Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bust Éireann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Infini2 wrote: »
    I should point out that this is the kind of poisonous cancer from the so called private sector supporters that leads to the likes of idiots like Trump or Brexit happening. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is a bloody retarded tool as it's basically used by certain private parties to undermine peoples terms and conditions. Undermine wages by bringing in foreign workers to undercut, I mean this is the kind of crap that erodes the middle class and starts race wars.

I honestly think at this stage people only want to be jealous of peoples wages or find an excuse to be bitter or rant that its not fair on them. Really now, honestly, why does anyone here actually wanna be putting down people on a middle class wage, anything between 35~55k isn't exactly big money these days it only LOOKS like it and thats before taxes and costs. It seems to me people here only want to put down others for their own self interest and nothing more.

I'm afraid it's nothing to do with jealousy, it's just being tired of being skinned by people who seem to think the taxpayer will bankroll them no matter what

Time to shout 'STOP' here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I should point out that this is the kind of poisonous cancer from the so called private sector supporters that leads to the likes of idiots like Trump or Brexit happening. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is a bloody retarded tool as it's basically used by certain private parties to undermine peoples terms and conditions. Undermine wages by bringing in foreign workers to undercut, I mean this is the kind of crap that erodes the middle class and starts race wars.

I honestly think at this stage people only want to be jealous of peoples wages or find an excuse to be bitter or rant that its not fair on them. Really now, honestly, why does anyone here actually wanna be putting down people on a middle class wage, anything between 35~55k isn't exactly big money these days it only LOOKS like it and thats before taxes and costs. It seems to me people here only want to put down others for their own self interest and nothing more.

Keep your hair on. I was merely pointing out examples to EOTR to correct him, based on Salon Fires post.

However, within state/semi state sectors, we must accept the legacy issues and how they affect competition from the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'm afraid it's nothing to do with jealousy, it's just being tired of being skinned by people who seem to think the taxpayer will bankroll them no matter what

Time to shout 'STOP' here.

To be honest HOW are you getting skint exactly? Your not being presented with ANY bill here. You seem to think that somehow the transport sector is running off with huge chunks of the budget yet the amount of cash in the overall budget to keep BE financed would be miniscule compared to other stuff.

I honestly think your being foolish with this whole "taxpayer" thing because there would be far bigger things to be honest in the budget that would be far more questionable. If anything why are fares allowed to rise instead of the subsidy being increased to keep fares down instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Talks have collasped. Strike from Bus Eireann staff is well & truly on from next Monday.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0221/854155-bus-eireann-dispute-back-at-wrc/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donal na gealla

Devnull, Irish rail leaves its overpriced, ramshackle and unsafe British (privatised) counterparts in the ha'penny place, but if you prefer the British model, I can't really help you.

Spot on there. I just returned from a week of nightmarish travel on the the various privatised Southern English bus and rail services. The rolling stock in Essex was especially bad. Like a flashback to Ireland in the 70s.

• Advertisement

Spot on there. I just returned from a week of nightmarish travel on the the various privatised Southern English bus and rail services. The rolling stock in Essex was especially bad. Like a flashback to Ireland in the 70s.

And theyre hire the same lads now who ruined BR to attempt the same thing here...

Talks have collasped. Strike from Bus Eireann staff is well & truly on from next Monday.

Strikes will only occur IF pay cuts are pushed through tho. Until then its a stalemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

So are the private Irish bus operators competing with expressway guilty of poor service/high fares/bad busses?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Grandeeod wrote: »
    However, within state/semi state sectors, we must accept the legacy issues and how they affect competition from the private sector.
    Is there any part of the public sector that has been able to compete with private operators without subsidy?

Perhaps it's time to accept that our public service cannot compete with private operators and plan accordingly - instead of slowly introducing private competition (e.g. the 10% Dublin bus route plan) we should instead shut down the public operator, pay generous redundancy and start from scratch with 100% private operators. We can't be having these endless strikes and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Until then its a stalemate.
    Well, until it goes bust and shuts down. You can't run a company that makes losses forever - what sort of reserves do they have?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I should point out that this is the kind of poisonous cancer from the so called private sector supporters that leads to the likes of idiots like Trump or Brexit happening.

If I was a citizen of the UK I'd have voted remain and if I was in the US I'd have voted for Clinton, I think both Brexit and Clinton are idiots, but thanks for generalizing.
    Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is a bloody retarded tool as it's basically used by certain private parties to undermine peoples terms and conditions. Undermine wages by bringing in foreign workers to undercut, I mean this is the kind of crap that erodes the middle class and starts race wars.

Because some bus drivers may have their pay reduced in line to what the rest of the market has it might start race wars? Come on, I've heard some laughable stuff from the unions in the last few days but this is right up there.

Also why is it, that supporters of the drivers and the unions continually come on this board and call people names, insult them, swear at them and suchlike. Are you not capable of putting your point across without these things?

And the ironic thing is? For all the jokes you make about Trump, this kind of behaviour is exactly the kind of behaviouar that he carries out insulting people calling them names and insulting anyone who doesn't agree with him.

The ultimate in irony

To be honest HOW are you getting skint exactly? Your not being presented with ANY bill here. You seem to think that somehow the transport sector is running off with huge chunks of the budget yet the amount of cash in the overall budget to keep BE financed would be miniscule compared to other stuff.

The way the company is structured is not very efficient for it to meet it's needs, the cost of the overtime for the company is higher than the amount or revenue said overtime can generate. There are drivers earning over 60k who are ****ting on the junior drivers who spend more time driving but have a lower wage, while complaining that management are ****ting on people below them in the chain, whilst doing the same to their junior colleagues themselves.

In most organisations there is a pyramid or seniority, you have a larger number of junior staff and as the chains go up the number should reduced, in Bus Eireann that trend is reversed which cannot carry on like this, there are clerical staff earning way above the market norms. The taxpayer has a right to value for money and everything that has been pointed out in the last few days has suggested they are not getting it.

If anything why are fares allowed to rise instead of the subsidy being increased to keep fares down instead?

Because both me and you know that every time the subsidy is increased, the more funds the staff will expect the company to give in a pay rise, so the money ends up not going on the service but on industrial relations issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Well, of course.

If I am shopping around for car insurance for instance, I don't choose the one that costs me the most money.

Likewise, I don't want to see my taxes and charges any higher than they need to be to fund salaries anymore than it needs to be.

Nobody is jealous of others' wages. There is not a single post in this all forum bemoaning the wages earned by others outside the state sector. I don't give a monkey's what the senior management are Dunnes Stores is getting paid because it costs me nothing. I don't shop there.

But when it comes to already overpaid state workers trying to extract even more money from the taxpayer (me), then I will raise my objections. And plenty others too.

If the private sector can operate a superior service with no subsidy then surely it's obvious there should be more private sector involvement in transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Surely it's time for the government to up their subsidies
    I'm sure there is plenty of rural services that are run at a massive loss but that's the point of a public service is to provide transport in these areas
    I have no problem with some cuts but surely the government should at least take some of the hit

Unfortunately a lot of the problems in the United Kingdom have not been caused by the private operators but by the Strategic Rail Authority and the Department for Transport who in some cases have banned operators from ordering new rolling stock, have micro-managed orders or have took control of procurement exercises from private operators and took 4-5 years to complete a tender that would be done in a quarter of that time if left to the private sector alone.

That's why you have silly situations where an operator predicts overcrowding on a line in a certain timeframe and places an order for rolling stock to deal with it, the department then turns around and tells them that their growth prospects are too ambitious and they are not allowed to order that many trains and when the trains are delivered and are proven to not be enough, the department then turns around to the operator and asks them to urgently do something about a problem that was caused by the department in the first place.

As for Essex, you will be pleased to know that currently a whole new fleet is in construction for the whole of East Anglia including Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk services which will amount to over 1000 carriages to be implemented between 2019/2020 in a full fleet replacement after the British Government finally decided that they are no longer going to meddle or micro manage rolling stock the way they have in the past.

I'm sure there is plenty of rural services that are run at a massive loss but that's the point of a public service is to provide transport in these areas

The rural services are not losing money. The company is paid a PSO grant and given free vehicles to run such services every year, this investment has been increasing for the last few years and has gone up again this year.

The services that are losing money are the commercial ones which are subject to private competition and connect major towns and cities. In the commercial market if you are unable to compete with competition you need to adjust your services accordingly.

I know the union are trying to terrify people living in rural areas and use them as a weapon in all of this to make them scared that they will lose their bus service, but it's simply not the case whatsoever.

Some reading material for you:
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/statement-by-national-transport-authority-on-bus-services-in-rural-communities/

“Suggestions that decisions made by the National Transport Authority (NTA) in granting commercial licences to bus operators have been to blame for the difficulties being experienced by Bus Éireann, simply do not stand up to scrutiny.

“The notion that there is saturation on the inter-city corridors served by Expressway services, and that the NTA grants licences to operators at the drop of a hat, is well wide of the mark.

“In fact since 2011, we have rejected almost as many applications for licences on these key routes, as we have granted.

“In any case, over 80 per cent of Bus Éireann passengers travel on their subsidised services, which are under no threat whatsoever, with just 19 per cent using their commercial services such as Expressway.

“Our primary responsibility in law is to the travelling public, and when we assess an application for a commercial licence, we do so with this in mind, while looking at a whole range of considerations including likely passenger demand, impact on existing services and impact on subsidised services.

“It has consistently been the case that where new licences are issued in these markets, that overall passenger numbers have increased, in many cases, very significantly. For example, between 2012 and 2015, total bus passenger numbers on the Cork Dublin Corridor increased by 61 per cent, while on the Limerick Dublin Corridor, they increased by 50 per cent.

“In other words, rather than saturating the market, what we have actually done is increase public transport capacity, and in so doing enabled many more journeys to be undertaken on the bus network.

“Unfortunately, there has been some level of confusion in discourse around Bus Éireann in recent days and weeks, and it is crucial to reassure the company’s customers, particularly in rural areas by looking at the facts of the matter.

“Bus Éireann commercial services like Expressway, account for only 19 per cent of all the company’s passengers.

“81 per cent of Bus Éireann passengers are on routes subsidised under the Public Service Obligation (PSO) Contract that the company has entered with NTA.

“This will not change, and these services are under no threat. In fact they have been a huge success story in recent years, with passenger numbers continuing to increase. Last week the NTA published figures for 2016, which indicated a 5.5 per cent increase in passengers on Bus Éireann subsidised services, jumping from 30.2m in 2015 to 32m last year.

“Subvention for these services by the NTA to Bus Éireann increased from €34m in 2014, to €40m in 2016. And that figure is likely to go up again in 2017. The NTA successfully made a case for an increase from the state for PSO funding, and this year we will be allocating €262.6m in public transport subsidies to operators including Bus Éireann, up from €236.6 in 2016.

“If it is the case that some Expressway services are discontinued at local level, NTA will, as our track record proves, step in and ensure that local demands for public transport are met. We will not leave any rural communities behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I have no problem with some cuts but surely the government should at least take some of the hit

I'd have no problem increasing the subsidy if Bus Eireanns costs were within market norms and they were still in difficulty and there is a proven need for services. They (costs) are not however. They have to many administrators and conditions exceed those of private operators.

Until that happens calls for increased subsidy should be ignored.

Acting CEO just said on the radio that they have no choice but to axe the three routes previously mentioned following the talks which broke down this afternoon.

He's also talking about saving the maximum number of jobs in such situation which suggests that some people may be getting a lump sum and a visit to the dole office soon.

Unions are now looking for a pay rise apparently and compensation for drivers who have lost earnings in the last few weeks - you couldn't make it up!

http://buseireann.ie/news.php?id=2246&month=Feb
    The company has attempted to negotiate with the unions and has put every conceivable issue on the table without pre-conditions in an effort to address the financial crisis and ensure longer term competitiveness. The unions response to date has been to refuse to negotiate any change to terms and conditions, insist on a pay rise and seek compensation for staff who may have had a reduction in overtime earnings over the last few weeks.

The company cost structure is inefficient with drivers on average being paid for 9.4 hours per day (1.6 hours of this at overtime premium rates) when they only drive for 5.5 hours on scheduled services. The tax payer is paying excessively for the services currently provided.

What is clear at this stage is that the unions have no intention of reaching an agreement which will address the financial crisis. At current run rates of losses, the company could be insolvent by May. Immediate reductions in cost and improved efficiency are absolutely necessary to address the financial crisis.These initiatives must result in payroll savings of €12m now. The unions have refused to negotiate on terms and conditions which means that the insolvency issue cannot be addressed. Re-structurring is essential for longer term competitiveness but will not address the immediate insolvency crisis.

• Advertisement

Time to take the Unions on , I think.

Let's get it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

hmmm wrote: »
    Well, until it goes bust and shuts down. You can't run a company that makes losses forever - what sort of reserves do they have?

Was listening to something about this on Today FM, Dermot O Leary was on too. Apparently the company will be insolvent by May

Dermot O Leary kept saying that 'its a public company so the notion of being a low cost operator is ridiculous', 'department of transport needs to get involved' and the usual lines about wanting to fleece taxpayers or that how dare people have the temerity to expect a public service to be efficient.

He also said that the public are absolutely behind the workers and NBRU, however the host then told him they had been getting loads of texts during the interview and they were overwhelmingly in support of management and made the point that when your employer is facing bankruptcy you have to be willing to adjust. He swotted that away again by saying its a public company, etc.

As others have said, I would have no problem with a further subsidy increase if the service was
    • efficient
    • effective
    • cost structure was the same as private operators
    • pay was in line with the private rates in the market

But it isnt. In general, that is why Im very much in favour of low public spending in Ireland; the public sector in Ireland exists with the primary purpose of providing employment to people with higher rates of pay than they could achieve in the private market. The notion of providing an efficient and effective service for the public is a distant second. Thats also the reason our capital budget was gutted over the last 10 years; to prop up inflated current expenditure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bk wrote: »
    And yet the private operators deliver a vastly superior intercity service (almost 24/7, hourly service, non-stop using motorways, toilets, wifi, plugs, etc.) for the same ticket price as BE Expressway and with zero subsidy.

expressway isn't subsidized either, and the other routes operated by the company are subsidized as they aren't financially viable and are subsidized for social good. the privates operating profitable intercity services proves jot.

correct.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    Salon Fire has a point. I will quote you examples.

B+I Line - State owned, heavily unionised, loss making and prone to frequent industrial action. Sold off to ICG to become Irish Ferries. Old B+I Unions were tackled by management, mass redundancies followed and staff replaced by workers from abroad on different terms. Union Power smashed.

Waste collection - Previously the responsibility of CC's, heavily unionised and prone to frequent industrial action. Privatised. Some CC staff made redundant/transferred to private operator. Only one serious dispute since privatisation and that was in Greyhound waste and only in one depot. All legacy employees from DCC. Out of 78 workers 13 retained their terms and conditions based on their length of service while the rest took redundancy or a 15 to 20 percent pay cut. Legacy issues dealt with. Union power smashed.

Airline Industry - One word, Ryanair.

plenty of other companies then ryan air. the other companies could only make staff redundant because they had no other way to insure they could not pay staff a good wage like they are supposed to.

I honestly think your being foolish with this whole "taxpayer" thing because there would be far bigger things to be honest in the budget that would be far more questionable. If anything why are fares allowed to rise instead of the subsidy being increased to keep fares down instead?

for the benefit of any newbies the reason is the government wish to make the user pay the greater cost ultimately for the service.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

rather unfortunate, but there is still 5 days in which more talks could take place.
    hmmm wrote: »
    Is there any part of the public sector that has been able to compete with private operators without subsidy?

Perhaps it's time to accept that our public service cannot compete with private operators and plan accordingly - instead of slowly introducing private competition (e.g. the 10% Dublin bus route plan) we should instead shut down the public operator, pay generous redundancy and start from scratch with 100% private operators. We can't be having these endless strikes and hassle.

private operation doesn't stop strikes, fare rises, people seeking pay rises, and the rest. i thought luas would have finally got this through, but it seems not. having the public companies existing is the only way to insure there is a bench mark for any private competition to beat.
    salonfire wrote: »
    Well, of course.

If I am shopping around for car insurance for instance, I don't choose the one that costs me the most money.

Likewise, I don't want to see my taxes and charges any higher than they need to be to fund salaries anymore than it needs to be.

Nobody is jealous of others' wages. There is not a single post in this all forum bemoaning the wages earned by others outside the state sector. I don't give a monkey's what the senior management are Dunnes Stores is getting paid because it costs me nothing. I don't shop there.

But when it comes to already overpaid state workers trying to extract even more money from the taxpayer (me), then I will raise my objections. And plenty others too.

If the private sector can operate a superior service with no subsidy then surely it's obvious there should be more private sector involvement in transport.

privates operating with no subsidy means nothing as there is no comparison between the routes they mostly operate and the routes bus eireann over all run. bus eireann expressway doesn't get a subsidy as it is a commercial operation, just like the private operations.
    Flex wrote: »
    Was listening to something about this on Today FM, Dermot O Leary was on too. Apparently the company will be insolvent by May

Dermot O Leary kept saying that 'its a public company so the notion of being a low cost operator is ridiculous', 'department of transport needs to get involved' and the usual lines about wanting to fleece taxpayers or that how dare people have the temerity to expect a public service to be efficient.

He also said that the public are absolutely behind the workers and NBRU, however the host then told him they had been getting loads of texts during the interview and they were overwhelmingly in support of management and made the point that when your employer is facing bankruptcy you have to be willing to adjust. He swotted that away again by saying its a public company, etc.

As others have said, I would have no problem with a further subsidy increase if the service was

efficient
    effective
    cost structure was the same as private operators
    pay was in line with the private rates in the market

But it isnt. In general, that is why Im very much in favour of low public spending in Ireland; the public sector in Ireland exists with the primary purpose of providing employment to people with higher rates of pay than they could achieve in the private market. The notion of providing an efficient and effective service for the public is a distant second. Thats also the reason our capital budget was gutted over the last 10 years; to prop up inflated current expenditure.

in what way is the service not effective or efficient? pay must be more then the private rates so that the company can have huge choice of staff. it's up to the privates what they wish to do for themselves.
    devnull wrote: »
    Unfortunately a lot of the problems in the United Kingdom have not been caused by the private operators but by the Strategic Rail Authority and the Department for Transport who in some cases have banned operators from ordering new rolling stock, have micro-managed orders or have took control of procurement exercises from private operators and took 4-5 years to complete a tender that would be done in a quarter of that time if left to the private sector alone.

That's why you have silly situations where an operator predicts overcrowding on a line in a certain timeframe and places an order for rolling stock to deal with it, the department then turns around and tells them that their growth prospects are too ambitious and they are not allowed to order that many trains and when the trains are delivered and are proven to not be enough, the department then turns around to the operator and asks them to urgently do something about a problem that was caused by the department in the first place.

As for Essex, you will be pleased to know that currently a whole new fleet is in construction for the whole of East Anglia including Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk services which will amount to over 1000 carriages to be implemented between 2019/2020 in a full fleet replacement after the British Government finally decided that they are no longer going to meddle or micro manage rolling stock the way they have in the past.

that is true, but it is still the case that privatization of the railways in britain brought poor value for money, overpriced fares and ridiculous costs for the most basic of things. the disintegration and disjointment. had british rail been able to get on with it (which, while they were far from perfect they were actually getting there by the end and delivering dispite the low subsidy) then chances are more would have been delivered had they been funded properly. most if not all the projects that need doing were on their list long before now, and chances are they would have been delivered. much of what is said to have been delivered by privatization, delivered by br. the dft's failings aren't proof that things on the railway should be left to private hands, they are just proof the dft are incompetent, in my view.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I think O 'Learys bluff has been called.

No harm, in my opinion, time to tell these boys who is calling the tune.

State transport industry has been riding us ragged for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There are always pros and cons to privatisation. But in Ireland with no accountability, no regard for tax payers money and a pay them off to keep them quiet mentality. I think privatisation is the better option ...

private operation doesn't stop strikes, fare rises, people seeking pay rises, and the rest. i thought luas would have finally got this through, but it seems not. having the public companies existing is the only way to insure there is a bench mark for any private competition to beat.

So you're comparing the one private strike in the last 20 years in the transport sector with however many CIE have had in that time and saying somehow that it proves things are the same? Interesting logic.
    privates operating with no subsidy means nothing as there is no comparison between the routes they mostly operate and the routes bus eireann over all run.

He wasn't talking about PSO routes, he was talking about commercial routes and you know it, but no surprise the unions are trying to blur the lines of the two, they're already striking fear into vulnerable people about losing their rural bus if the company ploughs ahead with cuts even though this has never been on the table.

The reason the privates do not operate PSO routes is until now they have been unable to do so, however the unions right now are trying to stop them from ever doing so in the future, but if you want to say the companies are not running them out of choice, keep telling yourself it, doesn't mean they are true.
    in what way is the service not effective or efficient? pay must be more then the private rates so that the company can have huge choice of staff. it's up to the privates what they wish to do for themselves.

Any operation where drivers are earning 1.6 hours overtime every day and in some cases are earning the same amount in perks, overtime and bonuses and doubling their salary through these isn't efficient.

Any organisation that has an inverted pyramid of seniority at the clerical grade is not efficient since no organisation can ever be run with this many managers at a clerical grade.

Any operation where staff are being paid for 9.5 hours a day on a regular basis but are only driving for 5.5 hours a day is not efficient use of staff to services.

Any operation where it takes 1300 drivers to do the work of 950 drivers could do with optimized rosters is not efficient.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    There are always pros and cons to privatisation. But in Ireland with no accountability, no regard for tax payers money and a pay them off to keep them quiet mentality. I think privatisation is the better option ...

What is most ironic to me is that the arguments for having a publicly owned system is that it will prevent all of these things which we are told private sector systems will cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There are a lot more issues than pay and conditions at play here. BE assertion that on average drivers drive for 5.5 hours a day and are paid for 9.4 hours/ day are staggering . As technically busses are only stopped at start and end of journey and all time in between is driving time if bus is running this indicates that a lot of working time to is lost. This is either because of inflexibility or antiquated work practices.

I was looking at BE schedules versus private operators, there schedules are way more sparse and no 24 hour schedules. There product is very poor so it is no wonder passengers are voting with there feet. For all those that are on about public service transport it would seem that it is the private sector that is providing it not BE on intercity and large inter urban routes.

If unions are unwilling to negotiate I think Expressway should be closed down and there liciences handed to other operator's

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

that is true, but it is still the case that privatization of the railways in britain brought poor value for money, overpriced fares and ridiculous costs for the most basic of things. the disintegration and disjointment. had british rail been able to get on with it (which, while they were far from perfect they were actually getting there by the end and delivering dispite the low subsidy) then chances are more would have been delivered had they been funded properly. most if not all the projects that need doing were on their list long before now, and chances are they would have been delivered. much of what is said to have been delivered by privatization, delivered by br. the dft's failings aren't proof that things on the railway should be left to private hands, they are just proof the dft are incompetent, in my view.

Depends what fares you consider.

Advance fares are now much cheaper than they used to be even though walk-ups are quite a bit more expensive. So there are winners and losers. But far fewer people are using anytime walk up fares than years ago, many more people are using discounted tickets than previously.

There's also railcards for two people traveling together, disabled people, old people, students, families etc, which give great discounts, things which don't exist in Ireland, there re very few discounts for special groups apart from free travel pass holders.

I think season tickets are a little high certainly, however the problem is that the costs of providing peak time services are huge for rolling stock that is needed for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening and the rest of the time runs around empty.

If the operators were raking home huge profit margins I'd agree with you but the profits are relatively tight, they are only a couple of pence in every pound, it's not like they are taking double figures out of every pound which would indeed be a complete scandal.

Also anyone can say "it would have happened anyway." You could use that line anytime you disagree with something, but the very same people who say that, are the same people who say when bad things happen "That would never have happened if." if things went wrong and argue if the other side said "It would have happened anyway."

Cake and eat it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement