Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I like to avoid that but may take you up on your advice.

Seriously though loosen up. Life's all grim and dull without this.

Me loosen up? Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

My Canadian friends are falling over themselves laughing at the weather warnings here.
    I have to agree -1 ain't that cold, especially as they are telling me it was -32 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kamili wrote: »
    My Canadian friends are falling over themselves laughing at the weather warnings here.
    I have to agree -1 ain't that cold, especially as they are telling me it was -32 there.

Bring them here for a red level wind warning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can there please be a ban on discussions about 'over hyped' etc etc. It's exactly that that on every single event thread, even those that caused countrywide problems that led to me unsubscribing from this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Half 9 forecast still persisting with the yellow warnings for leinster and east coast. Strange given we've had only 1 small flurry all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It's all relative to what people are used to and how local authorities handle the conditions, it doesn't take much here to cause issues on local roads that gritters have never even seen. 1cm of wet snow that has frozen can be worse than 10cm of dry snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

NIMAN wrote: »
    An awful anti-climax........when are we going to stop hyping up the weather?

Great shout by some of our regular contributors.
    Called the conditions, the times and longevity.

I think the issues was people hyping themselves up. Seen the mention of snow and ignored the other 50 words in the paragraph.

The snow came from a north westerly, no one in here was ever going to call anything other than a brief flirt in the NW & NE, with high ground getting the best of it.

We got 30mins of snow in D4, historically east coast beyond Dundalk rarely gets anything from a NWerly. So o was happy showing my youngest lad his first snowflake..... As with all of his, he began lamppost watching rom our side window ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Me loosen up? Ah here.

Before the pair of yous get Banned.:p

Clonmel1000 you do tend to just give out about the weather.
    As if it makes any difference that you're going to have on the weather.
    Why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Bring them here for a red level wind warning :)

Ha I'm sure they've seen that level with blizzard conditions!

Can there please be a ban on discussions about 'over hyped' etc etc. It's exactly that that on every single event thread, even those that caused countrywide problems that led to me unsubscribing from this forum

Be it rain, snow, wind or heat, Enda Kenny's whingers come out in force!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Anybody know the progress of that warm sector.. Has it cleared the country yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Any reports from the precip band in the north?

Here in south Cavan it's back to wet sleety snow now from rain 2 hours ago.
    Its leaving a coat of slush on the cars.
    The cold air is obviously kicking in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

You're reminding me of an old saying in US country music..

'Be it rain, hail, snow, or sleet Johnny Cash sure is hard to beat':D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On boards or iun general? Outside of boards today barely registered with most people other than being a crappy January day.

Outside of Boards.

We have had 2 days of weather reports like its going to be the end of days, with temps plummeting as low as -3.:rolleyes:

I guess thats just the way the world is going, with 24hr news, social media etc....everything is hyped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

10 km north of Bandon heavy snow falling . 185m asl temp 1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think we Irish over react to our weather sometimes wink.png

In my experience people will always react to out of the ordinary weather, no matter the nationality. When I lived in San Francisco, they'd **** their pants a the sight of a couple of drops of rain (for numerous reasons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

lolie wrote: »
    Here in south Cavan it's back to wet sleety snow now from rain 2 hours ago.
    Its leaving a coat of slush on the cars.
    The cold air is obviously kicking in again.

I live 15 miles or so up the road from you Lolie. No rain here since this morning. Snowing heavy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Outside of Boards.

We have had 2 days of weather reports like its going to be the end of days, with temps plummeting as low as -3.:rolleyes:

I guess thats just the way the world is going, with 24hr news, social media etc....everything is hyped up.

Of course it is. These "news" sites need to generate hits to drive ads and revenue. 99 percent of the news is pure and utter ****e and click bait. The way some of the sites were going on, with pictures from what looked like blizzards I might add, people were led to expect end of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Fun in Canada

M.T??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    I live 15 miles or so up the road from you Lolie. No rain here since this morning. Snowing heavy again.

Have you not heard?there was no snow from this event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

I love a good North West wind to bring snow to the higher ground outside Cork City-not more than 20 minutes drive out from the city.Almost Every winter I take a drive on the R579 turning off at the Anglers Rest and watch as the sleet turns to snow as the road rises when you get to the Berrings  area and and drive on out to Nadd and follow the road as far as Millstreet.It's rare we get decent snow from an Easterly-has happened-1987 was a great example.Most of us in Ireland live near high ground and if you are disappointed today get in your car and take a drive and I am sure there's some lovely snow to be seen by most of you within 30 mins off where you live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Barnesmore Gap is getting pasted at the moment according to reports on Facebook

Sleet here in Dundalk presently.

EDIT: turning into wet snow now...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Reati wrote: »
    Of course it is. These "news" sites need to generate hits to drive ads and revenue. 99 percent of the news is pure and utter ****e and click bait. The way some of the sites were going on, with pictures from what looked like blizzards I might add, people were led to expect end of days.

ITN News, BBC TV News etc don't need to generate clicks though.
    And they reported it as if its the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

ballylanders co limerick this evening
    406248.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ITN News, BBC TV News etc don't need to generate clicks though.
    And they reported it as if its the end.

Perhaps because they're UK media, and parts of the UK such as Scotland and Northern Ireland were more at risk than most of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some evidence of frost on the car with a biting wind.
    Some showers moving down from my NW but loosing strength just before getting here.

hotwhiskey wrote: »

Heavy snow showers turned to sleet and just as it was clearing after 7 o'clock there was a few minutes of very very light rain.
    Noticeably colder outside now though.

Temperature 2.1c and dewpoint 0c, place is white outside with hail here in West Clare. Suppose this can be considered an accumulation.

• Advertisement

Have you not heard?there was no snow from this event.

That aimed at me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement