing it - nothing to do with LED brightness etc. just don't want to mess up a new panel...

I'll connect to a separate 12v charging source tomorrow and if all goes well (i.e. no smoke!) will try it to a new panel.

I'll report back!

Pauley2 wrote: »
    My concern was that after 5 years of being connected to nothing and fully depleting itself the battery could be shorted or something (like I've seen with car batteries where a cell dies) and then cause a problem when reconnected to a new panel. That's why I was thinking of replacing it - nothing to do with LED brightness etc. just don't want to mess up a new panel...

I'll connect to a separate 12v charging source tomorrow and if all goes well (i.e. no smoke!) will try it to a new panel.

I'll report back!

Absolutely do let us know.

..Well, I connected it up to an old panel to test charge an nothing nasty happened, so I went ahead and connected to my new panel - all seems OK.

As I had been up the ladder anyway (changing the tamper res) I did consider just pulling the battery pack out, but at least on the one I have it looked pretty much sealed in there for life and I wasn't going to wrestle with it on top of the ladder...

Tx all!

Advertisement