Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A bit clueless sorry but what are the chances of snow in North Cork Mallow direction, have to drive to Cork City for a hospital appointment first thing, thanks

It'll be wet or icy for sure, probably some sleet at least.

Snow on high ground perhaps. Purple monkey dishwasher. We're pretty much nowcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Thundersnow is one of the strangest weather phenomenons I've experienced, I remember a day back in 2010 I was walking back from school during a very heavy shower and this broken muffled sound shook everything. Given how heavy the shower was I guessed the snow was almost blocking the sound from reached the ground. Best way to describe it was a muffled radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Thundersnow is one of the strangest weather phenomenons I've experienced, I remember a day back in 2010 I was walking back from school during a very heavy shower and this broken muffled sound shook everything. Given how heavy the shower was I guessed the snow was almost blocking the sound from reached the ground. Best way to describe it was a muffled radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y09YVcCcNs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

snaps wrote: »
    It's ok lads please calm down. This thread has gone a bit NW nuts.

I do live high up granted, but this winter has been quite extreme.

All that matters is that the regular posters know me and who I am.

Currently wind is gusting here up to 80km/HR, -12 and approx 40cm lying snow. It's currently snowing from a band of precipitation from a warm front hitting the cold eastern air.

Zakopane?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Rougies wrote: »

I'm in Crumlin not far from there but didn't get to see any lightening, lucky escape! Hearing thunder during them intense showers was crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

MJohnston wrote: »
    Name me one word that isn't made up ;)

Minitornado...... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

First snow shower of the "event" right now, started as sleet now heavy wet flakes, its 1.3C. dewpoint is -1.3C.

S.E. Sligo, high ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still raining in Sligo mostly with some hail in the mix.

Atlantic really holding on

Cmonnnnarctic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Not a drop of rain in north Wicklow. It might have caught up to us by morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Precipitation has changed over to lightish snow.

Think I might just head off to bed. Models say snow isn't going to stick until 6am so no point sitting up waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Same pattern of occasional heavy showers that sound like rain, then peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Moderately heavy rain shower here in West Limerick.

120m asl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not a lot happening in Sligo Town at the mo. Odd shower and bit of wind.

The hail that fell earlier has disappeared.

Notorious wrote: »
    Not a drop of rain in north Wicklow. It might have caught up to us by morning.

Here now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just drove Dublin to North Cork via M7/M8/N73 - damp with a constistant 5C the whole way.

Snowing heavily now, 2 or three showers behind this one. Temp is 1.5c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Got up for a piss. Nothing on an elevated site in north Sligo yet. Back to bed. If I close my eyes really tight it might be all white when I wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Still nada nowt nothing in Sligo Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Still nada nowt nothing in Sligo Town.

Not much happening here either since the couple of showers earlier, getting colder tho its now 0.3C.

No, well the snow is pretty heavy here. so much so, that a slight skim has started to accumulate on the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

No snow here in Dublin. Boooooooooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

No snow here in Dublin. Boooooooooo.

Too early still, give it time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still no sign of any snow here in the far NW, heard 3am mentioned as time it would arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Patience, little ones! Patience! ;) Something is falling here ; hoping it is rain! South Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well going by practically all models and forecasters it should be snowing by now in the North and no reports of it...
    Looks like a slow start to what's a small window anyway. Disappointing so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well going by practically all models and forecasters it should be snowing by now in the North and no reports of it...
    Looks like a slow start to what's a small window anyway. Disappointing so far

Yeah was expecting to wake up to at least snow reports there. Starting to look like things are going pearshaped particularly for us down in the very south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yeah was expecting to wake up to at least snow reports there. Starting to look like things are going pearshaped particularly for us down in the very south.
    I remember saying over on NW ir was more or less a 24 hour toppler and being ridiculed.
    It's exactly what it is! Though should be a snowy one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It's a lot wetter and milder than I expected in Dublin. As said above was expecting snow reports flooding in by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

North West here. Murky dirty drizzle so far. :( I want my SNOW DAY!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's a lot wetter and milder than I expected in Dublin. As said above was expecting snow reports flooding in by now.

Rain was the forecast for Dublin this morning. Getting colder as the day goes on with no snow until later this afternoon / evening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement