Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Satellite image of that snow trough to the NW which is set to hit Ulster tomorrow afternoon sometime.

sstr.png

SEm4UUy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

1.5C. and dropping slowly, waiting, waiting, waiting.......

(S.E. Sligo, high ground)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

...''Snow was general all over Ireland,it was falling softly upon the bog of Allen and,further westwards,falling softly into the dark mutinous Shannon waves,it was falling too on every lonely part of the churchyard...it lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and the headstones,on the spears of the little gate,on the barren thorns...his soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly,like the decent of their last end,on the living and the dead''

Nite,nite.
    Enjoy the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

On the living.and the dead and the Dubliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

For an event from the NW it's quite promising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Have to be honest but that reads like a DOWNGRADE for anywhere other than Ulster and north Connaught. Time will tell! :)

Regarding DUB,Tempo can be used to describe a shower that lasts 20 mins or a half hour followed by a lull followed by another
    It doesn't mean in general that the forecast is temporary , just in the case of a TAF and in Dublin airports case that each shower is temporary until the next one comes
    That's normal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rougies I think that picture will become an instant classic :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

I can report no snow as of yet here. Showers have increased in frequency over the last hour, with hail/graupel mixed in.

I'm thinking the end of the cloud band over Donegal is the boundary of the cold/warm air?

I would think showers will be of snow by 1am here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rougies wrote: »
    SEm4UUy.jpg

Didja know that 'Superman' is loosely based on Nietzsche's philosophical concept of 'the superman', which later was to give a certain fella with a funny tash funny ideas about a 'super race'?

359966.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

graupel

I've missed that word. Been a while.

• Advertisement

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Regarding DUB,Tempo can be used to describe a shower that lasts 20 mins or a half hour followed by a lull followed by another
    It doesn't mean in general that the forecast is temporary , just in the case of a TAF and in Dublin airports case that each shower is temporary until the next one comes
    That's normal

The definition of the TAF terms doesn't vary between airports! It's standardised.

The reason I say chance of instead of the exact wording of the TAF which is PROB 30% or PROB 40% is because they're pretty blanket values and from what I've been told on the A&A forum is that the PROB's usually mean that it will happen, but it's not guaranteed.

The temporary seen in the TAF means it will happen, but it won't be snowing for the full forecast, it'll be showers with lulls.

You pretty much said the jist of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anybody else find Thunder Snow just a little sad and OTT?

I have been watching weather forecasts for over 40 years now, and tonight is honestly the first time I have ever heard the phrase.

I was watching the forecast with my elderly mother, and she got into a panic about my commute home after night shift, due to the belief that we will see snow like never before. It was Thunder Snow after all.

Modern news reporting, gotta love it, eh?

NIMAN wrote: »

I have been watching weather forecasts for over 40 years now, and tonight is honestly the first time I have ever heard the phrase.

I was watching the forecast with my elderly mother, and she got into a panic about my commute home after night shift, due to the belief that we will see snow like never before. It was Thunder Snow after all.

It's an accepted and official term, it's not sensationalised. Thunder snow happens regularly in Ireland during events like these when we get snow showers from the NW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Kind of rain/sleet band is going through NW NI at the moment. Not sure if that's the colder air?

Temp down to 2.3c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The definition of the TAF terms doesn't vary between airports! It's standardised.

The reason I say chance of instead of the exact wording of the TAF which is PROB 30% or PROB 40% is because they're pretty blanket values and from what I've been told on the A&A forum is that the PROB's usually mean that it will happen, but it's not guaranteed.

The temporary seen in the TAF means it will happen, but it won't be snowing for the full forecast, it'll be showers with lulls.

You pretty much said the jist of it though.

Ah yeah
    I was just clearing it up for the other poster
    Probability 40 is in reality certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Didja know that 'Superman' is loosely based on Nietzsche's philosophical concept of 'the superman', which later was to give a certain fella with a funny tash funny ideas about a 'super race'?

I didn't know that! And the dew points are set to plummet with this new Icelandic guy too! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

NIMAN wrote: »

Not sure where you were in late Nov '10 (or 09 the regulars will correct me) when a cold air mass brought lake effect thundersnow off the tepid Irish sea onto the east coast of Leinster over a friday night. It was as rare as it was spectacular. And if it comes it can drop a very substantial amoumt of snow by Irish standards. Neither you nor your mother should panic about it, but it is a thing and it may be disruptive to motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I would like to see thunder snow with blue lightning, I know I am not asking for much.

Only saw 1 blue lightning strike in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That 2010 thunder snow was absolutely spectacular, I was lucky enough to be living on the top floor of an apartment building down by The Point at the time (7th floor I think) and I had a mn amazing view of it all. Thunder and snow are my favourite weather events, so to have them both at once...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rougies wrote: »
    I didn't know that! And the dew points are set to plummet with this new Icelandic guy too! :eek:

Ha ha! That's gas! :D

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Would love to witness an Thundersnow storm once in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Would love to witness an Thundersnow storm once in my life

It's a made up word

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

davidsr20 wrote: »
    It's a made up word

Name me one word that isn't made up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

It's a made up word

shut up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MJohnston wrote: »
    Name me one word that isn't made up ;)

Supermoon?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Mountain snow must be starting

Its 2.7c here now in Sligo n some hail in the rain now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

pauldry wrote: »
    Mountain snow must be starting

Its 2.7c here now in Sligo n some hail in the rain now

Just had a heavy hail shower about 5-10 minutes ago, lay for a few minutes but back to rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Woken an hour or so ago with heavy rain on the roof. All quiet now and the wind has died down

A bit clueless sorry but what are the chances of snow in North Cork Mallow direction, have to drive to Cork City for a hospital appointment first thing, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

It's a made up word

So long as theres lightning and snow at the same time ye can call it whatever ye want. Be it Thundersnow, Electric fleshdance....The Apocalypse

I just wanna see it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement