Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulcerative Colitis

• 10-01-2017 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,I've recently been diagnosed ulcerative Colitis and finding it difficult to get it under control. However after reading some threads on the condition, I think I'm not as bad as I thought. I'm on meds,like Pentasa and a steroid but their not really doing much to keep it under control. I'm just looking for advice and help in coming to terms with it and what foods to avoid and reasons why it flares up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 joefromireland

Here is a article on cureing colitis

We all can recall the painful distress from a bad case of the stomach flu or a bout with “traveler’s diarrhea.”   Can you imagine this happening almost everyday – all day long?  Unfortunately, for some people this is a way of life.  They know where every bathroom is in every building in every town they visit.  They fear going out of their home because of the sudden onset of stomach pains and an uncontrollable urge to move their bowels; followed by a torrent of diarrhea – sometimes accompanied by blood and mucus.  This distress is most commonly due to inflammation of the large intestine (colon) and is called colitis.  The cause can range from an infection with a bacteria, parasite, or virus to an allergic reaction from a disagreeable food.

See full article

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl/nov/021100chained.htm

or this article

Influence of dietary factors on the clinical course of ulcerative colitis: a prospective cohort study by Sarah L. Jowett in the October 2004 issue of the journal Gut found patients with ulcerative colitis had more frequent relapses when they consumed meat, especially red and processed meat, and eggs.1   The investigators felt the risk of relapse, and thus the activity, was from the sulfur compounds found in these animal foods.  Alcoholic beverages, many of which contain sulfur compounds, were also associated with risk of relapse.
    Comment: Ulcerative colitis is a disease that causes inflammation and sores, called ulcers, in the lining of primarily the large intestine.  The inflammation occurs most commonly in the rectum and lower part of the colon, but it may affect the entire colon.  This painful inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can be debilitating (diarrhea and stomach pains), and even fatal.   To begin to understand the cause of this disease, you must know that ulcerative colitis is found only in parts of the world where people follow the Western diet, high in meat and dairy foods.  This is an autoimmune disease, where the immune system attacks the body (in this case, the bowel primarily).
    The course of ulcerative colitis is characterized by frequent exacerbations (relapses).  Previous studies have found a high intake of dairy products, and a low intake of dietary fiber, are associated with relapses.  Patients with ulcerative colitis also have higher concentrations of sulfur in their intestines and the course of the disease correlates with that amount.2  Sulfur appears to be toxic to the intestine.  So, where does all this sulfur come from?
    The amount of sulfur in the intestine is increased by consuming animal products, which are inherently high in sulfur-containing amino acids, like methionine and cysteine.
    Dramatic improvement in patients with ulcerative colitis has been reported with a change to a diet low in sulfur-containing amino acids.2  My experience has been that people with ulcerative colitis, and a similar condition called Crohn’s disease, respond quickly and dramatically with a change to the diet we recommend (starch-based with the addition of fruits and vegetables). This is a diet which is inherently low in sulfur compounds because the foods we recommend contain no animal-derived products.

see full article at http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004nl/041100pufavorite5.htm

Some videos on this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

Matthew L wrote: »
    Hi,I've recently been diagnosed ulcerative Colitis  and finding it difficult to get it under control.  However after reading some threads on the condition, I think I'm not as bad as I thought. I'm on meds,like Pentasa and a steroid but their not really doing much to keep it under control. I'm just looking for advice and help in coming to terms with it and what foods to avoid and reasons why it flares up.
    I was diagnosed last Summer and after trying a few different meds, I managed to get it under control by October. Unfortunately, I was prescribed a penecilin-based antibiotic in November and my symptoms came back with a bang.
    I'm now on the same course of drugs as last Summer, but my condition is not getting any better so far. It may be the excess of Christmas eating/drinking that have prolonged things this time but the meds (Pentasa & Deltacortril Enteric) don't seem to be doing the job.
    I'm starting to look more my diet to see if there is anything stopping the meds from working but it's hard to keep track.
    Hopefully the meds have kicked in for you at this stage - I was initially given the Pentasa sachets to take but they just gave me a sore throat - when I switched to taking them the "other end" they were alot more effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rightman

Hi All,
    Any chance someone here could recommend a Gastroenterologist Consultant based on their own experience?
    I've been diagnosed with UC back in 2000 - last couple of years I've been looked after by one local doctor but he took a different role that doesn't allow for seeing individual patients...
    I've had appointments with two different consultants since but I struggle to be listened to or to have any option to ask questions (plus a bit of time from a doctor to answer them). I have a feeling that all they're interested in is to make profit and hopefully maintain, maintain and finally say oops - time to cut or chemo! I've measured the actual time of my last appointment - 7 minutes and 150e. It's like a joke - are you feeling well? any blood? here's your prescription and I'll see you in 6 months... He gave me a prescription for Salofalk and Steroids - take them when you feel you need to take them he said! Mad stuff - I took some steroids in the past and every single time it was strictly controlled by my leading doctor and there was none of this "cowboying".
    I'd love to find a doctor that for the money will actually pay some attention to what I say and will try (even a bit only) to get to know me and my case. I don't mind the cost - it's normal that these visits have sense only in private rooms.
    I appreciate any feedback and wish you all well!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Here is a article on cureing colitis

We all can recall the painful distress from a bad case of the stomach flu or a bout with “traveler’s diarrhea.”   Can you imagine this happening almost everyday – all day long?  Unfortunately, for some people this is a way of life.  They know where every bathroom is in every building in every town they visit.  They fear going out of their home because of the sudden onset of stomach pains and an uncontrollable urge to move their bowels; followed by a torrent of diarrhea – sometimes accompanied by blood and mucus.  This distress is most commonly due to inflammation of the large intestine (colon) and is called colitis.  The cause can range from an infection with a bacteria, parasite, or virus to an allergic reaction from a disagreeable food.

See full article

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl/nov/021100chained.htm

or this article

Influence of dietary factors on the clinical course of ulcerative colitis: a prospective cohort study by Sarah L. Jowett in the October 2004 issue of the journal Gut found patients with ulcerative colitis had more frequent relapses when they consumed meat, especially red and processed meat, and eggs.1   The investigators felt the risk of relapse, and thus the activity, was from the sulfur compounds found in these animal foods.  Alcoholic beverages, many of which contain sulfur compounds, were also associated with risk of relapse.
    Comment: Ulcerative colitis is a disease that causes inflammation and sores, called ulcers, in the lining of primarily the large intestine.  The inflammation occurs most commonly in the rectum and lower part of the colon, but it may affect the entire colon.  This painful inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can be debilitating (diarrhea and stomach pains), and even fatal.   To begin to understand the cause of this disease, you must know that ulcerative colitis is found only in parts of the world where people follow the Western diet, high in meat and dairy foods.  This is an autoimmune disease, where the immune system attacks the body (in this case, the bowel primarily).
    The course of ulcerative colitis is characterized by frequent exacerbations (relapses).  Previous studies have found a high intake of dairy products, and a low intake of dietary fiber, are associated with relapses.  Patients with ulcerative colitis also have higher concentrations of sulfur in their intestines and the course of the disease correlates with that amount.2  Sulfur appears to be toxic to the intestine.  So, where does all this sulfur come from?
    The amount of sulfur in the intestine is increased by consuming animal products, which are inherently high in sulfur-containing amino acids, like methionine and cysteine.
    Dramatic improvement in patients with ulcerative colitis has been reported with a change to a diet low in sulfur-containing amino acids.2  My experience has been that people with ulcerative colitis, and a similar condition called Crohn’s disease, respond quickly and dramatically with a change to the diet we recommend (starch-based with the addition of fruits and vegetables). This is a diet which is inherently low in sulfur compounds because the foods we recommend contain no animal-derived products.

see full article at http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004nl/041100pufavorite5.htm

Some videos on this topic

ive come across vegans that gave up being vegan because of constant digestive issues

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have Chrons Disease so somewhat similar.
    How much Pentasa are you on? I was on 4g at the start and also Budesonide but it’s really heard to get hold of. Now I’m on 2g Pentasa and Humira injections. For me diet 100% makes a difference but everyone has their own trigger foods so you just have to learn what works and what doesn’t

right man I’m not sure where your based but I’ve been to Dr Garrett Cullen in Vincent’s Private and I was impressed. IBD is his thing so your in the best hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rightman

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have Chrons Disease so somewhat similar.
    How much Pentasa are you on? I was on 4g at the start and also Budesonide but it’s really heard to get hold of. Now I’m on 2g Pentasa and Humira injections. For me diet 100% makes a difference but everyone has their own trigger foods so you just have to learn what works and what doesn’t

right man I’m not sure where your based but I’ve been to Dr Garrett Cullen in Vincent’s Private and I was impressed. IBD is his thing so your in the best hands.

Gael23,
    Thank you very much for your response. I'm based in Dublin too. I'll look into Dr Cullen and try to book a visit. Can you please tell me from your own experience if Dr Cullen is willing to listen and spend more than 10 minutes per patient?
    I have no intention to be rude or offend anyone - I simply don't see any interest from my current consultants to get me better for good. Myself I have this interest in getting better, hence the original question.
    Thank you very much and wish you well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

rightman wrote: »
    Gael23,
    Thank you very much for your response. I'm based in Dublin too. I'll look into Dr Cullen and try to book a visit. Can you please tell me from your own experience if Dr Cullen is willing to listen and spend more than 10 minutes per patient?
    I have no intention to be rude or offend anyone - I simply don't see any interest from my current consultants to get me better for good. Myself I have this interest in getting better, hence the original question.
    Thank you very much and wish you well!
    I’m actually based in Waterford but travelled to see him. My case is very complicated and he solved an issue in 20 minutes that my previous Gastroenterologist couldn’t solve in an hour long visit. My experience of him and I have to say any consultant is you get as long as you need.
    I have an extensive list of medial issues and he noted everything,listened to my symptoms and made a recommendation. There are loads of medicines I can’t take due to other issues. It sounds like you ar going private?

Aside from that I liked him, he had a nice manner and didn’t push anything. I’m not doing great so expect to be sent back soon.
    Anything else just ask

Advertisement