Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Street

Options
  • 10-01-2017 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I am looking to return to the financial services sector after a career break of just over a year. I previously worked in the IFSC for 16 years, but had to commute from my house in south Kildare, not far from Carlow, so a more manageable commute like Kilkenny would be super.
    I just wondered if anyone had some feedback on what it is like to work for State Street there at the moment. Also, if there are any current employees who know of current or upcoming opportunities it would be great to find out more.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kilkea wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking to return to the financial services sector after a career break of just over a year. I previously worked in the IFSC for 16 years, but had to commute from my house in south Kildare, not far from Carlow, so a more manageable commute like Kilkenny would be super.
    I just wondered if anyone had some feedback on what it is like to work for State Street there at the moment. Also, if there are any current employees who know of current or upcoming opportunities it would be great to find out more.

Thanks all!

I know a few people working there and they are there a good few years now. It's one of the biggest employers in Kilkenny and draws a lot of workers from around. As you say beats commuting to Dublin.
    They seem happy there, it's typical of those large multinationals, there's usually a high staff turnover but also a lot core staff there a long time. I'd imagine they're always recruiting, why not approach them on spec?
    I'd say expect to take a lower salary potentially than Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilkea

road_high wrote: »
    I know a few people working there and they are there a good few years now. It's one of the biggest employers in Kilkenny and draws a lot of workers from around. As you say beats commuting to Dublin.
    They seem happy there, it's typical of those large multinationals, there's usually a high staff turnover but also a lot core staff there a long time. I'd imagine they're always recruiting, why not approach them on spec?
    I'd say expect to take a lower salary potentially than Dublin...

Thanks bud. Yep, I have reached out to their HR in Dublin to get my CV in front of them. I guess my only concern is the reputation of State Street that I heard before when I worked in Dublin.....some people refer to them as 'Slave Street' due to the long hours they make staff work etc. Just sometimes hard to know if that originated from a few disgruntled workers of whether it is more widely felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kilkea wrote: »
    Thanks bud. Yep, I have reached out to their HR in Dublin to get my CV in front of them. I guess my only concern is the reputation of State Street that I heard before when I worked in Dublin.....some people refer to them as 'Slave Street' due to the long hours they make staff work etc. Just sometimes hard to know if that originated from a few disgruntled workers of whether it is more widely felt.

Like that, I've heard the bad stories about people who hate it and the long hours...I think if you're in a more senior position there you don't get any over time (which is typical in most salaried positions) and I've heard some people that think it's a crap place to work and move on.

Advertisement