Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to allow for M50 southbound in rush hour?

Options
  • 10-01-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Have appt in Dublin week after next and will need to use M50 (southbound), coming off at Jctn 15.

Appt is at 9.30 and will be coming from M1. How long do I realistically need to allow for the M50 stretch of the journey?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi all,

Have appt in Dublin week after next and will need to use M50 (southbound), coming off at Jctn 15.

Appt is at 9.30 and will be coming from M1. How long do I realistically need to allow for the M50 stretch of the journey?

TIA
    I would allow 90 minutes. You might do it in half that but if there's an accident at any point, that will easily double your journey time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Google maps usually provides a good indication, thry have a feature where you can select time of day for a journey time.
    In my normal life I travel from j6 to j14 for work. Since I have a flexible start time I usually enter the m50 at 9am and it's pretty clear by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

athtrasna wrote: »
    I would allow 90 minutes. You might do it in half that but if there's an accident at any point, that will easily double your journey time.

This ^^^ You simply have to plan for accidents on the M50, at this stage its folly not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Solasgeal

I agree with 90 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What day is it?

Fridays are usually less busy in the mornings, that said, with the schools back the number of "accidents" has increased so yeah, plan to encounter at least one - the further south it is the worse.

Tune in to 103.2 Dublin City FM from 7AM for the Livedrive show, an excellent service. If they mention any serious incident from Jct 7 onwards then you may be better off doing M1 - Port Tunnel - Stillorgan Dueller as your trip rather than using the M50, the three quid would be well spent if it meant getting that job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What day is it?

Fridays are usually less busy in the mornings, that said, with the schools back the number of "accidents" has increased so yeah, plan to encounter at least one - the further south it is the worse.

Tune in to 103.2 Dublin City FM from 7AM for the Livedrive show, an excellent service. If they mention any serious incident from Jct 7 onwards then you may be better off doing M1 - Port Tunnel - Stillorgan Dueller as your trip rather than using the M50, the three quid would be well spent if it meant getting that job.

I'd second the port tunnel option if there was an accident on the M50, though it would be €10 southbound at that time of the morning (in a one off situation like the OP's id consider it)

But yeah, allow 90 minutes for slow moving traffic on the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Crazycatlady39

Thanks everyone for all the posts - really helpful. I'll defo allow for 90 minutes.

ccl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You don't gain anything by leaving 90 mins at that hour.
    90 mins has you hitting the m50 at 8, meaning you're simply going to sit in the middle of the worst traffic, tip or no tip. You'll hit the worst junctions at their worst times.

Whether traffic is normal or terrible you'll arrive maybe five minutes ahead of leaving half an hour later.

Advertisement