Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pubs on Green LUAS line Stillorgan to Carrickmines

• 10-01-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent pub close to the Green Luas line.

I live close to Leopardstown Valley & we only have the Gallops which is a bit of a dive. Ideally within a few stops and not too far of a hike from the Luas stop !

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭recyclops

Best bet would probably be the lep inn closest to stillorgan, other than that its an uphill hike to the step inn or drinking in the hotel bar in the clayton, the area of stillorgan to sandyfor to ballyogan is not full of pubs at all

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭strawdog

The Dropping Well off the Milltown stop is the only other decent pub close to the Green Line that I can think of before you get to Ranelagh/Town. Maybe Uncle Toms Cabin near the Dundrum stop if you want a nice but very quiet pint

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Galloping Green (not too far beyond the Lep Inn)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Brickyard at Balally stop is very handy. Or walk around to winters in Dundrum, or Dundrum house or the eagle.

Best bet just go up the blue light and enjoy the best boozer in Dublin,your handy enough for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Andip wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent pub close to the Green Luas line.

I live close to Leopardstown Valley & we only have the Gallops which is a bit of a dive. Ideally within a few stops and not too far of a hike from the Luas stop !

thanks in advance

The step inn wouldn't be a million miles away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I live by the Gallops, put my head in the door for literally 5 seconds after I moved in and haven't been back since. It's not exactly a pub, but the bar in the Clayton hotel at Central Park is OK for a couple of quiet drinks. If I wanted a real pub I'd walk to the Step Inn in Stepaside vilage.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Heading citybound:

Central Park - The Clayton Bar is ok, but nothing special. Typical hotel bar.
    Sandyford - The Lep Inn. Very nice bar.
    Stillorgan - O'Dwyers in Kilmacud (can also get out in Kilmacud for this one)
    Kilmacud - The Goat is less than a 10 minute walk from this stop. Great bar.
    Balally - That new bar in Rockfield, Winters
    Dundrum - few pubs in Dundrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I live by the Gallops, put my head in the door for literally 5 seconds after I moved in and haven't been back since. It's not exactly a pub, but the bar in the Clayton hotel at Central Park is OK for a couple of quiet drinks. If I wanted a real pub I'd walk to the Step Inn in Stepaside vilage.

Likewise, I think its the smell of disinfectant that put me off ! - only been in the area a few weeks, so really appreciate all the recommendations, thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Lepp Inn or The Goat are your best bets. Both are generally busy with a good atmosphere and proper pub feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The Lepp Inn or The Goat are your best bets. Both are generally busy with a good atmosphere and proper pub feel.

The part of the Lep Inn where the revolving bar was has had a huge makeover and is now A Very Classy Joint, well worth a look.

The part of the Lep Inn where the revolving bar was has had a huge makeover and is now A Very Classy Joint, well worth a look.

And it's now confusingly called "The Lepp" bar. Whereas as the lounge is just the regular Lepp Inn!

They were selling the carousel for €25000!

I should say as well OP, the food in both pubs is fantastic. It's a bit pricier in the Lepp than it should be but both do great pub grub and meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The Gallops is grand to be honest.
    Step Inn would be my nearest local but it is boring as hell along with the other Pub in Stepaside.
    The Golden Ball in Kiltiernan was a grand spot pre close down / reopen. At least you could have a game of darts in it or a game of snooker.

The Blue Light is a grand spot for a pint but a bit of a treck if you are walking. Although the walk down through the forest after a feed of pints is fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

There is also the Millhouse, Bolands and The Orchard in Stillorgan village little bit of a walk from the Stop though

The Gallops is grand to be honest.
    Step Inn would be my nearest local but it is boring as hell along with the other Pub in Stepaside.
    The Golden Ball in Kiltiernan was a grand spot pre close down / reopen. At least you could have a game of darts in it or a game of snooker.

The Blue Light is a grand spot for a pint but a bit of a treck if you are walking. Although the walk down through the forest after a feed of pints is fun..

Thanks - main issue here is getting to the pubs. I don't mind the main bar in the Step Inn or the Golden Ball but realistically both are quite a treck hence looking for something on the LUAS. Gallops is probably ok if you want a game of darts, but for a pint and a newspaper it doesn't really tick the box for me, but thanks anyways

The revolving bar in the lep inn is gone?

Haven't been in that section of the bar in a few months.

awec wrote: »
    The revolving bar in the lep inn is gone?

Haven't been in that section of the bar in a few months.

Yep, about three or four months now. They sold the carousel off and redecorated that whole area and put in a new smoking area.

It's good and it looks very modern but it didn't actually create much extra seating and it took away a pretty cool novelty.

New owners just wanted to make it their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Dundrum house is really nice, good pints great food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jaysus, you'd need hiking boots and sandwiches for some of the walks recommended here. Stick with Balally stop for the Brickyard, or Winters or down to the Eagle Dundrum House, or Dundrum stop for Uncle Toms or up to Dundrum House.

Jaysus, you'd need hiking boots and sandwiches for some of the walks recommended here. Stick with Balally stop for the Brickyard, or Winters or down to the Eagle Dundrum House, or Dundrum stop for Uncle Toms or up to Dundrum House.

I think the longest walk is 10 minutes. :confused:

• Advertisement

Brickyard looks interesting & right on the LUAS - says its a gastropub but is it ok for a pint and a newspaper or are you considered taking up valuable seating ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

awec wrote: »
    I think the longest walk is 10 minutes. :confused:
    Long way off;
    https://goo.gl/maps/HEJpRrejs632
    Andip wrote: »
    Brickyard looks interesting & right on the LUAS - says its a gastropub but is it ok for a pint and a newspaper or are you considered taking up valuable seating ?

It has never been jam packed anytime I've been there, so I don't think anyone would be in the way. They have stools at the bar too.

Advertisement