Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

shmaupel wrote: »
    Very dark in Donegal Town. Heavy shower now, not entirely sure what graupel is but perhaps this is it.....

It's like soft fluffy hailstones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://en.sat24.com/en/gb

well, with the last bit of the front finally clearing the south east coast, hopefully a more active and organized band of sleet and snow showers will come down over the country in the next couple of hours, resulting in snow showers for places that have not seen any snow yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

This is like Orsen Welles "The war of the world's"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wind direction eventually changing here in Wexford, it's been S Sw much of the day but is now veering W NW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

South Donegal.... nothing but rain and some sleet on the hills. Cold miserable day. I have given up on seeing snow settling today. Grandchildren are bitterly disappointed yet again. Oh well that's Ireland for you. 2010 was the last proper snow and cold I experienced and I will probably be dead from old age or disease before the next freeze hits Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    The shower cell thats heading out of Cavan towards Meath has left the ground total white. It should hold together to reach the east.

Cavan? There's just been intermittent showers of snow in Omagh. It must have bypassed us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Kamili wrote: »
    Still very sunny but bitterly cold here in South Dublin. No sign of anything from the after 3pm predictions - holding out for the after 7pm ones now.

Damp Squib?

Hopefully not, another 16 hours or so window as I see it, BUT from post 1 in this thread we have said it could well turn out to be a damp squib - no one was misled!

I for one have enjoyed looking forward to this snow possibility and indeed looking out so far at the 3 snow showers we have had here in Cork city suburbs. After darkness hopefully they will start sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Looking a bit more organised now coming from the north west, a few might make it to the east coast and give a slight dusting, and as others have said this is a "now cast" situation, my hope would be for a bit later on, not a lot but enough...

WEB_radar5_201701121530.png

And it has got a lot colder out there with that wind chill

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Very heavy snow now on the Cavan meath border roads are white

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

coconnellz wrote: »
    Very heavy snow now on the Cavan meath border roads are white

A mere 60kms from Dublin 15. Damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Good heavy shower there east Galway but only lasted a few mins. Prob is there short bursts not settling

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Heavy snow in roscommon, sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty of showers piling in here in NW Donegal in the past couple of hours but nothing too interesting, just a sleety mess of rain, hail and snow. Said all week that a nw'erly never delivers around here and no change there by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Plenty of showers piling in here in NW Donegal in the past couple of hours but nothing too interesting, just a sleety mess of rain, hail and snow. Said all week that a nw'erly never delivers around here and no change there by the looks of it

Are you near the coast or inland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

screenshot_1.png

So far today's event is going as I imagined, fairly pathetic. These Atlantic based brief cold snaps rarely produce more than a dusting in some areas and sloppy mush in others. There is too much modification from Atlantic based cold spells. We may see enough snow to cause a dusting and tomorrow the mild trend starts. This is why I keep banging on about an easterly. They deliver the real deal, proper dry snow, often huge amounts of snow. Even the west can get snow from an easterly that results in very generous dustings that far exceeds what we've seen anywhere today so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    South Donegal.... nothing but rain and some sleet on the hills. Cold miserable day. I have given up on seeing snow settling today. Grandchildren are bitterly disappointed yet again. Oh well that's Ireland for you. 2010 was the last proper snow and cold I experienced and I will probably be dead from old age or disease before the next freeze hits Ireland.

Ah Christ man, get a grip, talk about First World problems :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

perfect ground conditions for snow in Dublin

so it wont snow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pelting down snow here at knock in a strong wind, almost gone dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

perfect ground conditions for snow in Dublin

so it wont snow

Same here in Waterford after this mornings rain the place is lovely and dry now, temperature dropping and dew point down to 0.1c

Skies beginning to fill in with clouds, just need them to open up

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Just cleared now we're low lying and shower left a couple of cm of snow here. it's heading towards dublin direction there's still hope for yous yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

No one said at 3pm, they said after it and said there MAYBE

Agree, now looking like 17:00hrs as it's a slowing down a bit, which is good for any Accumulation

Screen_Shot_2017_01_12_at_16_04_39.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Posts moaning and or whinging have been deleted :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Agree, now looking like 17:00hrs as it's a slowing down a bit, which is good for any Accumulation

Screen_Shot_2017_01_12_at_16_04_39.png
    Which website are ye using for this radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I'm going to be happy either way - if it snows - yay, if it doesn't - good - shadowy parts of the garden are practically rotting away at this stage, I could really use a dry spell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Are you near the coast or inland?

Right on the coast but there's not much snow on the hills either, lying snow/hail level is around 400m at a guess and even then it's fairly patchy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I be running tonight, so be great if it lashes down on me when I am running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

marno21 wrote: »

take your pick, but http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess= .The graphics aren't included, but they've just modified it to rain-snow instead of snow in the last 5 mins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

marno21 wrote: »

that large shower over Cavan is already dying a death over the Cavan/Meath border. doubt it will make it here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement