Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Collection Kerry

Options
  • 10-01-2017 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am looking some help, please.
    Our waste is collected by KWD recycling. I am in North Kerry. For 2016 it cost me a total of €457.89 to get my bins collected. Small compost, recycling and standard waste bin. We are on a pay as you lift type account. And we didnt even have them out everytime we could have.

I see on KWD website that they offer year round lifts for €290 on a weigh less pay less scheme. Can anyone on this let me know how this works? How are you supposed to know what your bin weighs, or when do they tell you? Do you pay the €290 and then be slapped with a massive bill at the end of the year for the over weighs?

It stated on their website that the average household refuse bin would weigh 25KG, does this mean the bin you put out at the road? THere is no way mine would weigh that little. Which means if that is what they base their lifts on then I would be way over the allocated weight????

I just have no idea, but i feel I am paying an absolute fortune for waste collection, or is this the norm??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    JB

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

JB81 wrote: »
    Hi All

I am looking some help, please.
    Our waste is collected by KWD recycling. I am in North Kerry. For 2016 it cost me a total of €457.89 to get my bins collected. Small compost, recycling and standard waste bin. We are on a pay as you lift type account. And we didnt even have them out everytime we could have.

I see on KWD website that they offer year round lifts for €290 on a weigh less pay less scheme. Can anyone on this let me know how this works? How are you supposed to know what your bin weighs, or when do they tell you? Do you pay the €290 and then be slapped with a massive bill at the end of the year for the over weighs?

It stated on their website that the average household refuse bin would weigh 25KG, does this mean the bin you put out at the road? THere is no way mine would weigh that little. Which means if that is what they base their lifts on then I would be way over the allocated weight????

I just have no idea, but i feel I am paying an absolute fortune for waste collection, or is this the norm??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    JB

We are with Higgins waste in Tralee. There's no other real competition as KWD don't do all of tralee nor were they taking on new customers last year.

Higgins charge €12 per month on top of pay by weight. All accounts must be topped up to at least €30 or bibs won't be collected! The €12 service charge is debited from the account on the 1st of every month. It's a bit of a joke! We have a recycling bin, general waste & a food caddy. I could pay in and around €12 per lift give or take, every 2 weeks, but that's not including the amount I have to top account up to. We have an an online account with Higgins and we can see how much each bin weight was & payments. We also can top up account online.

I haven't worked out what that is annually but I have spoken to others who have worked it out & it's not much different to KWD.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I gave up on waste collection when Higgins brought in that ridiculous standing charge. I now bring my waste to Higgins - which I can do without too much effort because I make every effort to minimise the waste my household produces.

I compost at home and typicly visit Higgins once a month with a waste bag and two recycling bags costing the princely sum of €8.50. Papers & magazines, food & drink cans and glass bottles/jars are free.

Naturally this isn't practice for everyone but from how busy Higgins's yard is, I'm definitely not the only one doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

thanks for the replies, would love to be able to take my waste to the depot, but logistically not an option, and we would have way more than one bag a month! Fair play to you.

Anyone out there have any dealing with KWD in terms of the pay by weight?

Regards
    JB

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

JB81 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies, would love to be able to take my waste to the depot, but logistically not an option, and we would have way more than one bag a month! Fair play to you.

Anyone out there have any dealing with KWD in terms of the pay by weight?

Regards
    JB

North Kerry also, family of six for 2016 it was 371, 360 for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

North Kerry also, family of six for 2016 it was 371, 360 for 2017.

Thanks for that,

So are you on the pay by lift scheme ( Pay €130 per year and €11`for waste, €6 for recycling and €2 for compost ) ?

Or do you pay the €290 ( i think ) per year and pay for extra weight after that?

Regards
    JB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Must be the second one, id say it's estimated on previous year but have never got a statement telling me my weight for the year or any other information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Skylink

I got bill today from KWD, for coming year , October 18 to OCtober 19.
    I do not agree with their method of "estimating" one's weight of refuse for the coming year.
    Their method is legally not a bill per lift service, as it is supposed to be , according to GOvernment policy, so I did not renew my contract with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Skylink wrote: »
    I got bill today from KWD, for coming year , October 18 to OCtober 19.
    I do not agree with their method of "estimating" one's weight of refuse for the coming year.
    Their method is legally not a bill per lift service, as it is supposed to be , according to GOvernment policy, so I did not renew my contract with them.

Who did you go with .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

JB81 wrote:

We are with KWD and on the 290 pa plan. Here in Ballybunion they only come round every 2 weeks, and they dont come down our lane so I have to bring bins up to main road.... but thats a gripe for a different topic.

We dont put out bins every time and dont get charged over the 290 so I guess their weigh system (if it exists!) says we are ok. If you don't put out your bins you still get a charge (cant remember how much), so its not a true "by weight" system.

We do get an itemised bill and the number of lifts is correct, so thats good. They must have some way of identifying each bin back to an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We are with KWD and on the 290 pa plan. Here in Ballybunion they only come round every 2 weeks, and they dont come down our lane so I have to bring bins up to main road.... but thats a gripe for a different topic.

We dont put out bins every time and dont get charged over the 290 so I guess their weigh system (if it exists!) says we are ok. If you don't put out your bins you still get a charge (cant remember how much), so its not a true "by weight" system.

We do get an itemised bill and the number of lifts is correct, so thats good. They must have some way of identifying each bin back to an account.

All of the bins have an identity disc slotted into them that's scanned each time that the bin is "lifted". so it's dead easy to tie each bin to an account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

ejmaztec wrote:
    All of the bins have an identity disc slotted into them that's scanned each time that the bin is "lifted". so it's dead easy to tie each bin to an account.

Yea, but all the years I have been using the bins, there has never been a variation in charges, and there have been some heavy bins! I guess we have just been lucky...

Advertisement