Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Project Copies

Options
  • 09-01-2017 11:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭

I was wondering what the guidelines are for the project copies in regards to plagiarism? I'm not talking about copying the person next to me. For homework, I always wrote up these projects with studying over them in mind, hence why I wrote them up almost identical to the way they were written up in our Science books. Do I need to start over or is this okay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭leinsterjack

My Science Teacher (Who apparently is quite high up in the SEC) said that it does matter, you should try to change things where you can. For example, if you modified your experiment slightly in the process, that is what you should write up.

Don't worry though. I think the majority of students copy it from the book, I wouldn't be too worried and get some advice from your teacher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

Thanks, will ask my teacher when I get the chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Every year, schools have marks withheld because of this.

Obviously if you are writing up the same experiments there will be similarities, but some people clearly copy from other students in the class. The trouble is, the person who actually did the work gets caught up in it along with the copiers.

If your teacher gives you 'guidelines' which you know most people in the class are just copying, you should write some bits in your own words, or add bits yourself and DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE COPY YOUR STUFF.

spurious wrote: »
    Every year, schools have marks withheld because of this.

Obviously if you are writing up the same experiments there will be similarities, but some people clearly copy from other students in the class. The trouble is, the person who actually did the work gets caught up in it along with the copiers.

If your teacher gives you 'guidelines' which you know most people in the class are just copying, you should write some bits in your own words, or add bits yourself and DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE COPY YOUR STUFF.

We have a science book which has the experiments written up in them completely. I'm pretty sure many schools use this book too, so I'm a tad bit worried now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We have a science book which has the experiments written up in them completely. I'm pretty sure many schools use this book too, so I'm a tad bit worried now.

Just change some bits of them.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Just change some bits of them.

OK thanks, guess I'll just change the way it's worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭leinsterjack

Just curious, is it Exploring Science?

Advertisement