Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something uploaded 7Gb last night, and cost me €35!

• 09-01-2017 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi. Not sure of the correct forum to post this in.

I have a 60Gb Three mobile BB plan.

I keep a very close eye (daily) on the usage on the Three website. Last night, I had about 7Gb left.

This evening I came to find my 7Gb gone, and I had racked up €35 in costs for about 600Mb over the limit before the thing was cut off automatically.

My Huawei E5220 router said 7Gb had been uploaded since about 10PM last night, and some messages were sent by Three to my Dongle at 11AM today saying I had hit the limit.

So some bloody thing uploaded 7Gb when either everyone was asleep, or gone to work/school. 100% no-one in the house was on the internet at that time. Some application did it of its own accord. I checked kids & wife's phones, wife's laptop etc (I wondered did my wife's Dropbox re-upload itself or something). Usage statistics aren't that detailed, but there was no clear culprit. I also have a zGemma H2S satellite box, that should have very little usage.

The E5220 doesn't seem to let me know what connected device used the data.

So:

1. I'd love to figure out what device did the damage - any ideas if this is accessible on a device like this?
    2. Now I'm worried about this happening again. What are my monitoring options? Are there fancier wifi mobile BB modem/routers that will let me monitor/control/limit usage more closely?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Best solution is to turn it off when not in use ...... turn off at night and power up again following evening.

Also it might be possible that the usage was not from inside your home ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you have is a "MiFi" device. Its designed to be light and portable.

Buy a better unit (B593 or similar) and you'll be able to auto cut off when you hit 59.9GB. Per device stats I'm not sure.

BTW if you get a 20E AYCE phone(not broadband) sim you can have unlimited data for €20/month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Windows 10 has a feature whereby your PC could be uploading updates to other PC's over the internet. You should check that this feature is turned off.

degsie wrote: »
    Windows 10 has a feature whereby your PC could be uploading updates to other PC's over the internet. You should check that this feature is turned off.

Wow, I was unaware of this!
    I find this very very shocking!

This might help turn off that 'feature' ...
    http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

But then you do need patches and updates to keep your PC safe and secure...

• Advertisement

But then you do need patches and updates to keep your PC safe and secure...

Did you not read this from the link above?
    Select the option you prefer under “Updates from more than one place.” We recommend just selecting “PCs on my local network” here.

Off: This disables the peer-to-peer update feature entirely. Updates will only be downloaded from Microsoft’s servers, and won’t be uploaded to anywhere.
    PCs on my local network: This is the best option. With this enabled, you’ll benefit from peer-to-peer updates on your home or work network. This means faster downloads and less download bandwidth used. You’ll only have to download the updates once and they’ll be shared amongst all your PCs. Your PC will never upload updates over the Internet.
    PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet: This option is the default, although it probably shouldn’t be. With this enabled, Windows 10 will upload updates from your PC to other computers over the Internet. These computers would normally just download updates from Microsoft, but Microsoft will save on bandwidth because they’re getting some updates from your Internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I never knew that was built into Windows 10, just checked and mine was on as well.

I'm not to worried about bandwidth when the pc in on but if you disable it does it slow down downloads, just downloading a game at the moment and it's 100GB, as it's play anywhere game (pc/xbox) through the app store on windows does it mean I then become a seed for that game?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Windows patch Tuesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I never knew that was built into Windows 10, just checked and mine was on as well.

I'm not to worried about bandwidth when the pc in on but if you disable it does it slow down downloads, just downloading a game at the moment and it's 100GB, as it's play anywhere game (pc/xbox) through the app store on windows does it mean I then become a seed for that game?

It's quite possible as this 'delivery optimisation' applies to apps also.

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization

Advertisement