Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    I don't think so. It has only got cold in Poland since the New Year...not since October..pure rubbish.

oh he's off again :rolleyes:

he lives on high ground and has posted pics to prove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

kittyn wrote: »
    I think Snaps should know as he lives there ......

I do know somebody that was in krakow in decenber and said it was actually strangely mild. They were expecting it to be Baltic cold. Probably depends where in Poland but you would think krakow being southern Poland would be among the older locations?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Did Gerry have a bad experience with snow when he was young? Really seems to hate cold weather.....

He uses he powers of reverse psychology on the weather.

But he is so sure this time that he doesn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

snaps wrote: »
    Good luck lads for the next few days....I'm sick of the sight of snow here now (Been laying since mid October), Life is truly hard here if you have been following the winter thread?
    Currently drifting snow and -12 in Southern Poland.
    Its looking like after 4 days of snow and warmer temps here until Sunday, we will be back in the freezer from the East. So hopefully these ECM charts will come true for you and you can tap into some real cold, Instead of that Polar Atlantic muck you quite often get served!

I don't think so. It has only got cold in Poland since the New Year...not since October..pure rubbish.

It was certainly snow free in Krakow when I left it in early November. Though our plane did have to be deiced before takeoff and there was a snow flurry as we taxied to the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'm not so sure where the confidence on tomorrow night is coming from re rte forecast.
    For me the action is early on with midday looking particularly snowy.
    My punt is for an early surprise and for showers to ease off after dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How many feet is significant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Good luck lads for the next few days....I'm sick of the sight of snow here now (Been laying since mid October), Life is truly hard here if you have been following the winter thread?
    Currently drifting snow and -12 in Southern Poland.
    Its looking like after 4 days of snow and warmer temps here until Sunday, we will be back in the freezer from the East. So hopefully these ECM charts will come true for you and you can tap into some real cold, Instead of that Polar Atlantic muck you quite often get served!

We have had snow since October 12th here. The extreme cold (-37 officially recorded 5km away) has only been here since New year, yes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Chances of snow have increased for many with the development of the Polar front tomorrow evening. Both Met Eireann and BBC/Met Office singing from the same hymn sheet so exciting times. With the ECM 12z output again today showing an Easterly for next week certainly a lot for cold fans to potentially look forward too.

www.waterfordcityweather.com
    www.waterfordweather.com

I'm not so sure where the confidence on tomorrow night is coming from re rte forecast.
    For me the action is early on with midday looking particularly snowy.
    My punt is for an early surprise and for showers to ease off after dark

Go here and look :-
    http://en.sat24.com/en/eu

It's the small low pressure system forming below Iceland that is now beginning to be push south towards us in the Artic flow coming down the left side of the main low above the UK. You can see it is now barging it's way into the clusters of showers that are in the Polar Maritime airmass. Interesting developments underway...

I do know somebody that was in krakow in decenber and said it was actually strangely mild. They were expecting it to be Baltic cold. Probably depends where in Poland but you would think krakow being southern Poland would be among the older locations?!
    I live in the mountains on Slovakian border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

think someone pissed in ffarrells chips today

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

We have had snow since October 12th here. The extreme cold (-37 officially recorded 5km away) has only been here since New year, yes!

I was in Warsaw in Mid-December as I work with AIB for my sins....not a flake of snow for the few days I was there. Where are you?? On top of a mountain??

I live in the mountains on Slovakian border.
    I was about to ask that. I work with a guy from Poland who is from that area of Southern Poland and he said they had much more snow each winter than Krakow gets!

I was in Warsaw in Mid-December as I work with AIB for my sins....not a flake of snow for the few days I was there. Where are you?? On top of a mountain??
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057656427/2?

Go to 13th October
    Another thread for the first snow of winter. Im not on top of a mountain but I'm in the mountains (700m ASL). Warsaw has a completely different Climate to where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Think you need to hop back into that bed and get out the other side tomorrow 🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

NI Weather Advisory Service

15895065_1239493049464357_13857713802272514_n.png.21794e5194a577e184ebb55198fddf3b.png

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has issued the following weather warning.

An AMBER warning of Snow has been issued for parts of Northern Ireland. This warning comes into force at 23:30 11/01/2017 and is valid until at least 23:00 12/01/2017.
    Yellow warnings of Snow & Low Temperatures has been issued for Northern Ireland (All parts covered) This warning comes into force at 23:30 11/01/2017 and is valid until at least 23:00 12/01/2017.

A Yellow warning of High Winds has been issued for Northern Ireland (Covers all parts, highest winds in North & West) This warning is now in force and will remain in force until 06:00 12/01/2017

Colder air has been moving in across the country this evening and showers have been turning wintry, these will continue to turn wintry as the evening goes on. From late tonight any showers that affect the country will mainly be of sleet and snow at all levels and will become frequent and heavy at times especially in the North & West leading to accumulations.

AMBER area: Varying accumulations are expected over the warning area with 5 - 10cm possible, 15cm locally and up to 20cm over the highest ground by tomorrow night. However there could be larger accumulations where heavy showers occur or if they merge into longer spells of snow.

YELLOW area: Again varying accumulations over the warning area of 3 - 8cm possibly more locally and over higher ground by tomorrow night.
    Note that not all areas will receive the same amounts, it will vary across the country as the snow is expected in the form of showers. However there could be larger accumulations where heavy showers occur or merge into longer spells of snow.

There is also a risk of thunder in some of the heavier showers.
    Winds are still strong in places, with gusts of up to 60mph this will lead to blizzard like conditions and drifting snow.

These combined conditions will lead to some hazardous conditions across much of the country along with possible disruption to travel and power supplies.

Day time temperatures are unlikely to get much above freezing tomorrow and nighttime temperatures are expected to be well below freezing especially in snow covered areas. That combined with the wind chill will make it feel bitter.
    The public should be aware of possible hazardous conditions overnight and tomorrow with Ice, falling, lying & drifting snow possible and blizzard like conditions.

Please take care if travelling and stay tuned to forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

glightning wrote: »
    It was certainly snow free in Krakow when I left it in early November. Though our plane did have to be deiced before takeoff and there was a snow flurry as we taxied to the runway.

Lads, in all fairness this thread is about the threat of snow in Ireland not Poland!!! Why are we questioning someone who was wishing us luck in our quest to see snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

looking like a very good set-up for a decent fall of snow on the high hills and mountains of Munster
    get those hill walking boots out for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I think it's time I involved myself here. Long time reader of things here and uneducated, but interested.
    Looking at things the last few days, I thought it unlikely that Dublin would miss this stuff coming in, despite what the charts were saying. I reckoned the cold country would allow showers to reach Dublin intact. I'm not sure if my reasoning was right or wrong, but I'll be glued to the window looking out for my nearby lamp post at 20:00 tomorrow night!

Bring it!

BTW, thanks to the people who have a clue and contribute to this forum now and also year after year. It's a genuinely great source of excitement :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Lads, in all fairness this thread is about the threat of snow in Ireland not Poland!!! Why are we questioning someone who was wishing us luck in our quest to see snow!!!

Because he lived here and moved to Poland with his family. When he lived in Ireland before moving he was a great contribution to the weather forum and still is may I add.

• Advertisement

glightning wrote: »

I'm an ex pat (Mayo) and a long time poster here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I didn't see the 9 news, was it much of an upgrade on the 6 O'Clock ??

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Because he lived here and moved to Poland with his family. When he lived in Ireland before moving he was a great contribution to the weather forum and still is may I add.

I know that but hr was questioning him, more or less accusing him of lying. Why would he bother!!! That's all I'm saying.

I'm an ex pat (Mayo) and a long time poster here.....

No prob at all with that, my issue is with the person who questioned you and I felt it was going on a bit long that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I didn't see the 9 news, was it much of an upgrade on the 6 O'Clock ??

Forecaster was wearing ski gear

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A basic, maybe crude chart, but proves a fairly good guidance on snowfall

PHBCKq5.png?1

ekoUB4x.png

ElJ4LqM.png

PsMJpwC.png

uX0MltL.png

9Nralyz.png

I wasn't questioning the accuracy of snaps post even if other posts might have been. I even commented afterwards asking where he was and commenting about a work colleague who comes from the same area and how it got lots more snow than Krakow.

My first comment was even pointing out that despite the lack of snow when I was there I notice the wings frozen on my aircraft and how it required deicing. Also the snow flurry before takeoff. Those were surprising events for me given how on the trip it generally didn't feel cold enough for snow (though it certainly got pretty bitingly chilly just before we left). That's continental air for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

onmebike wrote: »
    BTW, thanks to the people who have a clue and contribute to this forum now and also year after year. It's a genuinely great source of excitement :-)

Well said. Any time there is extreme weather I check in here and follow the threads avidly. Thanks to the main players who put a lot of time into keeping us lurkers updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

A basic, maybe crude chart, but proves a fairly good guidance on snowfall

That's a big no for snow for Dingle and Tralee looking at the charts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

weisses wrote: »
    That's a big no for snow for Dingle and Tralee looking at the charts

The models seem to overplay the effect of proximity to the sea on snowfall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement