Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Temperatures dropping here, currently 3.9c and dew point -1.1c

Remind me what it has to be for snow (if it happens) to stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Big relieved grin on Jerry face on the forecast as the snow line retreats away from ireland and showers turn back to schleet by late friday.you could sense his anticipation to get the end of the forecast to reassure us that the mildness would be back by saturday. He must hate the shnow and da shleelt.

my god, the pain and torment we've had to go through to get a few snow showers for a 24 hour period and some will still see nothing, as small as the island is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Is Cork airport situated on high ground?

Cork airport is Almost 600ft asl
    The DUB TAF is prepared by met Eireann staff at Dublin Airport afaik
    I don't know about the others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

It's definitely going to be lamppost watching over nite and I wouldn't listen to met eireann or the met office at this stage because they can't even pin it down.
    Between now and tomorrow nite some parts of Ireland will have snow. Other parts will have some flurries ie now casting. Don't forget to get the pictures of snow up :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

horsefarm wrote: »
    Temperatures dropping here, currently 3.9c and dew point -1.1c

Remind me what it has to be for snow (if it happens) to stick?

What's your ground temperature?

The only thing going in anyone's favour for snow sticking is this strong drying wind might dry out the top few centimetres of soil and it might cool down quicker.
    Also it should stick on a heavy cover of grass keeping it up off the ground.

A big cheer now. :P

Knock Airport has recorded snow and a temperature of 3c at 17.00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

http://www.bbc.com/weather/6296696

BBC Weather seems to be predicting snow for Cork Airport from 12pm - 9pm on thursday it looks like o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Is Cork airport situated on high ground?

Yeah not sure how high. A bit of a micro climate out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport is 154M(505ft) above mean sea level. Knock 203 meters(665 ft).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I remember back in the year 2001 or 2000 there was a snowmageddon forecast,a total whiteout.
    It was coming from the north west, it blew over Ireland and offloaded in the UK
    I remember being in Tulla Co Clare watching the brown cloud's racing by.... Totally disappointed I was lol

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

The Munster snow downgrade is to do with that lovely little low over Clare/Limerick that diverted north during the last two runs. This was for Thurs evening. Hopefully things will still change or it will magically change course again.

(Hopefully the images work, sorry poor quality, snapped them on my phone.)

[IMG][/img]32212591426_2e22faf675_z.jpgIMG_0596 by Rod Smith, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]31874929340_4deeea3948_z.jpgIMG_0597 (1) by Rod Smith, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Latest Euro4 looks ok. Some will get snow if accurate.
    17011309_1112.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There best be snow in either Newbridge or Portarlington or there will be multiple toys released from the pram :D:D:D:p

Its all in the balance , but hey its great to see the place busy :)
    370 (114 members & 256 guests) Moderators : 5

Oscar Bravo, Gaw_, munsterlegend, downwiththatsor, digiman, aonchraic, pistolpetes11, Rougies, Harry Palmr, Donegal Storm, Vinnie222, Easterly Beasterly, okla, heffoo, delta42, Supercell, mvron, dexter647, laurach, scooby77, pedigree 6, Sierra Oscar, sundodger5, kittyn, homenotaway, Reckless Abandonment, icesnowfrost, Snowbiee21, koutoubia, Aaronh86, jambofc, blackbird99, P.lane78, Booms, Snoddy, glasso, redsteveireland, Soccarboy11, The HorsesMouth, oisingeogho, Tom Cruises Left Nut, treehead, brianwalshcork, aurora 527, saxman 1, Mint Sauce, captain_boycott, Strangegravy, Saganist, nacho libre, JCX BXC, Lithium1376, Iseedeadpixels, heebusjeebus, Bottlescrew, ffarrell7, Queenalocin, finlma, squarecircles, kazoo106, mickger844posts, Ecotone, mountainy man, Kh1993, OldRio, 141_Oscar_Mike, channaigh, Grim., wowzer, Triboro, bd2012, Diablo Verde, 20/20, JazzyJ, bee06, captainwang, fjon, nedsgarden, jackboy, jvan, Kristopherus, Ahorseofaman, CCFCRebel, Reiketsu, Yourself isit, hotwhiskey, pad199207, asteroids over berlin, EletricMan, missfarmer, shmaupel, MrBob, jds0ur, steer, Call me Al, finnharpsboy, joeysoap, pmq71, cianon, alta stare, davi31, irishfeen, john why, Shorty69664

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

17011309_1112.gif
    Define OK?
    A few showers at best if we are honest.

forecast on rte radio 1 in a minute with Joan blackburn

Define OK?
    A few showers at best if we are honest.
    If you live where its pink would be my definition ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

If you live where its pink would be my definition ;)

But that's theoretical accumulation if everything that falls doesn't melt, or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

17011309_1112.gif

Jasus it looks like the snow is scared of Dublin...

But that's theoretical accumulation if everything that falls doesn't melt, or am I mistaken?
    You could very well be right that it will come to nothing but i would presume it is predicted accumulation depth, although may not be accurate as others have claimed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93794907&postcount=277

The Munster snow downgrade is to do with that lovely little low over Clare/Limerick that diverted north during the last two runs. This was for Thurs evening. Hopefully things will still change or it will magically change course again.

(Hopefully the images work, sorry poor quality, snapped them on my phone.)

[IMG][/img]32212591426_2e22faf675_z.jpgIMG_0596 by Rod Smith, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]31874929340_4deeea3948_z.jpgIMG_0597 (1) by Rod Smith, on Flickr
    That might be no bad thing for us on the east coast.
    Any precipitation is going to be on the southwest flank of the low anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

DellyBelly wrote: »
    i really don't like ot give out my address on a public forum but I'm currently in the northwest

Who the hell is going to recognise you anyway????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Haven't plowed through the whole discussion yet but worth noting that unusually low thickness values are forecast at mid-day tomorrow (below 516 dm) and this would suggest extremely unstable conditions with this air mass; any convective showers that form will have the potential to produce heavy snowfall rates briefly and so I think the best planning here is to say that snow could fall almost anywhere and could briefly be disruptive. But longer periods of it seem likely where the models are showing accumulations. It probably doesn't mean that where models are dry, no snow will be observed. Soon find out anyway.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    That might be no bad thing for us on the east coast.
    Any precipitation is going to be on the southwest flank of the low anyway.

Are you not in west Clare?

Haven't plowed through the whole discussion yet but worth noting that unusually low thickness values are forecast at mid-day tomorrow (below 516 dm) and this would suggest extremely unstable conditions with this air mass; any convective showers that form will have the potential to produce heavy snowfall rates briefly and so I think the best planning here is to say that snow could fall almost anywhere and could briefly be disruptive. But longer periods of it seem likely where the models are showing accumulations. It probably doesn't mean that where models are dry, no snow will be observed. Soon find out anyway.

Now that's the unexpected positive update that was needed. Thanks MT

Are you not in west Clare?

I'm in wexford. JCX BXC is in west clare.

Sorry yes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

BBC going for some possible bands of Snow into Leinster tomorrow evening. Something to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Plenty of snow for Ireland on the BBC news weather forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And I'm not hopeful of accumulations of snow either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just checked the lamp posts in Sligo. Appears calm so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement