Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Got one big snow shower yesterday afternoon near Mallow and the rest all a wintry mix. The higher up areas around did well given the snow on the cars and the surrounding hills/fields have snow cover. Nothing on the horizon for now either judging by the latest models and winter is slipping by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Nothing in Greystones
    - Not even a Frost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not out of the woods. My man with a van is delayed due to bad road conditions, coming from Killarney; the way I need to go tonight

A coldhearted beauty out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Nothing in Wicklow Town either. It was raining when I went to bed around 11pm.

It was, I can show several examples but I think that's rather petty and this forum is better than that kind of tit for tat stuff.

It certainly shouldn't be perceived as some sort of criticism or failing - I'm saying it was overhyped here and simply pointing out more moderate examples doesn't change the truth of what I'm saying.

I also pointed out the media overhyped it, with resulting wider impact, but that doesn't mean some folks on here got way OTT given the probability.

To be honest I'm not sure what's in my post you can argue with or point out what's wrong. It was overhyped here by many, and charts were even misinterpreted by a few.

Simply the desire outweighed reality! Human nature.. And yes some posters wen way OTT but not the ones with the real tech knowledge

And hey! Is ONLY the weather.Most of us had some fun; I know I did, sharing the beauty also. Great thread; THANK YOU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

The western hills looked really white this morning.

Lovely crisp morning.

Anyone got pictures of Croagh Patrick or Galtymore or Carauntoohill??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Graces7 wrote: »
    Simply the desire outweighed reality! Human nature.. And yes some posters wen way OTT but not the ones with the real tech knowledge

And hey! Is ONLY the weather.Most of us had some fun; I know I did, sharing the beauty also. Great thread; THANK YOU

It's January, we've nothing else to do. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

A light dusting on the Comeraghs, didn't really need the 4x4 at all. Hopefully the Beast from the E gives us a blast next week !

[IMG][/img]IMG_1623_1.jpg

pilly wrote: »
    It's January, we've nothing else to do. :D:D

AWWW! It has helped me in these pre-move days of worry! Grateful for that

Now waiting for my man with a van to see how bad the roads are.. will take guidance from him but the short daylight hours govern as the new house is way up a mountain road and I need light. Not been there

Graces7 wrote: »
    AWWW! It has helped me in these pre-move days of worry! Grateful for that

Now waiting for my man with a van to see how bad the roads are.. will take guidance from him but the short daylight hours govern as the new house is way up a mountain road and I need light. Not been there

Best of luck with it. :)

• Advertisement

Oops69 wrote: »
    The term 'blizzard-like' really has been overused IN this thread, a flurry of snow for five minutes that melts in 10 isn't a blizzard lads , for feck sake.

AHEM.. went on a long while up here and is drifted at the back of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Snow melted as I expected rather quickly in my area yesterday evening, I'm looking at the mountains up north and they are completely white, compared to yesterday, looks well in the clear blue sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Snow melted as I expected rather quickly in my area yesterday evening, I'm looking at the mountains up north and they are completely white, compared to yesterday, looks well in the clear blue sky

Such a difference here near Dunboyne. The ground is white this morning after a fresh snowfall during the night. A sight to behold at 7.30am even if the roads haven't been gritted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bit of a dusting here too. received 2 dustings between yesterday evenings rather heavy snow shower and the shower late last night. That's more than what I was expecting which was nothing at all.

I don't think this event was overhyped on boards. There was a gentle warning that there might be snow showers but we were all very clear that most areas would see little or nothing and that the main risk areas was the west and north.

It was really the media that completely over-hyped this event as usuall, certain newspapers and websites then toys were thrown when people realized by yesterday evening that they wasn't going to be enough snow to build snowmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Morning%20snow%20Moon%20set_zpsudedytvw.jpg

Quite a nice sight this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Gonzo wrote: »
    It was really the media that completely over-hyped this event as usuall, certain newspapers and websites then toys were thrown when people realized by yesterday evening that they wasn't going to be enough snow to build snowmen.
    Lets not forget that people can be a bit thick at times too. Yesterday morning circa 6.30am there were texts read out on the radio giving out (to paraphrase) how snow was promised and nothing at all, and what does met eireann know anyway etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just in case anyone was thinking of heading up there, I just got the following text alert from Wicklow Co Co...
    Wicklow County Council wish to advise motorists of very icy road surface conditions at the Sally Gap. Motorists are advised to drive with caution and to use an alternative route if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Gonzo wrote: »

It was really the usual media sites that completely over-hyped this event as usuall, certain the same old newspapers and websites then toys were thrown when people realized by yesterday evening that they wasn't going to be enough snow to build snowmen.
    FYP :)

Reati wrote: »
    FYP :)

What does FYP stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The Blackstairs Mountain in Co.wexford this morning.
    2017_01_13_12.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

What does FYP stand for?

Fixed Your Post(I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Well just got of the phone to my brother who lives 8 mile the other side of Monaghan towards Armagh. Nothing only black ice.

There is about a inch on the roads here and 3 to 4 in the fields this morning.
    It shows you how the snow showers were so localised but give sleet and rain in other parts to others. The warm sector that moved south yesterday evening done alot of harm to people who would of intentionally would of recived snow if the warmer sector was not included.

BBC NI forecast changed there weather forecast yesterday afternoon has the were aware this will change there heavy snow forecast for many to rain and sleet.

Marginal. Nothing is ever straight forward in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Outside Killarney got a good fall of snow.
    1 large fall at 12.30 Yesterday and another at 3.15 this morning,smaller amounts with limited sticking in between.

As expected or slightly more.

Mountains look great and may venture towards them depending on conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

diceyd wrote: »
    What does FYP stand for?

Fixed Your Post(I think)
    Yes, it was a joke :)

Nasty hail shower as the van was a-loading. SO COLD!

It came in from the west, obscuring the white mountains. Then shattering into icy fragments on our heads

There was talk of postponing, from the two strong , stalwart Kerry men who have departed now, or of leaving now, but would not be daylight long enough.

I will go the long way round, a straighter road and less tree sheltered. never see the Ring road I love so much again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Don't worry....not having a go at you!

Just really trying to point out where the majority of the hype was coming from (the media), and, sort of clarifying that while the 'event' hype may have spilled over on to Boards, it was not hyped by Boards (by those regulars who make predictions/post forecasts on Boards).
    If there is clear evidence that this event was overhyped by many here, why disregard that in favour of your own point? Sure, it's not meant to be personal but it sounds like a strong defence of something that is contradicted by evidence...

Posters put forward model charts that did not support widespread snow while claiming it did. If that's not overhyping by some posters here, than what is? I'm kinda surprised that regular posters and in this case a mod, wouldn't recognise some of the posts for what it was and that this event's predictions were

a) more wide of the mark than typical in the euro4 era in the forum,

b) even if the models were accurate and perhaps on the cold side, we would have had maybe 15 cm on Northwestern hills and much less elsewhere.

c) a brief glance at the numbers of posts this time around vs reports of snow, and compare that to e.g. March 2016's more widespread event, would show a clear difference in how the predictions were posted.

The fact so many would thank your post makes me think what I said was sort of personal offense to many posters here, it really needn't be taken that way.

Do we really want an echo chamber for a forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭davehey79

had completely brightened up here (Longford Town) earlier but has turned dark and now its spitting down with snow again

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone was thinking of heading up there, I just got the following text alert from Wicklow Co Co...

Conor Pass is closed too , here in Dingle, Kerry .. kerry coco twitter is great online

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I think the main issue with over hyping on this forum is that once the forecast becomes public knowledge this place gets flooded with hundreds of non regulars and a lot of the more knowledgeable posters don't bother posting as everything just gets swallowed up in the chaos. A small number of people start hyping it up and get 50 likes on every post, anyone trying to be realistic is dismissed as being negative and suddenly everyone's expecting a repeat of 2010.

In reality all week people here were forecasting a chance of snow showers in the North and West and maybe a flurry elsewhere. It turned out to be sleet and hail pretty much everywhere as the cold wasn't as potent as modelled, this is a well known issue with Atlantic polar maritimes that anyone who follows the models should have expected.

But anyways, onwards and upwards, I'm sure we'll be doing it all again soon :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement