Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

StylePro Brush Cleaner

Options
  • 10-01-2017 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Looking for some Boardsies thoughts/opinions/experiences of this brush cleaning device?

Is it worth it? Is it over hyped?

I'm interested in it, but at €60+ its a little steep, that said, anything that makes my life or brush cleaning easier, I'm interested.

Seen plenty of bloggers talk about this, which makes me suspicious as I'm generally not sucked in by the hype.

Would love to hear some opinions from Boardsies if any of have this or have used it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

IMO it is completely overhyped. i've had it for over a year and have used it less than 3 times. Quite simply, it sounds great but is not hygienic. It only effectively works with the Stylpro brush cleaner which costs 15e a bottle and gets filthy after "cleaning" first brush. I've tried with lots of different detergents (hair shampoo, baby shampoo, Daiso detergent, Dr Bronner castille soap etc.) and none of them cleaned my brushes completely.

I've lost respect for any "influencer" who demos or recommends this tbh and if I saw a makeup artist use this to clean brushes during the course of a makeup application, I would get up and walk out on the spot. Nobody likes cleaning brushes but fail to see how you can swirl brush in dirty solution, spin and use again without rinsing with clean water at least once. Hate washing makeup brushes and would love it there was an effective and hygienic brush cleaning device on market which would take pain away but the reality is that the Stylpro is not that. I also found that when I used it, I didn't actually save all that much time.

Also, I am also dubious of any product that has been released and available of market for over a year having such a huge press drop to boost sales - the vast majority of people I know who are not sponsored by pharmacies would not buy the Stylpro again. I would skip this one and save the 65 quid.
    Hi all

Looking for some Boardsies thoughts/opinions/experiences of this brush cleaning device?

Is it worth it? Is it over hyped?

I'm interested in it, but at €60+ its a little steep, that said, anything that makes my life or brush cleaning easier, I'm interested.

Seen plenty of bloggers talk about this, which makes me suspicious as I'm generally not sucked in by the hype.

Would love to hear some opinions from Boardsies if any of have this or have used it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've had this for a few months. I do use it but more if the brushes just need a quick clean. It's handy enough for that. Anything that's used more often (foundation etc) I wash myself and leave to dry.

It is handy to have for me but not something I'd use all the time.

Unlike RebelScorned I found baby shampoo worked well with mine but like I say above, that was on lightly used brushes I was cleaning. I do find that you have to be careful to not overdry the brushes as it can lead to not being able to shape them back properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I saw a blogger review it last week, she only cleaned one brush with it and the solution was manky! I wouldn't like to clean any other brushes in that same solution, and the proper solution for it costing 15e.. I think its definitely a gimmick!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Yeah I thought as much, thanks guys.

I use Johnson's baby shampoo and get a good deep clean, prefer it that way.

I might get one of those mitt things but I'm not sure really.

The splaying of the bristles concerned me also, I've a few expensive brushes so don't fancy having the bristles ruined by over drying or splaying.

Think I'll give it a miss, esp for €60+ euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I use Moogoo Soap for cleaning my brushes with the little cleaning egg thingy from penneys and that works a treat. The soap is about €6 or €7 so less than €10 and it lasts ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

mcgiggles wrote: »
    I saw a blogger review it last week, she only cleaned one brush with it and the solution was manky! I wouldn't like to clean any other brushes in that same solution, and the proper solution for it costing 15e.. I think its definitely a gimmick!

In fairness though if you cleaned one brush in the sink with water & baby shampoo, the water would be manky too!

I didn't bother with the proper solution & works fine for me without but I do have to change the water after each brush or 2 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The stylepro looks like more hassle than it's worth IMO. You would have to change the solution after every few brushes depending on how dirty they were, you would use up the expensive solution quite quickly. Also you have to change the handle attachment for each brush and that looks quite time consuming as well.

Early in the evening, bitta baby shampoo, brush cleaning glove from Penneys, running warm water, set on a towel under the radiator upstairs where it's warmer and brushes are ready to go next morning.
    Or just buy more brushes!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I clean my cleaner brushes first then do the dirtier foundation ones. I use the same capful of cleaner for them then I clean bowl and put new cap of cleaner in then do the same again! I know defeats the purpose but it does clean them and i know they are clean (foundation ones prob a third time...) handy for me as it takes me way to long to do it any other way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

got this as a Christmas present and tried it for the first time last weekend and have to say I loved it while i agree the price is steep I prob wouldn't have bought it for myself, but it did do my brushes much quicker esp not having to wait for them to dry and i found them much cleaner than they were when I had washed them in the sink

Advertisement