Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Can anyone explain why we are getting higher temperatures now?

Warm core low pressure system. It'll fall back down again during the night as it moves away.
    nmmuk-16-8-0_bje0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

1aXKwqY.png[\IMG]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Didn't expect it to be this windy in Kerry here this evening, would skin a cat out there !

AB1EayC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Kamili wrote: »
    Nope said Leinster. See post #156

Ok I'm really out now this is getting silly.

Sorry mods

Actually the yellow warning on met said fewer showers on the east coast.

Yellow is very minor and they are talking abiut more inland leinster as they dont have a warning zone for just them. It clearly points it out.

Any snow threat in ireland will have a slight warning.

Anyhow my kids have a great 30 mins out in it with the kids on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Minion! Youghal/Dungarvan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Warm core low pressure system. It'll fall back down again during the night as it moves away.
    nmmuk-16-8-0_bje0.png

The temperature increased here and has dropped again. We've a load of slush. If that freezes it will be fun in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

And with the colder air behind such a small low pressure system, comes drier air with less organised precip also.

As the 3 hour model accordingly predicts: http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

North coast, and quite a lot of the west coast are in for a pasting tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Not upset, just baffled at why it was declared status yellow for snow and ice. We didn't see much at all of that.

This is a funny reversal of general sentiment yesterday. When met.ie were dismissed as being too conservative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

showers of rain/sleet since 6pm, snow melted, think that's our lot for today.

Iancar29 wrote: »

Yep. Snowing in Dundalk round 5.30, but a rain shower at 7.30ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Didn't expect it to be this windy in Kerry here this evening, would skin a cat out there !

Same in Donegal, I'd almost describe it as stormy here. I always find northerly winds feel more severe than our usual westerlies for some reason

Flash of lightning here just now as well, combined with the wind it's finally giving a bit of excitement here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭White Clover

Still snowing across the border in S Limerick, we'd be a bit more elevated. Completely blanketed now.

Broadford area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Nope said Leinster. See post #156

Ok I'm really out now this is getting silly.

Sorry mods

Post 156? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102251010&postcount=156

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Very stormy here - I'd say if the predicted snow had come with it - there certainly would have been drifts. Instead it's sleety hail.

S Sligo 90m asl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Good few sferics today, some recent off the SW coast . Saw some fine Cb's today in Kerry

109BROo.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sat image from this morning with some nice covering in parts of Scotland:

United_Kingdom_Ireland.2017012.terra_.1km.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Fun in Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I told u all hours ago it was gone over. Or actually the game was cancelled never begin at all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I told u all hours ago it was gone over. Or actually the game was cancelled never begin at all lol

Pfft, I got to see my kid gaze in wonder at his first sight of falling snow, that's good enough for me :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

showers are of rain across most of the country, colder air again behind with far less precipitation. Milder air will be back from the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We left coolock in north Dublin around 6.15pm and it started bucketing snow. Stayed that way up the M1 to about junction 7. Was crazy driving on the motorway with it.

Died off until we got to junction 15 or so and then continued heavy enough at home just outside Dundalk.

Was lovely just to see it falling so heavy and a good dusting on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

davidsr20 wrote: »

My kids would disagree, they had great fun out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

MJohnston wrote: »
    Pfft, I got to see my kid gaze in wonder at his first sight of falling snow, that's good enough for me :)

Ditto.

'Frozen Daddy, Ffrroozzeennnnn!' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wind howling here now. Kids were entertained by the heavy showers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Snowed hard for up to 25-30 minutes from when I left Navan until Longwood.
    Severe enough for the artic in front of me to lose control by clipping the edge of the verge and proceed to up-end and keel over onto its roof down into the lower field. A few feet in front of me.
    So it's far from over. That was 15 miles from Enfield when other posters around 6 were seeing nothing.
    Goes to show

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mr Whom wrote: »
    Lock thread?

Ah be quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

MJohnston wrote: »
    That is a memory indeed. But now we need an actual memorable fall to get out and enjoy. Such a rare thing now it is sad. We all of a certain age remember the memorable falls of snow but we haven't had one here, as in more than an inch or two, (Offaly)since December 2000, way overdue now.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

1°c in Cork. Just rained though.. strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Slushy shambles in West Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The problem today seems to be a backtrack over the last 24hrs on how cold the uppers would be. Typically -5 whereas a couple of days ago -8 was projected. The result hill and mountain snow rather than low level stuff.
    I'm very surprised that the UK met got this marginally wrong as did most of us.

Of course you can't blame professionals or indeed ourselves. What does baffle me though is how over the last 30 years of computers trying to forecast weather we have made little if any progress

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement