Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists have begun to outnumber cars in parts of Dublin city

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Would be safer for all concerned to just remove the filter. That in no way tries to negate the need for the cyclist to use self awareness, but the way the junction is designed seems to ignore this pretty universal fact

ye - or even move the Georges St Stop line back about 1/2 a bus length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There's craziness all around. Best thing the council could do - well, second-best after proper cycling infrastructure - would be a load of billboards saying "Sure what's your hurry?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

km991148 wrote: »
    ye - or even move the Georges St Stop line back about 1/2 a bus length.

It is set back from the junction, but when traffic is flowing it doesn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

veetwin wrote: »
    Cyclist and motorist here. Thankfully I don't need to go into Dublin City centre during rush hour very often but I did this evening about 6pm. I was driving a Transit with its limited rear visibility. I was genuinely shocked and scared at some of the cyclists behaviour. A bus turning left from Dame St onto George's St stopped for at least 30 seconds while a dozen cyclists went up the inside as he was indicating to turn left. (He had a green light) Had he not stopped someone would have come to a bad end.

Similar reckless behaviour continued on George's St with cyclists overtaking on both the near side and offside. It's a miracle more cyclists aren't mangled on a daily basis.

As a cyclist I'd be quite happy to tell you some of the appalling things I saw Van Drivers do in the city centre this morning......weaving in and out of lanes, turning left forcing cyclists to pull up, not indicating, driving while texting....I would have been genuinely shocked and scared. Except I wasn't because I see it every day.

Its a miracle more cyclists aren't mangled in a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

CramCycle wrote: »
    I know there are pictures where they show x amount of bicycles in the space of a car, but i don't agree with that. Once you count in safe passing distance and not half wheeling people. A full car or one with at least 4 people is about as space concious as as 4 bicycles in moving traffic.

Remember that the space a car takes up consists of the car plus a safe distance between it and other cars. I'd say over 4 bikes is a realistic figure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Remember that the space a car takes up consists of the car plus a safe distance between it and other cars. I'd say over 4 bikes is a realistic figure

Remember that if you add the fourth dimension (time) into the equation, you can add the space on the road a car takes up when it's parked for eight hours…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Look at the size of the peloton in the tour de france.....200 odd cyclists in a space you could fit maybe five cars in moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

peneau wrote: »
    Wait for it, the increase will bring its own problems within
    the cycling community already experiencing this, with some
    seemingly using their daily commute as part of their training
    routine and overtaking fellow cyclists at fairly impressive clips,
    closer than cars do…..Jaysus human nature !!

Clipless all the way for commuting. You gotta get everything from of those mad watts you're putting out as you're sailing past those plebs on their Dublin trikes.
    - you can tell they don't even shave their legs.

Wait...what was your point again? Think I missed something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100% correct. Obviously not got my thinking cap on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    As a cyclist I'd be quite happy to tell you some of the appalling things I saw Van Drivers do in the city centre this morning......weaving in and out of lanes, turning left forcing cyclists to pull up, not indicating, driving while texting....I would have been genuinely shocked and scared. Except I wasn't because I see it every day.

Its a miracle more cyclists aren't mangled in a daily basis.

Absolutely agree with everything you say. However the van driver can fcuk up behind the wheel all day and get away with it. A cyclist only needs to fcuk once to get dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

buffalo wrote: »
    It is set back from the junction, but when traffic is flowing it doesn't make a difference.

I thought the filter only came on when the traffic was completely stopped on G st. - but that would make no sense.

Either way needs fixed! Get rid of Riks burgers? Open it right up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Chuchote wrote: »
    Remember that if you add the fourth dimension (time) into the equation, you can add the space on the road a car takes up when it's parked for eight hours…
    I'm not that I've ever seen figures on that though.

Searching for this now, but from memory a standard road lane processes a maximum of 2,200 cars per hour, or a maximum of 14,000 bicycles per hour.

Bicycles are a much more efficient use of space. Even if every single car carried 5 passengers, bicycles would still be more efficient.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in a way, i don't think the roads are as much the limiting factor as they used to be - it's secure bike parking and facilties for cyclists which seems to be the deciding factor for people i know who cycle to work.

street-mode-efficiency-2-768x423.png

Taken from here. Not the graph that I remember, but it'll do for now. Shows how inefficient on-street parking is.

solutions_for_urban_transport__infographic.jpg

Taken from here. The numbers are different compared to those above. I'm sure if both pages are read, the reason will be become clear.

image004.png?itok=YXpZB1CW

This last one just seemed to be relevant to what Chuchote brought up about parking. Taken from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

endagibson wrote: »
    Taken from here. The numbers are different compared to those above. I'm sure if both pages are read, the reason will be become clear.

I don't think rail in Mumbai and Hong Kong is representative of the rest of the world :D

It's great news though. With a few months of proper etiquette enforcement by the Gardai and a few more cycleways, Dublin would be a fantastic cycling city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OT, but i'd be interested to know how grade separated light rail can run at the claimed capacity; must be very large trams.

using the existing luas trams with a capacity of 358, that's one tram every 40s.

even a bike lane having a capacity of 5200 per hour is 1.4 cyclists per second. so a two minute delay at a junction would result in a bike jam of nearly 200 cyclists.

even a bike lane having a capacity of 5200 per hour is 1.4 cyclists per second. so a two minute delay at a junction would result in a bike jam of nearly 200 cyclists.

I suppose it's based on the max number of cyclists passing a fixed point travelling quickly wheel to wheel. A mathematical calculation rather than a real world observation.

By the same metric a 2 min delay at the lights is nearly 50 cars.

a two minute delay at a junction would result in a bike jam of nearly 200 cyclists.
    Take a look at this queue of bicycles at a London junction earlier in the week.

to be fair, the luas running every three minutes gives a capacity of just over 7,000 passengers per hour, which is reasonably close to the surface light rail claim above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Why isn't there people going up the outside to get to top of the queue?? They haven't a clue. Amateurs. Way too civilised over there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

De Bhál wrote: »
    Why isn't there people going up the outside to get to top of the queue. They haven't a clue. Amateurs. Way too civilised over there.

https://theoldvillage.wordpress.com/2004/01/28/douglas-adams-shares-a-true-story/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Those Londoner lads really love their queues. The equivalent here would probably be a big shoaly pileup at the front. There was one fellow who had the look of someone about to zip up the outside. He did have a vaguely greeny kit though, which made me wonder where he picked up that habit, maybe? (Would have been a bit easier to stereotype him with a leprechaun hat and an inflatable shamrock, though. I certainly never go to London without mine!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

De Bhál wrote: »
    Why isn't there people going up the outside to get to top of the queue?? They haven't a clue. Amateurs. Way too civilised over there.

I'd be up on the path with the peds, none of that waiting around for me.

eeguy wrote: »
    I don't think rail in Mumbai and Hong Kong is representative of the rest of the world :D
    They're just examples, but I don't see why not. They're still people, trying to get to work, home or whatever. The numbers are larger, but that makes for more accurate reporting.

They're just examples, but I don't see why not. They're still people, trying to get to work, home or whatever. The numbers are larger, but that makes for more accurate reporting.

Google image "Mumbai train"
    1424945637-0613.jpg

That's just a whole bunch of people doing James Bond/Ethan Hunt impressions. :pac:

Advertisement