Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Maybe half a cm here near roundwood overnight after the dusting earlier in the night had melted. Roads appear clear so heading to work as the school will be open so no snow day for me. I mean for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The arctic conditions talked about in the media and by some on here turned out to be proper lying snow for places approaching 200 metres asl.

This has been one of the most overhyper events on boards since Jan 2008, which was in a league of it's own. The snow in many parts of Ireland in March 2016 was more impressive, and barely discussed in the media.

But that's part of the fun of events like this, it would be boring if predictions always came to pass. And many places in the south and Midlands saw snow that wouldn't have seen any in the March event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The arctic conditions talked about in the media and by some on here turned out to be proper lying snow for places approaching 200 metres asl.

This has been one of the most overhyper events on boards since Jan 2008, which was in a league of it's own. The snow in many parts of Ireland in March 2016 was more impressive, and barely discussed in the media.

But that's part of the fun of events like this, it would be boring if predictions always came to pass. And many places in the south and Midlands saw snow that wouldn't have seen any in the March event.

If was never over hyped. People said there maybe snow showers and also said no more than a few cm if lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think it was overhyped as well.

Met Eireann should issue a clarification.

If was never over hyped. People said there maybe snow showers and also said no more than a few cm if lucky.
    Opinions should always be welcome but surely describing mind temperatures of -1 in most areas as being Arctic, is a little far-fetched? And talk of widespread snow was not even backed up by what the models were showing. Borderline charts posted as clear-cut snow falls.

The air mass was still a little warmer than models and Met Éireann predicted, and I'd like to know why.

I suspect the lack of buoy and ship data in the Atlantic is a problem that no amount of computing can solve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This has been one of the most overhyper events on boards....

I can't agree with the Boards bit....this 'event' was not over hyped by Boards.

The media over hyped this.

Talk all week on radio and elsewhere of arctic conditions, snow, ice, meetings of the Office of Emergency Planning, army on stand by....and....rolling out of various Met E staff to talk on radio and TV. Then on the TV (RTE) news, at one point, I saw talk of our up and coming 'cold spell' rolled in to the same news item as the extreme cold in eastern Europe!

All that media talk really fueled peoples perception (and expectations) that we were in for something epic....2010 like!!!

It's then that people start looking in on Boards, and threads like this.

If people read the very first post in this thread, it was quite clear (in fairness to Rebelbrowser) what was to be expected. A cold NW flow with (hit and miss) snow showers....that's what we got. And, in fairness to MTC, his forecasts were similar.

Yes, some regulars on Boards always get enthusiastic about the prospect of snow, but, that happens a couple of times every winter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The problem with the media/met is they have to overhype things like this now because they got it so wrong in 2009/2010.

They are afraid to say we'll only get 1cm when we might get 3, better to sound the emergency alarm and hope it doesn't come to pass rather than not sound the alarm and we get a light/moderate snowfall.

Look at this headline on the Indo from 2 years ago to see how ridiculous it all is;

Stilll safer for them to cry wolf than not cry at all and a rabbit arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Roads so very dodgy in north Galway this morning. The trek to Tuam this morning on back roads was not pretty, however, the N17 was no better. Traffic going to be mental in the next while i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Once again limerick city avoided the snow. We had a few flutters during the day time hours but if you blinked you would have missed them.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I can't agree with the Boards bit....this 'event' was not over hyped by Boards.

The media over hyped this.

Talk all week on radio and elsewhere of arctic conditions, snow, ice, meetings of the Office of Emergency Planning, army on stand by....and....rolling out of various Met E staff to talk on radio and TV. Then on the TV (RTE) news, at one point, I saw talk of our up and coming 'cold spell' rolled in to the same news item as the extreme cold in eastern Europe!

All that media talk really fueled peoples perception (and expectations) that we were in for something epic....2010 like!!!

It's then that people start looking in on Boards, and threads like this.

If people read the very first post in this thread, it was quite clear (in fairness to Rebelbrowser) what was to be expected. A cold NW flow with (hit and miss) snow showers....that's what we got. And, in fairness to MTC, his forecasts were similar.

Yes, some regulars on Boards always get enthusiastic about the prospect of snow, but, that happens a couple of times every winter.
    It was, I can show several examples but I think that's rather petty and this forum is better than that kind of tit for tat stuff.

It certainly shouldn't be perceived as some sort of criticism or failing - I'm saying it was overhyped here and simply pointing out more moderate examples doesn't change the truth of what I'm saying.

I also pointed out the media overhyped it, with resulting wider impact, but that doesn't mean some folks on here got way OTT given the probability.

To be honest I'm not sure what's in my post you can argue with or point out what's wrong. It was overhyped here by many, and charts were even misinterpreted by a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Opinions should always be welcome but surely describing mind temperatures of -1 in most areas as being Arctic, is a little far-fetched? And talk of widespread snow was not even backed up by what the models were showing. Borderline charts posted as clear-cut snow falls.

The air mass was still a little warmer than models and Met Éireann predicted, and I'd like to know why.

I suspect the lack of buoy and ship data in the Atlantic is a problem that no amount of computing can solve.

In my opinion it was the polar maritime flow on Tues / Wed that made it warmer as it wasn't a particularly cold airmass and was in place here ahead of the so called artic flow. That allowed for a lot of mixing and warming of the air on Thursday.
    Also, the wave came further north than modelled and delayed the onset of the artic flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The media will always over hype things to sell papers etc.

Warnings are just warnings, doesnt mean it will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very disappointing

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Well, 2 inches lying here this morning. Shame it's not fluffy snowman snow snow but I'll take icy hill slippy snow anytime.

Snow day!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Stunning. Youghal/Dungarvan area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Heavy cover in Kilnamartyra Co Cork this morning accompanied by ice. Must have snowed heavily during the night. Long trip to work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

March11 wrote: »

Are you high up or something - not an area I would have expected to do so well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Roundwood - Kilmac road completely clear, if people want to get that far and then hike up. No idea what it's like higher (too dark to see), but no word on the school being shut which normally means even the back roads are ok.

For me, who'd mainly get my weather news on here/ IWO/ Wicklow Weather and with TV forecasts (rather than news), I'm not seeing the hype tbh. Over-hyping everything is why I've somewhat ditched all current affairs content - it appears the entitlement culture has now even spread to the weather!

Everything pretty much spot on what was forecast, and what experience tells me to expect from a NW for us - only real surprise was the warm sector that caused a melt even at 200m+ asl - I thought once it came, it'd stay snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Are you high up or something - not an area I would have expected to do so well!

Yes we are very high, near radio and mobile masts!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

March11 wrote: »

Lovely pic. I'm snow jealous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

90% of Monaghan is visible through the snow this morning.
    I think this 'warning system' is in danger of causing more problems than it solves as most people will begin ignoring them. I am already for all kinds of weather events.
    That is not a good thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

To be honest I'm not sure what's in my post you can argue with or point out what's wrong. It was overhyped here by many, and charts were even misinterpreted by a few.

Don't worry....not having a go at you!

Just really trying to point out where the majority of the hype was coming from (the media), and, sort of clarifying that while the 'event' hype may have spilled over on to Boards, it was not hyped by Boards (by those regulars who make predictions/post forecasts on Boards).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely clear sky morning here in Dubland. Not a speck of snow but lovely and crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Had a drone up Killeshin this morning, thankfully it didn't blow away :D

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/819823073054588928

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Bit of frozen snow on the roofs and roads look dodgy, Dublin 24..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Great Shots Villain great to actually see a bit of snow :)

A light dusting of snow in Dundalk this morning.

406275.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

A light dusting of snow in Dundalk this morning.

406275.jpg

We ended up with about the same here in Ballinderry, Co.Antrim. The shower distribution yesterday evening wasn't all that kind to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

ebbsy wrote: »
    I think it was overhyped as well.

Met Eireann should issue a clarification.

Oil companies!!!
    That is all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

We had a decent dusting in South Roscommon, didn't get any photos unfortunately but the roads were white on the way in to work and it took a lot of effort to get the car cleared. Still, nothing to write home about, you wouldn't get a snowman out of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement