Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 2017

Options
  • 10-01-2017 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I cant locate a thread for this so here goes!

Doing the full this year - second marathon after Dublin last October. Its my local marathon where i grew up so very familiar with the route and the weather!!

Been adding hill repeats once a week to my plan and as many hills as I can find for my LSRs, but its a bit hard as i now live in the very flat midlands!

Anyone else in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Not this time I'm afraid. I did the half last year and loved it, so the full is high up on the list. But for 2017 it's a no go, as it's right in the middle of my exams. Good luck with the training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

thanks Wubble.

Damn - hate that when life gets in the way of running.

Any advice greatly appreciated and best of luck with the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

I have signed up for the Full. It will be my third marathon but first in over 6 years!!

Only getting back into a bit of running so thought it would be a nice one to enjoy.

I have signed up for the Full. It will be my third marathon but first in over 6 years!!

Only getting back into a bit of running so thought it would be a nice one to enjoy.

that my plan too. It can be so unpredictable so pinning hopes in PBs not be my best bet id say. Still, looking forward to the challenge and a different kind of marathon.

What sort of training are you following if you dont mind me askin!

Ye, not thinking of a PB either. Not the place for it so I hear!

I am following the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 Marathon plan, it is an 18 week plan. I am on week 4 now and am more or less on par with it!

There are a few hills around my way so can incorporate them into my runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Facing my fears and attempting the ultra again this year, the weather almost broke me last April so here's hoping for a warmer/drier/less windy day, I'll take any of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Signed up for the full (will be my 4th connemarathon).

Love the unpredictability of it.

Ye, not thinking of a PB either. Not the place for it so I hear!

I am following the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 Marathon plan, it is an 18 week plan. I am on week 4 now and am more or less on par with it!

There are a few hills around my way so can incorporate them into my runs.

Me too. Used the novice 2 for dcm last year and worked well. Like the pace running in this one.

echancrure wrote: »
    Signed up for the full (will be my 4th connemarathon).

Love the unpredictability of it.

Wow ...4th time. You must have been through all kinds of weather at each one. I was talking to someone who did the comrades ultra and he said connemara one year was harder!

Any tips for a first timer?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Yes it can be anything. Last year was the worse: nice start, then rain, cold and wind (look at the number of DNFs with people going into hypothermia). My biggest mistake last year was not having waterproof gloves: the cold and driving rain froze my fingers, hands and arms up to my elbows after only 10 miles...

So you should watch the weather close to the time and dress appropriately (it can be scorcher too...).

The waiting around at the start is tiring: stay in the bus for as long as possible. There is a nice atmosphere with plenty for international runners: French, English, German...

Normally (weather permitting) the descent into Lennane just before the half way point, is where you can recover from the first half and get mentally prepared for the first climb of the day.

After that, at mile 20, you have 2 miles flat, 2 miles climb and 2 miles down and you're home!

• Advertisement

ToriV wrote: »
    Me too. Used the novice 2 for dcm last year and worked well. Like the pace running in this one.

It is a very easy plan to follow alright.

Best of luck with the training!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

I'm doing it myself.
    Have done 4 marathons (limerick & 3 DCMs) so we'll see how it goes.

Only really started training last week, so will only get 16 weeks of training, bit worried it won't be enough as didn't run last year really.

PB is from DCM 2015, 3:43 but I'll try enjoy this one so anything under 4:30 be OK I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

+1 for the full. My first marathon. Just praying for injury free training and even "reasonable" weather on the day.

The hanging around at the start and general logistics look a bit of a pain. Any tips welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

opus wrote: »
    Facing my fears and attempting the ultra again this year, the weather almost broke me last April so here's hoping for a warmer/drier/less windy day, I'll take any of them :)

I'll be there too. What kind of pace are you planning? Prob too fast for me I assume as I'm planning it to be a training run for Belfast 24hr.
    You in for that too Opus?
    Comrades again this year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

ToriV wrote:
    Doing the full this year - second marathon after Dublin last October. Its my local marathon where i grew up so very familiar with the route and the weather!!

Conn was my first in 2014. A beautiful run. You need to get in some hill running but not a crazy amount. This year I will be a Pacer. Really only two hills in Conn Lenane and the long drag which is known as the 'Hell of the West '. I've also ran the Ultra in Conn great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Hills30

I'm in this year. I only just signed up as I wanted a new challenge. its my first Marathon and only 14 weeks to get prepped for it. I have done numerous half though so I am hoping 14 weeks will be just about enough. :O

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Conn was my first in 2014. A beautiful run. You need to get in some hill running but not a crazy amount. This year I will be a Pacer. Really only two hills in Conn Lenane and the long drag which is known as the 'Hell of the West '. I've also ran the Ultra in Conn great event.

Do you mind me asking what time you will be pacing for?

Do you mind me asking what time you will be pacing for?

Time not confirmed yet but I assume either 3.45 or 4.00.

Time not confirmed yet but I assume either 3.45 or 4.00.

I'll be hoping for around that! See you there!

Thanks for that advice. I think pacers do a fantastic job - learned so much about the ebb and flow of a race just watching them. Hoping for around that myself, so hope to see you!

• Advertisement

ToriV wrote:
    Thanks for that advice. I think pacers do a fantastic job - learned so much about the ebb and flow of a race just watching them. Hoping for around that myself, so hope to see you!

Good luck with the training.

Good luck with the training.

Thanks a million.

Quick query for all you guys at this a while.... I was originally planning to run 5 days a week and hoping to come in around 4 hours. Ran DCM in 4.08 and was VERY conservative. I could have kept going for another few miles, so I def had far more in the tank.

My OH has something come up where its now impossible for me to do my recovery run after my LSR - it ranges from 3 to 5 miles over the course of the plan. Should I just leave it and maybe try some cross training - some easy cycling on stationary bike? Or try to fit it in somewhere.

thanks in advance.

ToriV wrote:
    Quick query for all you guys at this a while.... I was originally planning to run 5 days a week and hoping to come in around 4 hours. Ran DCM in 4.08 and was VERY conservative. I could have kept going for another few miles, so I def had far more in the tank.

What time are you hoping for and what plan are you using? As for cross training, always a good idea to mix it up.

What time are you hoping for and what plan are you using? As for cross training, always a good idea to mix it up.

I am hoping for just under 4 hours as I ran DCM in 4.08 but really took it easy.
    I am using HH intermediate plan 1 - like the use of more PMP miles in it and am doing some speed sessions with my run club once a week.

I know more miles count when aiming for quicker times, so just wondering if it worth making the effort to do the recoveries.

I will find the time somewhere!

Thanks!

ToriV wrote:
    I am hoping for just under 4 hours as I ran DCM in 4.08 but really took it easy. I am using HH intermediate plan 1 - like the use of more PMP miles in it and am doing some speed sessions with my run club once a week.

HH plans are good. Used one for my first marathon. Pick a time you hope to achieve 3.55/3.50 whatever. Go to runners world and download a pace band for the time you want. Try a few long runs at that pace and see how you feel. Speed sessions are a great help, don't forget the hill training. Lastly one of the cons of the Connemarathon is the lack of support but the scenery makes up for it. I know in big city marathons the crowds can help push you along. Anyway best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

Signed up for the Ultra. First official one. More concerned about the weather than the hills based on last years reports!
    Find the training plans on the Connemarathon site from John O'Reagan useful as a guide.
    Looks like a lot of wet & windy weather forecast this week so will get out in it as much as possible and consider it good prep :)

HH plans are good. Used one for my first marathon. Pick a time you hope to achieve 3.55/3.50 whatever. Go to runners world and download a pace band for the time you want. Try a few long runs at that pace and see how you feel. Speed sessions are a great help, don't forget the hill training. Lastly one of the cons of the Connemarathon is the lack of support but the scenery makes up for it. I know in big city marathons the crowds can help push you along. Anyway best of luck.

Thanks...will do. Appreciate it. Best of luck!

HurlyBurly wrote: »
    Signed up for the Ultra. First official one. More concerned about the weather than the hills based on last years reports!
    Find the training plans on the Connemarathon site from John O'Reagan useful as a guide.
    Looks like a lot of wet & windy weather forecast this week so will get out in it as much as possible and consider it good prep :)

Me too! Actually embracing the bad weather too. But I love running in the rain

Would love to do the ultra someday, but not enough training time at the moment. How's it been going? Lots of back to backs?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

No major back to backs yet, just 10miles one day followed by a 20mile long the next. Will probably throw in maybe 2 big back to backs but I think I do better with very long long runs so will have a few 26-30milers in there hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Hi folks just wondering what your strategy is for pace during the ultra?
    1st ultra so my primary goal is to finish it without resorting to crawling any section.
    But I'd like to do a sub 6 which would be a realistic time for me.
    Have done plenty of marathons and I know the key for a good time is consistent pace, but running a 4hr marathon pace at approx 5.40km is uncomfortably slow for me. I was planning on running around a comfortable 3.45 marathon, and basically, well, hanging on as best I could for the sub 6. The last 3rd is an absolute unknown for me so I'm looking for advice on how to approach it.

Cheers

Advertisement