Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis Birth.

Options
  • 10-01-2017 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all.

I'm in the early stages of pregnancy but hypnosis birth is always something that appealed to me. I've looked up classes to do etc but I'm just reaching out to see if anyone here has any personal experiences with it and how the labour and delivery went and if you'd recommended giving it a try.

Thanks a mill in advance for any replies!

J xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

A lot of women on here have done the gentle birth so I'm sure you'll get a few responses from them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There's a thread here called" Elective CS first time "which has some info on it.I can't link, on a phone.
    I didn't do hypnosis births exactly but I managed as far as I could myself and gas and air took me the rest of the way.Upright for the second birth, had no interference from medical people in both.Can't recommend it enough.It's totally doable once you know how to communicate what you want, and it's an amazing feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Hi Jixa I'm in the early stages also keen to learn about hynobirthing. I got a good app from the itunes store with meditations which have defo been helping with morning sickness and sleeping. I think you do classes near the end but I wanted to start doing something now. The downloads cost €6.99 and graphics a wee bit dated but worth it I think. http://hypnosisappstore.com/hypnobirthing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Gentle birth is brilliant! There's a Facebook group, gentle birth moms, and you can ask on there about classes in your area. Some people just use the app but the course has fantastic skills for both parents and loads of info about your local hospital and their best practices etc. You also get 3 months free on the app when you do the course. The course is expensive but honestly worth every penny. Ibe never heard anyone say it was a waste.
    I remember my second birth so fondly and happily compared to my first which was not gentle birth. My husband and I both felt talky confident and like a team after the course.
    Sorry rambling now but definitely look it up!

Gentle birth is brilliant! There's a Facebook group, gentle birth moms, and you can ask on there about classes in your area. Some people just use the app but the course has fantastic skills for both parents and loads of info about your local hospital and their best practices etc. You also get 3 months free on the app when you do the course. The course is expensive but honestly worth every penny. Ibe never heard anyone say it was a waste.
    I remember my second birth so fondly and happily compared to my first which was not gentle birth. My husband and I both felt talky confident and like a team after the course.
    Sorry rambling now but definitely look it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

I'm doing the Domino scheme at the Coombe and signed up to their hypnobirthing course as part of this. I thought it was fantastic but I'm not due till the end of the month so can't comment yet on how its going to work for me! We got a book and CD as part of it and I have been listening to the meditation tracks as much as possible. I find them really calming even at this stage. If your hospital has such a course I would say book it asap. My midwife told me to ring immediately at my booking apt and the course was months later. I think I was lucky to get a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I did the course and highly recommend. Had a section in the end and used the techniques to stay calm throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jixa

Guys thanks a mill for the replies. Will definitely look up Gentle birth. I don't mind paying the money for the classes if it's definitely what I'm set on doing. Did any of you go public? I'm not sure how doable it will all be on a public ward :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I did a gentlebirth course on my first pregnancy and practised what I'd learned on my second also. Both girls born public in holles street, midwives were fantastic. Absolutely doable. Both my midwives were extremely supportive of the techniques and were very "modern" in their approach, they never left the room but more or less left me to it and were very encouraging of my choices.

You'll be grand! Gentle birth gives you skills to stay calm and in control no matter the situation! ( induction, c-section etc) They even recommend practising the tracks in noisy places. But you are also sort of encouraged to labour as much as possible at home where you are most comfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You'll be grand! Gentle birth gives you skills to stay calm and in control no matter the situation! ( induction, c-section etc) They even recommend practising the tracks in noisy places. But you are also sort of encouraged to labour as much as possible at home where you are most comfortable!

This is what I wanted to ask. I had an incredibly fast and overwhelming first labour (I was in hospital and recorded labour was just over 1hr!). I never felt in control at all. Obviously there were medical issues being dealt with but would this have helped stay calm in spite of that?

This is what I wanted to ask. I had an incredibly fast and overwhelming first labour (I was in hospital and recorded labour was just over 1hr!). I never felt in control at all. Obviously there were medical issues being dealt with but would this have helped stay calm in spite of that?
    Were you induced or was it natural? The tracks keep you calm and in a meditative state ( hopefully!!) Your partner is the one who deals with the medical side and you've decided on your dos and don't s and your plan a, b and c lol together. So midwifes work with him and your birth plan and only disturb you if absolutely necessary. So you can stay focused on your tracks and labour. There's a lot of trust involved but it really makes you a team!

Were you induced or was it natural? The tracks keep you calm and in a meditative state ( hopefully!!) Your partner is the one who deals with the medical side and you've decided on your dos and don't s and your plan a, b and c lol together. So midwifes work with him and your birth plan and only disturb you if absolutely necessary. So you can stay focused on your tracks and labour. There's a lot of trust involved but it really makes you a team!

I had a failed induction. Was due to be scheduled for a c section when he decided feck this I'm coming now. My contractions started at 2 mins apart and were 1 minute apart when I was still undilated. My partner didn't get there until half an hour to go and I was well hyped at that stage :( I'm nervous about going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I did the Gentlebirth course and used the app. It was a great comfort during pregnancy. Didn't get to use everything about it I wanted during labour as it was very quick and baby was breech but I think it was definitely a huge benefit to hubby who stood by me through it and interacted with the medical staff. Hypno stuff is a little different and doesn't always work for everyone, but Gentlebirth should have benefits for everyone irrespective of Hypno susceptibility.

I had a failed induction. Was due to be scheduled for a c section when he decided feck this I'm coming now. My contractions started at 2 mins apart and were 1 minute apart when I was still undilated. My partner didn't get there until half an hour to go and I was well hyped at that stage :( I'm nervous about going again.

Every birth is different! Actually your experience sounds like an induction! They are generally very intense! I wanted to avoid it at all costs. My first I went into labor at mid night. Contains every 3 minute lasting a minute. Went into hospital at 3am because I couldn't cope with intensity. They said I want even 1 cm! They made hubby go home so I was alone and in massive of pain. By noon I was finally 3cm but exhausted from no sleep. Had to have my waters broken at 3pm as I want progressing and they were talking c section which I was totally against. Pushed for an hour before I met my son.
    With gentle birth and the affirmations I had a 4hr labour. 3hrs at home. I knew when my body was ready and we went in. I want scared but my contains were just as fast as the first, and even worse in my back but I managed!
    They told me I was only 3cm but I knew he was coming. Was only in the labour ward 15min when he started coming! They were very surprised!
    Gentle birth is also about listening to your body and trusting it! I did no pushing second time. My body did it all!
    Even tho number 2 was intense I still remember it and smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Mirrorwall my first birth was the same, only 1.5hrs and my second was just over 30mins. Very fast, very intense but gentlebirth definitively kept me in check. On my first I found my mind beginning to panic and wander as things were literally happening so so fast but the breathing techniques and my tracks playing on my phone brought me back. If you've had such a quick labour on your first I'd actually recommend gentlebirth even more so for you.

Digs wrote: »
    Mirrorwall my first birth was the same, only 1.5hrs and my second was just over 30mins. Very fast, very intense but gentlebirth definitively kept me in check. On my first I found my mind beginning to panic and wander as things were literally happening so so fast but the breathing techniques and my tracks playing on my phone brought me back. If you've had such a quick labour on your first I'd actually recommend gentlebirth even more so for you.

Thanks. Jesus I really hope if we go again its not 30 mins-I wouldn't make the hospital in traffic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I would also highly recommend gentle birth. I unfortunately ended up with an emergency caesarean last time but could not have coped without the gentle birth techniques. They really helped me to get through it. It helps you to stay calm and in control no matter what happens.

I've been very anxious this pregnancy after the last one and gentle birth is really helping me to deal with it.

It's great for the dads too. My husband has felt very empowered since we did the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My daughter was born in 43mins & I would definitely say Gentlebirth was a big help. I was totally in the zone, I can bearly even remember the midwives being there, my husband kept having to repeat anything they said as I was so focused on listening to my body.
    Got through labour with just gas and air but pushed her out with no pain relief at all:)

Advertisement