Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing my skin care secret!

Options
  • 10-01-2017 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Okay, some background info:

I'm a 32 year old fella. I use no products apart from a teeny amount of shampoo (no preference) , Lidl brand body moisturizer and sometimes a dash of whatever shower gel or even hand soap is around under the pits and in the man-bits whilst in the shower.

Now, when it comes to faces I believe men have a natural advantage in that we shave every day or every few days which helps to remove layers of dead skin whether we mean to or not.

For years I struggled to find something between a face cloth and a tissue which was soft enough to use on my face to wipe away grease etc and loosen dead skin after washing my face but strong enough to not disintegrate whilst doing so.

Well the closest I have found is Saxson Ultra kitchen roll in Aldi. Get your face nice and wet and warm, break off maybe 3 or 4 sheets, get them good and wet, squeeze all the water out of them and simply wipe your face clean. You can see and feel the results straight away. Repeat once or twice and bobs yer uncle. I don't moisturise afterwards because my face soon regulates itself but those with dryer skin may wish to do so.

I dunno why I'm even here in the beauty section to be honest, but it really works for me so thought I'd share. I'm gonna be 33 this year, my diet ain't the best and my exercise plan is sporadic at best but I still get ID'd in Tesco when buying wine so I must be doing something right.

Any comments or feecback welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Have you tried using a muslin cloth?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

For those wondering, 2 rolls cost e1.50 and will last you maybe 2 or 3 weeks so it's not expensive or that much of a waste eco-wise. It's quite satisfying after a shave to see all that white coloured dead skin and assorted face-clog rolled right off your face. Once you have a good morning scrub you only need to touch up once or twice during the day to keep that fresh feeling complexion going

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

GingerLily wrote: »

Yep I have, they're not bad at all but not as soft as I'd like. They tend to drag just a little bit on the skin. I'd use them on my neck, shoulders etc but not on the face. I like how the damp roll glides across whilst still picking up everything that shouldn't be on the skin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You should try the come clean cloth in pennys. €1 each, reusable and very effective.

Den_M wrote: »
    GingerLily wrote: »

Yep I have, they're not bad at all but not as soft as I'd like. They tend to drag just a little bit on the skin. I'd use them on my neck, shoulders etc but not on the face. I like how the damp roll glides across whilst still picking up everything that shouldn't be on the skin

Sure whatever your into!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thank you for sharing :)

Who wipes their face with a tissue though???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

Whats the benefit over a towel??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

How on earth did you come to using kitchen towels on your face in the first place?! But hey if it works for you fair enough. Have you ever tried a face wash? However I would recommend starting on a moisturiser with spf and an eye cream while you are still in your early 30's as by late 30's lines will be setting in and any skin damage won't be reversible.

Everyone should wear spf during the day if you ask me (and most skin care experts), water and tissue won't remove that, so I feel like this "secret" has a few flaws, but whatever works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

What spf do people use? I can't find any decent (cheapish) moisturiser with a good spf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

PopTarts wrote: »
    What spf do people use? I can't find any decent (cheapish) moisturiser with a good spf

I use vitamin C glow protect lotion SPF 30 from the body shop, I find it really good for my dry skin as its quite emollient and it smells divine, like a capri sun.. granted not an ideal scent for everyone but I love it. They do lightweight ones too if your skins more normal/combination, they generally have a whole range of SPF face creams if orange scent isnt your thing. I like the body shop because theyre cruelty free.

Another one I use and find quite good is Avene anti-redness moisturizing protecting cream SPF 20. I dont notice any reduced redness in my face when I wear it but its non greasy and gives no negative results so its handy just to use an SPF face cream under make up, it doesnt have much of a scent to it either and its anti irritation.

If you look in boots you'll find loads of SPF face creams from different brands that vary in price, you can get SPF tinted moisturisers and BB/CC creams too. Soap and Glory make yourself youthful CC superfluid spf 15 is really good. Rimmel and Maybelline do cheaper SPF face products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

PopTarts wrote: »

I use Image but that could hardly be classes as cheap. If I was budgeting, I'd go for the Bioderma one (yellow tube, they sell it in boots.) Its SPF 50 which is great, but really SPF30 is fine for Ireland for most of the year, so get at least SPF30 whatever you end up choosing.

Advertisement