Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any secondary teachers leaving or left the job?

Options
  • 10-01-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello all,

I am a secondary English teacher who for various reasons is leaving the profession. I was just wondering what other ex-teachers in a similar position who left are now doing?

I am considering a conversion postgraduate

Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

What type of conversion postgrads are open to teacher's?
    In answer to your question, yes I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

Well it would be nothing to do with teaching,I'm looking at very different areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Look into springboard guys

Some courses have acceptance for this January

Free masters and hdip, some in part time or distance learning format. Ict conversion courses are free for anyone, the other courses tend to be confined to people receiving job seekers allowance.

One of the best initiatives the government made and not many know of it

https://www.springboardcourses.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

Look into springboard guys

Some courses have acceptance for this January

Free masters and hdip, some in part time or distance learning format. Ict conversion courses are free for anyone, the other courses tend to be confined to people receiving job seekers allowance.

One of the best initiatives the government made and not many know of it

https://www.springboardcourses.ie/

Yes I am aware of those but, I hear very mixed feedback. Some employers seem not to think very highly or conversion courses(esp IT) and would rather choose candidates with 3 or 4 year computer science degrees.

Thanks for the suggestion though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Some employers seem not to think very highly or conversion courses(esp IT) and would rather choose candidates with 3 or 4 year computer science degrees.

I wouldn't write off the conversion courses. Facebook are known to take on entry level IT employees (most likely in a stock control position), with a conversion course or a COMPTIA course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

If you leave teaching will you loose all your pension contributions do you know? I have thought about it but have never really looked into it. I think I would take a career break first instead of resigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Your pension should stand to you but only claimable at 65 or higher depending on your start date.

Advertisement