Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

We seem to be getting a pasting strangely enough, just kicking off another shower here now. Youghal/Dungarvan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain here now in Waterford City. Just our luck to be in the mild sector when precipitation arrived

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Plenty of areas have seen some snow, this was never going to be a major event and the majority of here on the east coast it was always going to a minor event.

I've yet to see a northwesterly deliever in Carlow but for those that got snow enjoy it and those who didn't let it go, mind you a few decent showers around still so those in the firing line enjoy the lamppost watching.

In other news next week still has potential, downgrades in medium term but I like the potential of keeping the Atlantic at bay and seeing what may develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Rain here now in Waterford City. Just our luck to be in the mild sector when precipitation arrived

www.waterfordcityweather.com

My thoughts exactly! Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Is that it so can anywhere in Ireland see snow tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

That is a memory indeed. But now we need an actual memorable fall to get out and enjoy. Such a rare thing now it is sad. We all of a certain age remember the memorable falls of snow but we haven't had one here, as in more than an inch or two, (Offaly)since December 2000, way overdue now.

That's one of the saddest things about this snow drought we've been having, poor kids under the age of about ten or so probably have very little recollection of heavy snow. Even myself growing up in Drogheda in the 2000s you could rely on a decent snowy fall once every winter or so (obviously nothing compared to the decades before but still fairly substantial). It's all very uncommon nowadays outside of the north and west.

The fact that we get hyped at the mere sight of snow now shows how bad it's been since 2010. Easterlies in particular seem to have become literally unheard of nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

update on the weather around the country after the ad break on the 9 news. im sure Teresa Mannion will feature :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

I drove through a heavy snow shower earlier. It was blizzard like for about 5 minutes. Full lights on - what a lovely sight it is...mesmerising. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Villain wrote: »
    Plenty of areas have seen some snow, this was never going to be a major event and the majority of here on the east coast it was always going to a minor event.

I've yet to see a northwesterly deliever in Carlow but for those that got snow enjoy it and those who didn't let it go, mind you a few decent showers around still so those in the firing line enjoy the lamppost watching.

In other news next week still has potential, downgrades in medium term but I like the potential of keeping the Atlantic at bay and seeing what may develop.

I feel there's plenty of hope for the winter in the east/south east for the remainder of the winter.

Number 1. The Atlantic is quiet. Number 2. Serious cold in central europe.

In the medium term it depends on the positioning of the high pressure next week. If it's to the east/north bingo. If over us we may have to wait a little longer. But nothing is resolved yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

catrat12 wrote: »
    Is that it so can anywhere in Ireland see snow tonight

Very unlikely in Leinster and Munster, except in upland areas. Temps are 6/7 in the southwest now and there is very little precip in the east.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I told u all hours ago it was gone over. Or actually the game was cancelled never begin at all lol

:rolleyes: Is this the misery poster who knows everything?

Now that's a lol.

I honestly don't know why some people post.
    I picture you as Victor Meldrew.:p

This for me has been the greatest day for model and nowcasting in Ireland for a long time. I've seen the evolution of a polar low and followed it's path from Iceland to Donegal and then to Dublin and saw spiral bands form around it up in Donegal to the strong winds that started up again behind it and then the increase in temperatures at the centre of the low and now yes the change to cold air behind it and a lot of snow for the north midlands (which was always the favoured place for snow).

I think it was a brilliant day I enjoyed it and it's not over yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECMWF has the coldest uppers tomorrow, temps about the same today but wind will be lighter. Not as much precipitation, more in the way of rain and hail but still chance of snow on high ground.

U21oFP9.png

3v7Ji0g.png

N4m1Fbc.gif?1

vG5vpDj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Very unlikely in Leinster and Munster, except in upland areas. Temps are 6/7 in the southwest now and there is very little precip in the east.

Wouldn't say that. Just through through Cork city. 1°c the entire way, hope is still alive !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Snowed hard for up to 25-30 minutes from when I left Navan until Longwood.
    Severe enough for the artic in front of me to lose control by clipping the edge of the verge and proceed to up-end and keel over onto its roof down into the lower field. A few feet in front of me.
    So it's far from over. That was 15 miles from Enfield when other posters around 6 were seeing nothing.
    Goes to show

And people were on here questioning whether a warning should have been given at all. It isn't a snowmageddon situation but there were definitely dangerous driving conditions in a lot of places.

Edit: Hope the driver was ok.

Just watching the rte 1 news. Most unusual that snow reports are pics sent in to rte by named individuals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

MJohnston wrote: »
    Pfft, I got to see my kid gaze in wonder at his first sight of falling snow, that's good enough for me :)

Had about 1.5 inches on the ground early this evening and had to mind 4 of my young nieces and nephews for a few hours.
    As they said themselves after we spent an hour in the snow' they had the best time ever'.
    Like you said that's good enough for me to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Larbre34 wrote: »

Only 3.3c here in West Clare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm. Malin Head gusting 56 knots (64 mph)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

An awful anti-climax........when are we going to stop hyping up the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Any reports from the precip band in the north?

• Advertisement

It does sound a little silly when the rte special reporter said 'temperatures are expected to drop to as low as -1C.

Manys a May and June night we've had that:) Does make one a little nostalgic for -15C temps on the weather map in December 2010.

How and ever -1C delivers snow and has done at home today and we're quite south easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    I drove through a heavy snow shower earlier. It was blizzard like for about 5 minutes. Full lights on - what a lovely sight it is...mesmerising. :)

Glad you got to experience it.
    Where was this exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

NIMAN wrote: »

On boards or iun general? Outside of boards today barely registered with most people other than being a crappy January day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

NIMAN wrote: »

I really don't get why people think this was hyped?

It was always going to be a mainly northwest event with just a chance of showers elesewhere???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Glad you got to experience it.
    Where was this exactly?

near Oughterard. About 7pm.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Mr Whom wrote: »
    Lock thread?

The door is over there =====>

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

On boards or iun general? Outside of boards today barely registered with most people other than being a crappy January day.

Jaysus you'd never think Weather would be discussed on a Weather forum.

I've actually had it with your negativity! The only time you've ever said anything that can be seen as remotely positive is in spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

32123093922_a7e23d8151_h.jpg

I managed to get picture in between very high showers of hail and snow, although none was sticking down low.
    This was taken west of Dingle looking back towards Mt Brandon and other mts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Jaysus you'd never think Weather would be discussed on a Weather forum.

I've actually had it with your negativity! The only time you've ever said anything that can be seen as remotely positive is in spite.

Hit the ignore button so. If anyone dares disagree with you you're straight in on the attack. Grow up FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Any reports from the precip band in the north?

Its snowing. But only moderate nothing like earlier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement