Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add Wood/Laminate to Granite top Island

Options
  • 10-01-2017 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi All,

My island is topped with ~160cmx60cm black granite, and I want to extend it on two sides by 30cm each to give room for a breakfast bar area. Is it possible to add on a wooden worktop to the sides? Any ideas on price for installation?

Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

kulekat wrote: »
    Hi All,

My island is topped with ~160cmx60cm black granite, and I want to extend it on two sides by 30cm each to give room for a breakfast bar area. Is it possible to add on a wooden worktop to the sides? Any ideas on price for installation?

Many thanks!!

So you want to make it 160x120 ? Doesn't sound possible to me to do that and have it looking presentable.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

ok, is it the wood/granite combo u think wont look well?
    or the joint between them that would look bad?

Any other options to increase the size?

the final measurement would be 190cm long and 90cm wide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

So you want to add an 'L' shaped piece to the granite top. ? It throws up all kinds of problems not least how it will be supported. I presume you want this flush with the granite top and trying to abut a radiused edge to a wooden edge would be very tricky. Why not have a word with granite suppliers and see what they suggest ?

Yes, exactly. I'm troubleshooting to see whether we would go down this route at all.

Current granite is 30mm thick - so yes creates problem if I added a 40mm laminate wood - obviously wouldnt work. Support is an issue, depending on whether an L shape, or just one side is added.

I've contacted a few companies and yes it appears tricky, but I'll keep digging and if no solution is found then I will just get a new slab of granite (or wooden laminate). It would be a pity though as the piece thats there is in good nick. Any suggestions as what to do with that...sell online maybe?

TIA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Yes, exactly. I'm troubleshooting to see whether we would go down this route at all.

Current granite is 30mm thick - so yes creates problem if I added a 40mm laminate wood - obviously wouldnt work. Support is an issue, depending on whether an L shape, or just one side is added.

I've contacted a few companies and yes it appears tricky, but I'll keep digging and if no solution is found then I will just get a new slab of granite (or wooden laminate). It would be a pity though as the piece thats there is in good nick. Any suggestions as what to do with that...sell online maybe?

TIA :)

Any decent kitchen supplier should have a solution for you, straight off I would say if you were willing to have the b-bar oversaling the current counter top with some support to the ground it should have no problem

• Advertisement

Thanks, yes i'm def open to a raised b-bar. In fact I think that would look way better than a piece flush beside the granite.
    Maybe something like this...

https://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=96532

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Thanks, yes i'm def open to a raised b-bar. In fact I think that would look way better than a piece flush beside the granite.
    Maybe something like this...

https://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=96532

Yeah, a good kitchen supplier will point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

A shaped corbel with a cap on top to screw the timber top down to.

Thanks for your help...think I have it sorted. Cheers!

Advertisement