Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balance Bike

Options
  • 10-01-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi guys, looking for advice on balance bike. Boy nearly 4 has a strider and only in the last few weeks has he started to use it. Now he's flying on it but it's too small, he's a big boy for his age. Looking for another balance bike as want to make sure he's confident before going to pedals. so ideally would like one bigger than the strider that will do him for a couple of years, and one you can add a pedal system to. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I would buy a decent wee bike that will suit him in a few years, drop the saddle and remove the cranks / chain. Add these when the time comes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My daughter (now 6) was in a similar position 2 years ago. Balance bikes are expensive and I wasn't willing to pay the money for one when she'd get so little use out of it so I bought a 14" girls bike off donedeal for €10 and stripped cranks/pedals brakes mudguards etc etc off it and gave it to her. She used it all summer and loved it and by September I took the stabilisers off her own bike and she pedalled it perfectly immediately with no balance or stopping issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Sorry I have no knowledge about balance bikes bigger than the Strider.

It might make sense to get him a regular bike that fits him and remove the pedals for a little while. You'll be shocked how quickly kids can make the transition from balance bike to pedal bike. The balance bike teaches them the difficult skills of balancing and steering. Pedalling comes quickly.

At 4, I'd say after a few months on a balance bike he'd be well able for pedals.

Frog bikes are very good, and very easily to ride. Pricey, but might be worth it.
    https://www.frogbikes.com/lightweight-kids-bikes/

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

was looking at getting something like this https://www.littlebigbikes.com/

That looks pretty nifty.
    And provides the same solution in reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I was in a similar situation and got a regular kids bike and took the chain and pedals off for a while. One thing to watch for is that whatever bike you get make sure the rear wheel has a freewheel and isn't fixie. Lots of kids bikes that size seem to be fixie. It makes the transition from balance bike to pedals harder if the pedals keep slapping them in the shins when they're pushing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

was looking at getting something like this https://www.littlebigbikes.com/

Jack off all trades master of none. Realistically she'll only need a balance bike for a short period of time.

You are best getting a bike with pedals and no stabilisers. It'll break your back for a week or two. Just hold the saddle /handlebars and run beside her

At the risk of being pernickity - when learning to cycle it is better to support the child rather than the bike. That way the child gets a proper fell for how the bike leans and moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

At the risk of being pernickity - when learning to cycle it is better to support the child rather than the bike. That way the child gets a proper fell for how the bike leans and moves.

Depends how how you support them, holding on to them can result in you pulling them off balance or changing their position . I found loosely holding the saddle or handlebars worked, had herself riding on her own when she was just gone 3

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ted1 wrote: »
    Depends how how you support them, holding on to them can result in you pulling them off balance or changing their position . I found loosely holding the saddle or handlebars worked, had herself riding on her own when she was just gone 3
    Yeah, but you also get backache!

I found a hand on the shoulder was most comfortable.

I would second a cheapo Donedeal bike with the pedals removed (and maybe the cranks and chain, if you can be bothered).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

For a really good value balance bike, you can't beat the Decathlon Run Ride (they have a slightly cheaper version without the brake) It's lightweight, and well built and zero maintenance. It's now on its third child in our house and was a great buy

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

My small fella was probably 2 and a half when I got him a balance bike (Strider) but he never seemed to get the concept of free-wheeling with it - he just walked at his own pace. He hardly even sat on the saddle - just walked while straddling the bike. On request, Santy brought him a regular bike with stabilisers a year ago. He loved cycling around on this and every now and then I'd bring him back to the balance bike to see if I could get him to freewheel with it but again, wasn't overly interested. Then around 3 months ago I saw him messing about a bit on the balance bike - pushing off and freewheeling - so I asked him would he like to take the stabilisers of his big bike. He said yes and started cycling straight away. Starting and stopping were still a problem but once he got going he was grand. I suppose the lesson from our story was not to waste months on end trying to get him to master his balance before getting a pedal bike - we could go for walks in the park and he could enjoy cycling with his stabilisers the day after getting the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

I brought my young lad (5) to the top of a grassy hill, ran with him the first few meters and then let him off.....a couple of days doing that and he was flying, and a few weeks later he's cycling by himself around marley park now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I got one of these for my grandson.

http://www.twowheelingtots.com/specialized-hotwalk/

I can't give any feedback on it yet, he's only 7 months old.
    Just planning ahead.

I like this thread.

Not so much my da is bigger than your da, but my child is smaller than your child. :)

Advertisement