Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought house - Charged for removing gas meter lock

Options
  • 10-01-2017 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I have just bought and moved into a house where the gas meter was locked because the former tenant let the account go into arrears (which I didn't know at the time). The former owner just didn't know anything about it, according to the estate agent. I got the meter unlocked, wasn't told there'd be a charge for this. According to this:
    http://www.cer.ie/docs/000678/CER14097%20Siteworks%20Charges%20.PDF
    unlocking the meter should be free unless the meter was a prepay, which it wasn't. Have now just received a bill for €145.08, due tomorrow. I called BG, who said that that information is wrong, that there is always a charge for unlocking meters, and could only apologise that I wasn't told there'd be a charge.

Now, maybe that pdf is just out of date, but even so has anyone else found this situation and successfully argued it? I have no way of contacting either the previous owner or the previous tenant. Am I just stuck with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I believe its a caveat emptor situation I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I bought a house late last year and also had to get a lock taken off due to previous owner tenants in arrears.
    I was half expecting such a charge as i think the people at BG mentioned it to me but it never appeared on my bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OP, page 8 of the document you listed has "Supply Restoration" for Supplier requested activities as 145.08 for out of working hours. This is likely what you were charged for. Did you request it or your supplier? What does the invoice say you're charged with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I work for a utility company and it's standard I'm afraid.

Gas Networks carry out the work on behalf of the supplier and the supplier is billed.
    This is then passed onto the customer. No profit is made, they only charge the site works + VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Meelah

OP, page 8 of the document you listed has "Supply Restoration" as 145.08 for out of working hours. This is likely what you were charged for.

I saw that but it was within working hours i.e. a weekday, 3pm. Plus, on the phone, the BG guy said there was *always* a charge for removing the lock.

I'm wondering if I can persuade them that it shouldn't be my responsibility to pay for an issue caused by the previous owner/tenant.

• Advertisement

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I work for a utility company and it's standard I'm afraid.

Gas Networks carry out the work on behalf of the supplier and the supplier is billed.
    This is then passed onto the customer. No profit is made, they only charge the site works + VAT.

Thanks for the clarification BetsyEllen but can a case not be made to the supplier that the liability should be on the previous owner rather than me?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Your solicitor dropped the ball on this one I think. I was involved in selling a house recently and the buyer's solicitor insisted on final meter readings on day the keys/money were exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Meelah wrote: »
    I saw that but it was within working hours i.e. a weekday, 3pm. Plus, on the phone, the BG guy said there was *always* a charge for removing the lock.

I'm wondering if I can persuade them that it shouldn't be my responsibility to pay for an issue caused by the previous owner/tenant.

You won't. It's an argument that is attempted very regularly and the answer is always No.
    Their answer will be that it's not the gas company's fault that this was missed when you purchased the property (not necessarily your fault either, I know) and they have already lost money due to the arrears. And they have paid Gas Networks for locking the meter in the first place.

If you request the service of an engineer to come out and remove the lock, you must pay for that service.

Sorry; I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the way it is!
    I think a better move would be to complain to the solicitors that dealt with the sale.
    If this was a tenant situation then the landlord would take responsibility.
    However I will say that in nearly all cases that I have dealt with in this situation, the new owner pays.

And the gas company will not get involved in the dispute, it will be up to you to chase the previous owner/solicitor.

On a separate note, where I work we charge the fee upfront before we even book the appointment, then there is no way there can be any confusion over not knowing you needed to pay!
    I find it strange that BG bill after the work has been carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd get them to show you in writing that there is a charge or refund the money if their paper work says other wise and they charged after removing the lock then they are also at fault. Was it a DD, you could get the bank to do a charger back, BG know you can do this. If you say you are going to do a charge back and make a complain about sharp practice to the energy regulator they my change their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why do you expect a vendor to carry out work on your home for free? Especially seeing that your predecessor stiffed their gas supplier.

• Advertisement

Why do you expect a vendor to carry out work on your home for free? Especially seeing that your predecessor stiffed their gas supplier.

Which of my posts makes you think I don't think the vendor should be paid? I expect my predecessor to be the one to pay seeing as they were the ones to stiff the supplier and create the extra work for the engineer. This is my first home, I have never even had an account with any fuel supplier before and suddenly I am paying for someone else's bad behaviour. In which post exactly do I suggest that the supplier shouldn't be paid by the person who owes them all that money?

@BetsyEllen, thanks for the info, I appreciate the honesty. Have now paid the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Which of my posts makes you think I don't think the vendor should be paid? I expect my predecessor to be the one to pay seeing as they were the ones to stiff the supplier and create the extra work for the engineer. This is my first home, I have never even had an account with any fuel supplier before and suddenly I am paying for someone else's bad behaviour. In which post exactly do I suggest that the supplier shouldn't be paid by the person who owes them all that money?

@BetsyEllen, thanks for the info, I appreciate the honesty. Have now paid the bill.

These sort of one off costs are just part of buying a house and owning a property. Not worth your time or energy doing anything about it, will cost you more over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I hope it does not spoil the enjoyment of your new home. However you are not paying for bad behaviour of another. You are just paying to get the gas reconnected.

The previous owner should pay, certainly, but they haven't and most likely aren't under any legal obligation to do so. Buying a house isn't like buying a good like a car or a dishwasher. When you are the home owner you are stuck with the responsibility.

Advertisement