Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamo Question

Options
  • 10-01-2017 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Quick one: is it possible to damage a Dynamo powered light by mixing up the wires or is it likely I've just a dodgy connection. Lights working fine yesterday, but not today? Shimano hub w/ B&M front and rear lights. Rear connected to front light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Mixing wires is not a problem. Crossing the wires to produce a short is. Dirt and moisture can cause corrosion at connections leading to problems also.

First thing is to disconnect/reconnect and see does that make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Mixing wires is not a problem. Crossing the wires to produce a short is. Dirt and moisture can cause corrosion at connections leading to problems also.

First thing is to disconnect/reconnect and see does that make a difference.

Thanks for that, I was in a hurry this morning before commuting to work. Was fearing the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

I think on shimano hubs, the plastic connector will only fit one-way onto the hub. So unless you changed the direction of the wires going into the connector subconsciously I don't think you could have changed the wiring from what it was previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

Euppy wrote: »
    I think on shimano hubs, the plastic connector will only fit one-way onto the hub. So unless you changed the direction of the wires going into the connector subconsciously I don't think you could have changed the wiring from what it was previously.

I think the wires are very loose in this connector. Is this supposed to be the case? In order to facilitate quick release of the wheel? I imagined if they were tightly secured they would end up getting torn/ripped when popping out the front wheel. In any case I checked it again on my lunch-break and it appears to be back working.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

fcon wrote: »
    I think the wires are very loose in this connector. Is this supposed to be the case? In order to facilitate quick release of the wheel? I imagined if they were tightly secured they would end up getting torn/ripped when popping out the front wheel. In any case I checked it again on my lunch-break and it appears to be back working.
    In my experience the wires fit very securely in the connector. Measure and strip the insulation to the exact length, twist the inner strands together so its a bit fatter than otherwise, then the outer case pushes on very snuggly. QR'ing the wheel isn't a problem (if you remember to pull off the connector, first!) and it goes back on just as tightly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement