Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage protection forms

• 10-01-2017 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi there.
    i'm currently filling out mortgage protection forms for a house i'm buying with my partner and just looking for some guidance on the medical section. how important is the honesty regarding drug use?
    we're not regular drug users at all, but we dabble from time to time. is it important to mention this? if we didn't, would it only impact the claim if a death was drug related? similarly, how important is it to be open about smoking? she would smoke when having a drink, but not otherwise. would there be much of a difference in premiums regarding being open about this? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

timbobby wrote: »
    hi there.
    i'm currently filling out mortgage protection forms for a house i'm buying with my partner and just looking for some guidance on the medical section. how important is the honesty regarding drug use?
    we're not regular drug users at all, but we dabble from time to time. is it important to mention this? if we didn't, would it only impact the claim if a death was drug related? similarly, how important is it to be open about smoking? she would smoke when having a drink, but not otherwise. would there be much of a difference in premiums regarding being open about this? thanks!

If you mention use of illegal drugs you will be declined cover.

If not disclosed, it is the general principle that all claims will be rejected for non-disclosure ( IF the company find out you were a user at the time you took out the policy). Assuming they find out about drug use, even a claim for an unrelated cause of death would be turned down on the basis that a contract could not be legally incepted had they known initially about the drugs....contract null and void...return of premiums paid to date.

In other instances where any non-disclosure of facts comes to light for a claim, a company will look to see if they COULD have put someone on cover had they known the details from outset. If this was possible, a claim would be paid if it was unrelated to the non-disclosure. E.g. Someone who had diabetes and did not mention it dies in a road traffic accident. If the diabetes could have been covered, a claim will generally be paid. Where somebody would have received a medical loading for the non-disclosure, the amount would be reduced to take account of this.

Advertisement