Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bust Éireann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It doesn't matter what it's called, they are still trains running on rails!

Have a look at this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqV62IIRpWM
    I'm aware it can happen my point being it's never happened with the Luas . They probably clean the lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I rang four people from the procurement office and not one of them picked up. Do they finish at 3 o clock or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

They only answer the phone every second Tuesday.

Leap card readers are being rolled out on private operators within the next 2 months according to the Revenue Protection lad I was talking to, he was talking very quietly as if he didn't want people to hear how he wasn't doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Boaty wrote: »
    Leap card readers are being rolled out on private operators within the next 2 months according to the Revenue Protection lad I was talking to, he was talking very quietly as if he didn't want people to hear how he wasn't doing his job.

or, he could have simply been talking. revenue lads don't have to stay silent while doing their jobs, you know.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

or, he could have simply been talking. revenue lads don't have to stay silent while doing their jobs, you know.

I said how he wasn't doing his job because leap cards came out years ago and BE are only getting around to installing leap card readers on buses hired by BE now.
    Passengers travel for free on hired buses if they have a leap card and the bus doesn't have a leap card reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

On the bus route I travel every day ..The cost of a day return is 11e,so I asked for a 10 journey ticket to see if it would help reduce my costs ,the bus driver says 66e

How can that be possible? It's more expensive than buying a ticket everyday

I also asked for a student day return and bus driver shakes his head and says 14.20e
    Even he couldn't understand the pricing

No wonder they are losing paying passengers and money if this is how they are pricing their tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It allows ten journeys without needing to be the same day - it should be cheaper than 5x open returns. However there are some extremely odd fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I said how he wasn't doing his job because leap cards came out years ago and BE are only getting around to installing leap card readers on buses hired by BE now.
    Passengers travel for free on hired buses if they have a leap card and the bus doesn't have a leap card reader.
    What buses does this apply to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi Boaty, do you know what buses this applies to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

L1011 wrote: »
    It allows ten journeys without needing to be the same day - it should be cheaper than 5x open returns. However there are some extremely odd fares.

But the journeys need to be taken within a week, not over the course of a month!

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi Boaty, do you know what buses this applies to?

Yes but I don't want people taking advantage of a company which is already struggling and its also unfair on the people who pay the fare.

Yes but I don't want people taking advantage of a company which is already struggling and its also unfair on the people who pay the fare.

yeah that's great and i agree. but it doesn't answer the question of which busses are being fitted with the card machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can we not have "Send three and fourpence, we are going to a dance" type second-hand, unsubstantiated posts.

Facts are the preferred currency of this forum.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Can we not have "Send three and fourpence, we are going to a dance" type second-hand, unsubstantiated posts.

Facts are the preferred currency of this forum.

All I'm going to say is that Leap Card readers are a long time coming and this is known, any logical person can see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Are any sort of talks due on this matter neither has said it's open to talks. I reckon union will make themselves extremely hard to talk to unless it's with Bus Eireann. I reckon the unions are trying to find a way of getting around the law to cause a sympathy strike.

However I do believe the issues on this strike are slightly more reasonable then the previous strikes in both Dublin Bus and Luas. First of all Bus Eireann is being run poorly by management and the government. I always belived it wasn't even as well run as Dublin Bus all you have to do is compare the two's profitablity.

This delayed pay agreement for is Dublin Bus welching on a deal. I did not agree this pay agreement in the first place but I believe if you make a deal you stick with the deal unless the other party agrees to it.

However I believe this would not have caused a dispute so son if it had have been for the BE strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Strike off talks on for the time being anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Strike off talks on for the time being anyway.

Looks like they are standing up to the unions on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Actually management have backed down atm as well. It's the unilateral changing of staff T's&C's that was threatening this strike nothing more nothing less.

Infini2 wrote: »
    Actually management have backed down atm as well. It's the unilateral changing of staff T's&C's that was threatening this strike nothing more nothing less.

Unions backed themselves into a corner.

Embarrassing climb down by OLeary.

After all his rhetoric and bluster.

• Advertisement

Unions backed themselves into a corner.

Embarrassing climb down by OLeary.

After all his rhetoric and bluster.

nope. no clime down. nobody is backed into a corner. clearly there is room for discussion and both sides want to avoid a strike, so are going to talk it out. a good result that will hopefully bare a deal that will insure good staff relations and save the company.

nope. no clime down. nobody is backed into a corner. clearly there is room for discussion and both sides want to avoid a strike, so are going to talk it out. a good result that will hopefully bare a deal that will insure good staff relations and save the company.

I'm afraid that those two aspirations would seem to be incompatible.

As I see it O'Leary had his bluff called and has finally accepted reality.

Hopefully things can be 'sorted' and some semblance of common sense will again permeate through the transport unions rather that the opportunistic attempts to 'jump the queue' that have been going on up to this.

The taxpayer has had enough of the bullying up to now.

Theres been no bluff called. I honestly dont know what your going on about. The strike was coming about because of unilateral pay cuts by management. That was the whole core trigger for it. When management backed off when asked by the wrc the union had done its job in that regard and suspended the strike.

Honestly I dont know what logic your applying to your argument but its clearly invalid here.

Theres been no bluff called. I honestly dont know what your going on about. The strike was coming about because of unilateral pay cuts by management. That was the whole core trigger for it. When management backed off when asked by the wrc the union had done its job in that regard and suspended the strike.

Honestly I dont know what logic your applying to your argument but its clearly invalid here.

I think you have omitted the most important issue.

The company would go to the wall unless costs were reduced.

The fact that O'Leary seemed to ignore that, and try and fail to involve the minister, whilst going on attack mode over the airwaves tells me that the balloon burst and reality dawned.

Playing the Ace on an all out indefinite backfired badly.

Let's hope now that some sense prevails.

He's on now on MI blustering and still trying to involve the taxpayer. ( 0750 Thur)

Won't seem to see reason so I don't see a good outcome here.

Jumping the gun there the strikes have only been suspended not called off. They're willing to talk as they have said and because the threat of pay cuts has been pulled pack they're keeping their word in that regard.

Ultimately though no matter how much ross tries to keep out of it he eventually may have no choice but to get involved unless of course hes sacked but its a combination of policy and management thats causing this whole dispute.

Core pay won't he budged on staff arent gonna be forced to take reducions in their pay because their jobs are being undermined by bad decisions.

Jumping the gun there the strikes have only been suspended not called off. They're willing to talk as they have said and because the threat of pay cuts has been pulled pack they're keeping their word in that regard.

Ultimately though no matter how much ross tries to keep out of it he eventually may have no choice but to get involved unless of course hes sacked but its a combination of policy and management thats causing this whole dispute.

Core pay won't he budged on staff arent gonna be forced to take reducions in their pay because their jobs are being undermined by bad decisions.

Perhaps core pay won't be touched, but there are a lot of 'peripheral' payments such as overtime and such which certainly should be tackled as well as the well published sick leave stats which of course generates the overtime to a considerable extent.

To say that policy and management are the only causes of this whole dispute to me seems to be a bit naieve and seems to dismiss the facts that we have had disputes in Luas, DB,BE and unrest in Ie whilst the rest of the country gets on with it.

Can't all down to policy and bad management surely??

These lads will talk till the cows go home, that's what they love doing but the real crux is will they actually see the writing on the wall or try to dance on the head of a pin on more of these 'late night talks' whilst the taxpayer looks on with a certain amount of cynicism

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think government will have little or no input in this . I cannot see how tax funding can be diverted to it as state aid is not allowed. State aid is a cross sectoral issue that the EU commission comes down very hard on whether it is direct or indirect. The core of the issue is DB, BE and IE all want the government to step in and resolve not just this issue but there pension issue as well. Workers will have to accept that these have to be funded by the company themselves from income earned.

Cost of public transport to consumers is very high in Ireland. As well tax reliefs targeted at consumers are used to allow transport companies charge high rates and these benefit the better off. The idea that along with high charges we should subsidize companies further is ludicrous.

Slava Ukrainii

I cannot see how tax funding can be diverted to it as state aid is not allowed. State aid is a cross sectoral issue that the EU commission comes down very hard on whether it is direct or indirect.

EU countries have been getting around those rules when it suits for years. lets not pretend otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

EU countries have been getting around those rules when it suits for years. lets not pretend otherwise.

Apple not so much though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If the facts are correct, the management paper discussed in this IT article is pretty stunning.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bus-eireann-proposes-route-closures-sharp-cuts-to-staff-earnings-1.2982036
    The company says that at present there are 1,378 full time drivers whom on average last year worked an average of 1.6 hours overtime per day in 2016.
    Driver basic rates of pay of approximately €32,000 are not out of line with industry averages and this rate is not an impediment to competitiveness. However, driver total earnings are high, last year average earnings were €47,000 with a significant number earning over €60,000 which also suggests that many drivers earned much less than the average.

In many cases, the higher earning drivers have an easier schedule with less weekend work and less actual revenue generating driving time. Newer drivers tend to be on the lower earnings even though they work more weekends.
    However, we believe the average rate of clerical pay at approximately €45k is excessive and cannot be justified. Normally, a company would have more people at the standard pay levels and reducing to a much smaller number with higher level responsibilities. In Bus Éireann the pyramid is inverted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement