Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you name this part?

Options
  • 10-01-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Can you please tell me the name of this part, because I want to know how to dismantle/remove it and I don't know the name so I can look for tutorials :( thank you very much.

Please copy and paste the link bellow so you can see the part. Thanks again.

scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/15943294_10210425836335811_1520284848_o.jpg?oh=efd786aa235cd4d14e192876249141e7&oe=587736C1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

First post and a weird link? Be careful anyone attempting to open this

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Perdigas81

Take it easy its a facebook upload image link im not her to spam or scam anyone, I just need help to name that part please. How else do I upload the picture? is there a image upload site that you trust/prefer so I can upload the picture? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Perdigas81 wrote: »
    Take it easy its a facebook upload image link im not her to spam or scam anyone, I just need help to name that part please. How else do I upload the picture? is there a image upload site that you trust/prefer so I can upload the picture? thanks

Link isn't working for me??

just copy the whole link and paste it on a new tab url address bar, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

This is the pic lads

• Advertisement

thank you very much pcuser, so the part name i need is the very central round one, anyone know the name and how to remove it so i can have basically the frame separated in 2 parts? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Due to the nature of the bike,ie its a cheap one,this part does not separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You want to split the front frame from the rear section? Judging by that picture you simply need to remove the cranks/bottom bracket (the part which the pedal spindle goes through) and the rear lower section should simply drop out. I cant see it in the picture but presumably there is a shock that that you will also need to remove which holds the upper rear section of the bike together?

Yes that is correct, the shock/suspension I took out already, and I don't think I need to take the pedals, i was looking and i found the name i think, something like a pivot bearing, I think i need a pivot bearing removal tool :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Removing the crank willnot split the bike in two!!

• Advertisement

I think id does, because its the only thing holding it together, the bike is a Jeep Comanche Limited like this one: goo.gl/qjDC1h

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's not the crank that will split the bike but the pivot below. You'll probably need to remove the crank and then push out the pivot bush. This may not be designed to be removed so go carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. How else do I upload the picture? is there a image upload site that you trust/prefer so I can upload the picture? thanks
    As far as I know you need to have a minimum of 50 posts before being permitted to upload pics/links. (To prevent spamming etc. I presume).

As far as I know you need to have a minimum of 50 posts before being permitted to upload pics/links. (To prevent spamming etc. I presume).
    yeah I guess its something like that, but pcuser uploaded the image already thanks.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    It's not the crank that will split the bike but the pivot below. You'll probably need to remove the crank and then push out the pivot bush. This may not be designed to be removed so go carefully.
    Ok thanks ill try to find a proper tool and maybe some tutorials on how to do it, do you guys know of any can watch? or where I can search?
    thank you very much to all of you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it broken?

is it broken?
    No its not, I just want to dismantle as much as I can because of moving it inside a box, and that's a crucial part for space saving :/ I took the wheels already, front fork, seat, steering part and that's the only part missing :( or else it won't fit in the box, but with that removed, it will only go up until the diameter of a wheel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not to be smart, but could you use a bigger box. Most bike shops will have spare ones or hold one from a new build if you ask?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not to be smart, but could you use a bigger box. Most bike shops will have spare ones or hold one from a new build if you ask?
    Thanks for the advice, but the thins is that my stuff is going trough a shipping company that charges by box dimensions and weight, so the size is a issue I'm afraid :/, it's almost the difference between 50 and 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Removing the crank willnot split the bike in two!!

Judging by the picture it will but removing the pivot nut will do the same thing but if you look at the picture, you need to remove the cranks to remove the pivot nut but it looks like the whole thing including the pivot joint will drop once the cranks are removed.

• Advertisement

I have a video that I can show you guys, here: I just upload it, so the quality will change to HD in a while... youtu.be/sHh3xRg4zxs

Judging by the picture it will but removing the pivot nut will do the same thing but if you look at the picture, you need to remove the cranks to remove the pivot nut but it looks like the whole thing including the pivot joint will drop once the cranks are removed.

Dunno...to me it looks like the pivot bracket is welded to the BB. Once the cranks are removed(id say its a square taper BB), the bearing cups and bearings (probably loose bearings too!) will also have to be removed. This will, give access to the pivot on the drive side, which should make removing the pivot easier. But is it really worth the hassle?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Dunno...to me it looks like the pivot bracket is welded to the BB. Once the cranks are removed(id say its a square taper BB), the bearing cups and bearings (probably loose bearings too!) will also have to be removed. This will, give access to the pivot on the drive side, which should make removing the pivot easier. But is it really worth the hassle?
    Watch the video it might help youtu.be/sHh3xRg4zxs

Watch the video it might help youtu.be/sHh3xRg4zxs

I've had a look.. at 23 seconds...is that an allen key bolt inside the pivot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Have you considered selling the bike here and buying another in your new location. The bike is not worth transporting, probably worth €50 tops

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on the offchance you need to buy a tool to split it, or it ends up costing €100 to ship - have you considered selling it and buying a new bike at the far end?
    it's not a bike that has a huge value, so money spent shipping it may be worth its secondhand value anyway.

edit: cunavalos beat me to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think id does, because its the only thing holding it together, the bike is a Jeep Comanche Limited like this one: goo.gl/qjDC1h
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    cunavalos wrote: »
    Have you considered selling the bike here and buying another in your new location. The bike is not worth transporting, probably worth €50 tops

Considering they can be bought almost new for about 150euro, it might be well worth selling and buying a new or second hand one where you are going. Rather than paying the price of a second hand one to transport it and running the risk that it cannot be put back together easily.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I've had a look.. at 23 seconds...is that an allen key bolt inside the pivot?
    yes it is I will try with the right allen key bolt, maybe it just needs to be unscrewed, thank you.

Thanks guys, ill try with the allen key, maybe take it to a bike garage, and if its too much trouble/money, ill try to sell it and buy a used one yes.

• Advertisement

cunavalos wrote: »
    Thanks guys, ill try with the allen key, maybe take it to a bike garage, and if its too much trouble/money, ill try to sell it and buy a used one yes.

Advertisement