Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New setup - need some advice

Options
  • 10-01-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey,

Soo, recently purchased a Focusrite saffire pro 40 and an OctoPre MkII for new home studio setup - for full band recording.

Am thinking about a Macbook pro i5/i7 with 8GB ram. Will I need to have a 7200rpm HDD or SSD? Would 5400rpm be too slow? Do you think the 8GB is enough?

What actually are the bottlenecks for the processing? The memory, hdd, processor, or a combo of all 3??

Don't want to overspend, but of course, don't want it to be not up to the job.

Appreciate any help/suggestions you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jenearl

If your budget will allow, it's definitely worth getting an SSD, that will help a lot. I think the newer Macbook Pros all have them anyway though. RAM is super important - 8GB should be enough, but it depends on how large your projects tend to be in terms of tracks and especially plugins. If you're not one to go totally crazy with endless plugins, 8GB will be fine, particularly because Apple charge so much for extra RAM and you can't install it yourself!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Important to note you should track to a second hard drive...7200RPM external drive would be fine (USB3 or Thunderbolt).
    Don't record to the OS drive.

Advertisement