Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Options
1585960616264»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Indeed the weather is very non descript and boring for weeks on end. The cold snap was average fare tbh and the models over estimated the depth of cold by at least 2 degrees (uppers that is). Difference between hill snow and lowland. What really surprised me is how the UK met over hyped it too just a tad.
    Let's hope for better on the pub run just filtering out

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

nagdefy wrote: »
    My late dad, RIP. His favourite 'Russian hat' for cold weather. Pics when he was 88, quite 'agricultural'!

15977073_10154910663095908_1262911375520176453_n.jpg?oh=72bda707f38625d46be84a40c0247cae&oe=590DA74F

15966149_10154910674295908_6921181547202525656_n.jpg?oh=b25601f041918649824324f404cb2dc6&oe=58D6B53A

Sorry for you loss, may you Dad RIP ...... great photos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

There has been no real weather to speak of, but just day after day of warm high pressure conditions. Really sick of it now and hoping we'll see something a bit more lively for the second half of the season.

I agree, so far it has been the winter of what might have been from a snow lovers perspective.

For you who loves storms i understand that it has been equally frustrating. Although, if this winter behaves like previous la nina winters, there might be a blustery back end to winter for you to enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I agree, so far it has been the winter of what might have been from a snow lovers perspective.

For you who loves storms i understand that it has been equally frustrating. Although, if this winter behaves like previous la nina winters, there might be a blustery back end to winter for you to enjoy.
    It's only in strong la Nina or strong el Nino years that the Atlantic gets turned on again with storms.
    It's still neutral or just on the la Nina side of neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just to say, despite all the giving out about the snow AND ice warnings, lots of lingering snow and ice still around here. Anywhere that didn't get treated or direct sun is still white and/or icy.

Just because it wasn't in your backyard doesn't mean it was overhyped or that warnings weren't justified. Plenty did face poor conditions last night and this morning, and potentially still with another frost. And that makes warnings justified IMO.

Really didn't see the overhype, and I don't think anyone should be apologising for a warm sector that wasn't forecast either.

Whatever about no snow event every winter, seems there was to be a bloody recrimination thread every year...
    My opinion, you don't have to shove yours down my throat. I've backed it up, there's plenty of threads that got less attention even though the events caused more harm.

Implying I'm only saying this over snowfall where I live, when you don't even know where I live, is a bit arrogant. I'm unhappy at the groupthink and denial by many posters, the intolerance of opinions that might actually be different.

Also what recrimination? If anything, the ones sending abusive PMs should be hanging their heads in shame. If having a contrary opinion is "recrimination", then I'm not the one needing a reality check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

My opinion, you don't have to shove yours down my throat. I've backed it up, there's plenty of threads that got less attention even though the events caused more harm.

Implying I'm only saying this over snowfall where I live, when you don't even know where I live, is a bit arrogant. I'm unhappy at the groupthink and denial by many posters, the intolerance of opinions that might actually be different.

Also what recrimination? If anything, the ones sending abusive PMs should be hanging their heads in shame. If having a contrary opinion is "recrimination", then I'm not the one needing a reality check.

Any weather reports or predictions on the forthcoming weather?
    This is a weather forum after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Discussion on Winter 2017 continues here

Thanks to all who contributed their forecasts, local reports and images, and made this Event Thread one of the busiest places on Boards.ie over the last couple of days!

No doubt we'll be doing it all again very soon :)

** if anyone has any late additions/images they'd like to add to the record just PM one of the mod team and we'll sort it out for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement