Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 year old birthday in creche - goodie bags

Options
  • 10-01-2017 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi All,

My 3 year old first birthday in creche will be in few weeks. I was thinking of getting a cake and goodie bags for kids in his room.
    Cake I was asked to get it from shop. There would be 13-14 kids that he plays regularly with in creche i.e. alternating rooms etc. Hence 13-14 goodie bags required. What could I put in goodie bags? I was thinking sweet, small toy, crisps? As thats what he got once from creche.
    Any ideas?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd avoid sweets / food if possible unless you are given the all clear from creche / other parents.
    You don't know of any allergies and some parents are very restrictive about their little ones diets.
    Small toy etc... could work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wouldn't worry about diets and allergies unless you've been specifically told about it. If a child has an allergy, the parent will go through the goodie bag before the child does.

Bag of Haribo, a mini chocolate bar, a lollipop, a small set of colouring pencils and a little colouring pad. Get it all in Dealz, shouldn't cost you more than a euro or two per child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Do you have to bring goodie bags to crèche? Personally I would not be restrictive in my 4 year olds diet but if she got a goodie bag it would be emptied before I got to it. Bubbles and stickers always go down well

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

thanks a lot everyone. I did ask about allergy but they said there are no allergies but just keep the cake simple so as not to have nuts just to be safer. But goodie bag was no restrictions.
    I like idea of stickers and bubbles.
    Thanks for Dealz mention as well, would have a look there :)

seamus wrote: »
    Bag of Haribo, a mini chocolate bar, a lollipop, a small set of colouring pencils and a little colouring pad. Get it all in Dealz, shouldn't cost you more than a euro or two per child.

This sounds great as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Is this kind of stuff actually expected now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Makes me grateful for my local playschool's policy of a special birthday chair and no cake or presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Turtle001

Tesco have mini bags with colouring and stickers in the which we used. Handier than giving more sweets IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Call me difficult, but I wouldn't be too happy if my child came home with a bag full of E numbers which they'd been allowed to tear through without my permission first.

I would stick to the fun stuff - bubbles, colouring, party hats/those hooter things they can blow, maybe a wee plastic toy of some sort. If you're gonna put food in it, make it something healthier like a packet of nuts or fruit or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I really would rethink that completely. Cake with family at home should be plenty, the children will be oblivious. It's just hassle for staff and parents will feel oblidged to do the same for their child then next time.

Also... sorry now, but handing out bags of crisps and bars to 3 year olds? Wtf?

pwurple wrote: »
    I really would rethink that completely. Cake with family at home should be plenty, the children will be oblivious. It's just hassle for staff and parents will feel oblidged to do the same for their child then next time.

I see your point. The goodie bag was handed to parents at the end of the day, it was not given to the kids.

Call me difficult, but I wouldn't be too happy if my child came home with a bag full of E numbers which they'd been allowed to tear through without my permission first.

I would stick to the fun stuff - bubbles, colouring, party hats/those hooter things they can blow, maybe a wee plastic toy of some sort. If you're gonna put food in it, make it something healthier like a packet of nuts or fruit or something.

yes this sounds good. The reason I felt obliged to do it was, since he received from other kids. It never occured to me until he reciced stuff, hence felt they might be expecting as well.

Well, looking at so many parents not happy about it, I doubt parents from playschool would be happy.
    I would ask in creche again whether is expected.
    I would doubt it is mandatory. If it is not, i would just scrap the idea then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

kknitter wrote:
    Well, looking at so many parents not happy about it, I doubt parents from playschool would be happy. I would ask in creche again whether is expected. I would doubt it is mandatory. If it is not, i would just scrap the idea then.

I think the reason for the response is that it's unusual for a créche to have this situation, they really should have a policy on this, it's extra pressure on parents and not fair on them. Plus, there's the healthy eating factor too, which surely the creche should be promoting.

I think the reason for the response is that it's unusual for a créche to have this situation, they really should have a policy on this, it's extra pressure on parents and not fair on them. Plus, there's the healthy eating factor too, which surely the creche should be promoting.

yes, If anything I would just put small toy in the bag, no food at all.
    I agree on healthy eating, as mentioned the items i listed were cause he received them hence thought it was expected.
    I am rethinking cake too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

This has happened in my daughter's play school and she's come home with a bag full of sugar and plastic tat that is all in the bin by the end of the day. It's her birthday in a couple of weeks on a Friday and I'm going to send in a little cake and some candles but no goodie bags. The kids won't notice and I consider it a complete waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

kknitter wrote: »
    pwurple wrote: »

I see your point. The goodie bag was handed to parents at the end of the day, it was not given to the kids.
    So what's the point in it?

We'd send in a wee cake or some cupcakes if she's in the creche on her birthday and they have a wee party. I hadn't even considered goodies bags and I'm pretty certain we won't be for the next one! ;)

Thank you all for the replies. If I make goodie bags, no food will be in it.
    I am rethinking the cake anyways.

Advertisement