Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to buy a laptop

• 10-01-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Looking to buy a new laptop (personal and business in one) and trying to find the most cost-efficient source.

Have heard multiple times that buying online is far cheaper than in-store, but not sure which sites are best. Is it a case of going through each manufacturers own website or is there a third party vendor which has decent laptops at good prices?

Also open to recommendations on particular models for anyone who wants to chip in. Looking for something small, sleek and light, as I already have a desktop and this laptop will be supplementary. FWIW my favourite laptop I've had for work was a Lenovo X1 carbon, and would definitely buy this if it was at a slightly lower price point with decent specs.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's your budget?

For some low price is 250, for others it would be 800. You need to let us know where you stand. And is this just for web, office and basic tasks? Or is there anything more specific that you'd like to use it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 phelimoc

I did specify slightly lower than an X1 Carbon, but that is quite vague. What I meant by this is that I'd be willing to spend up to €1,500 for a high spec laptop that should last a few years, but also happy to forego some of the more expensive add-ons and get a reasonably good spec for between €800-€1,200.

The tasks you outline are what it will be used for 95% of the time. There are certain programs I use for work but these are basic enough and I would most likely not require them on my laptop in any case.

Advertisement