Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrauntoohil hike

Options
  • 10-01-2017 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Heading to Kerry to hike up carrauntoohil.
    Going on overnight.
    Anyone wishing to come along.experienced only hikers.
    I have asthma so wont be breaking any records.lol
    Can run 5k in 30min so fit enough
    Climb luggnaqulla a few times too.
    Looking at hydro route..
    Going mid week 20th of feb..
    Haven't booked acc. Possible hostel or b/b.

Open to suggestions

Comments

Accommodation on hydro side not as good as the usual Hag's Glen side. Not even sure there's a hostel there...there is one in the Black Valley if you want to avoid the Hag's Glen. For my money, the Hydro Route is not as good an access as the Hag's Glen, where you walk up under the Eastern Reeks and see all the famous routes, the Devil's Ladder, Howling Ridge, the various Gullies etc. The advantage of the Hydro Road is traversing Beenkeragh or Caher Ridges...but you can always do an out and back from Carrauntoohil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The Climbers Inn hostel (Glencar) is less than a 10 minute drive from the car park at the bottom of the Hydro road (Shelagh there will look after you well).

I agree that the Hydro Road Route isn't quite as spectacular but I've witnessed some spectacular sunrises and sunsets ascending and descending Caher - I quite like it as a loop and it prevents even more erosion on the main Carrantouhill routes.

It you want something different and quiet/remote, you could try the Stepping Stone in the Bridia Valley. I'd say fairly quiet at this time of the year, only a handful of houses on a few miles of road into a cul de sac.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g551552-d2154497-Reviews-Stepping_Stone_Bed_and_Breakfast_with_Cooky_Monsters_cafe-Glencar_County_Kerry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It you want something different and quiet/remote, you could try the Stepping Stone in the Bridia Valley.

Just reading some comments on tripadvisor about that place :eek:

unkel wrote: »
    Just reading some comments on tripadvisor about that place :eek:

:D

Have you seen the ones for the Climbers Inn?

Have actually met that owner a couple of times when running over Carrauntoohil and down into the Bridia and back again. I think he was amused by our obvious insanity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dear oh dear! How can these places still be open? I guess there literally is nothing else out there for miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dear oh dear! How can these places still be open? I guess there literally is nothing else out there for miles?

I can only speak for the Climbers Inn - it's really not that bad. €25 for a basic single en suite room, hot shower, cooked breakfast in the morning, a roaring fire when you get in, a local welcome and good craic. Great place for a group, we've had some excellent weekends there.

We spend the day on the mountains, sometimes knee deep in bog so I think we should be able to appreciate the little wins like the fire and a warm bed to sleep in.

Then again, I haven't written a review of the place and many more like me probably haven't so I'm not helping the cause.

Glencar, for such a beautiful area, is not as well served as other areas in South Kerry. I'm not sure whether Glencar House Hotel is still open. Blackstones House, which is near the Caragh River, looks pretty nice from the outside.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It you want something different and quiet/remote, you could try the Stepping Stone in the Bridia Valley. I'd say fairly quiet at this time of the year, only a handful of houses on a few miles of road into a cul de sac.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g551552-d2154497-Reviews-Stepping_Stone_Bed_and_Breakfast_with_Cooky_Monsters_cafe-Glencar_County_Kerry.html

The rudest & most unpleasant cafe owner I've ever had the misfortune of crossing paths with when I made the mistake of heading there instead of the Climbers Inn after the IMRA Carrauntoohil race a few years ago.

Please everyone, avoid this place at all costs!!!

Advertisement