Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Snowing in raheny now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Spare a thought for the people of South Dublin. :(

15977128_1284341254938492_5835073239571689232_n.jpg?oh=52f281b7079f6dcf7df923eccaf585c9&oe=58DCA9E6

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Transition back did not take long. Back to sleet/snow north dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

March11 wrote: »
    We seem to be getting a pasting strangely enough, just kicking off another shower here now. Youghal/Dungarvan

Bloody Youghal gettin' snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

lolie wrote: »
    That aimed at me?

Probably me, cos I said that I got no snow ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some evidence of frost on the car with a biting wind.
    Some showers moving down from my NW but loosing strength just before getting here.

They are a pile of crap anyway. Mix of light rain and snow as they cross over me.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Villain wrote: »
    I really don't get why people think this was hyped?

It was always going to be a mainly northwest event with just a chance of showers elesewhere???

You were hoping yesterday to get the thread changed to orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

NIMAN wrote: »
    Outside of Boards.

We have had 2 days of weather reports like its going to be the end of days, with temps plummeting as low as -3.:rolleyes:

I guess thats just the way the world is going, with 24hr news, social media etc....everything is hyped up.

The indo is still hyping the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was asking for it to match Met Eireann's level as is the norm here, several roads are closed in the northwest so I think their Orange warning was valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The thread titles on this forum are generally altered to match the Met Eireann weather warnings (believe it or not, some people actually do use this forum as a way to hear about upcoming weather conditions, so reflecting existing warnings is important) - last night ME gave out an Orange level warning for parts of the North West of the country. I'm certain that's why Villain was asking for it to be changed, not because they were trying to hype this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nabber wrote: »
    Great shout by some of our regular contributors.
    Called the conditions, the times and longevity.

I think the issues was people hyping themselves up. Seen the mention of snow and ignored the other 50 words in the paragraph.

The snow came from a north westerly, no one in here was ever going to call anything other than a brief flirt in the NW & NE, with high ground getting the best of it.

We got 30mins of snow in D4, historically east coast beyond Dundalk rarely gets anything from a NWerly. So o was happy showing my youngest lad his first snowflake..... As with all of his, he began lamppost watching rom our side window ðŸ‘ðŸ‘
    I think you haven't been to Monasterboice or Collon so!

And there's articles on the likes of TheJournal describing Arctic conditions coming. -1° is apparently arctic coldness...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Report from Co.Antrim.....

Despite the sat images showing what looked like as good a potential as it gets, we haven't seen much persistent lying snow where I am.

Yes, it's white outside right now - but only 1mm thick. The showers have been intermittent. Only short intervals of heavy snow and the rest rather light.there has been snow melt between showers but with quick replenishment during showers.

Overall I would rate it a bust. Especially when the sat images showed what appeared to be a well organised area of convectively activity earlier today.

Also, the temps have been disappointingly high throughout this spell with the temp and dew point being slightly on the wrong side of zero. Thanks is annoying considering the uppers are still dropping towards -10c at 850mb and -40c at 500mb.

I strongly suspect that the reason for this is due to the polar maritime airmass we received yesterday (which turned out to be not that cold) before the wind shift which has mixed enough with the artic northerly to make the whole event very marginal overall at the lower levels. Essentially we have a PM / Artic airmass mix right now that is slightly too warm for any snow to persistently lie. Looking outside right now, I have no confidence that the lying snow will still be there in the morning as thawing is constant - albeit slow. And there are strong signs on the radar at the moment that shower activity is quickly dying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭davehey79

Snowing again in longford (town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Heavy wet snow all the way from Dublin 15 to Drogheda just now. Melting on impact but big flakes and VERY windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

ballylanders co limerick this evening
    406248.jpg

Thats one good looking snowman!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just caught up with the thread. I follow this forum a lot but don't post much. Love having a read through during an 'event' to get real time feedback from around the country. But seeing people lose their **** over today's 'event' has given me a right laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

A lot of snow here today and it's still pouring snow. I measured it again and it's at just over 9 inches.

Banned for persistent trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Sorry I didn't do a wash. Would have been a great day for drying

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

A lot of snow here today and it's still pouring snow. I measured it again and it's at just over 9 inches.

Where's that!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yep that lovely snowman proves we here in Sth Limerick merited the apocalyptic hype :D Already thawing though...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Where's that!?
    Don't mind that effing troll

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Noahrosie1

Thank you to everyone for contributing really enjoyed the live updates and am very grateful for the beautuful snow showers I did get to witness. Over night what ever will be will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

Google weather saying a high of 4 and rain for parts of mayo tomorrow, how come this is so different from what you are all saying here ?
    Turns out Google was more accurate than the charts.. No snow in west mayo today

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Decent snow in finglas now

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Snowing like mad for the last few hours in Sandyford just below 3 rock. Been very sleety but now proper snow and lying. Looks better in real life than photos but if anything major happens I'll post a photo. Proper flakes now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Snowing like mad for the last few hours in Sandyford just below 3 rock. Been very sleety but now proper snow and lying. Looks better in real life than photos but if anything major happens I'll post a photo. Proper flakes now!

Not to far from you, it's light but I'll take it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin Airport reporting snow at 23:30

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

-1 here and raining/sleeting. Might be the start of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Anything that might fall from the clump of green and pink heading south over Mayo/Galway looks like it's going to freeze on whatever it falls on, that just won't be much fun at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Sandyford Dublin 18

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement