Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dylann Roof Sentenced to Death

• 10-01-2017 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Dylann Roof , a white supremacist has been sentenced to death for the killing of 9 people in a church during a service in Charleston, South Carolina.

Surely even the staunchest opponents against the death penalty must see that this sentence is justified.

I think the death penalty is justified in some circumstance.

Dylann showed no remorse. Admitted, even seems proud of his actions. Doesn't appear to be suffering from any mental conditions. He is 22. What would be the point of spending the rest of his life in prison. One might as well be dead than live a life like that

I don't think the reason he should be executed is just so the rest of us that had nothing to do with the case get some sort of satisfaction that he's being executed. But I do think it would be too much for the victims families to think that he can continue to feel satisfied at what he did, even if he is behind bars.

I think an execution here is good for everyone. It's good for him, it's good for the victims family, it's good for the state who don't have to spend a fortune on his incarceration, and it's good for society to feel safe in the knowledge that such crimes won't be tolerated or treated softly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He's getting what he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wouldn't ever be for the death penalty, in this case for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they'll make a martyr of him to all those neo-nazi racist scumbags and secondly, I honestly think that death would be a kinder sentence for someone like him than the prospect of life in solitary confinement without the hope of parole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't agree with the death penalty on principle. I think it cheapens life to have it taken by the state and results in even more murders etc. However I wouldn't be out marching to save this ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think a lot of the victims families didn't want him to get the death penalty. Roof wants the death penalty. I think that's pretty clear.

In such a case, I'd be inclined to put him in the worst prison for the rest of his life, however long or short that may be once other prisoners know who he is. Let him rot, rather than give him the satisfaction of being put to death, which again, seems to be what he wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I hope nobody accidentally posts in both Dylann Roof threads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Bit harsh really.
    I know he failed to turn up for the nobel prize...... but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I wouldn't ever be for the death penalty, in this case for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they'll make a martyr of him to all those neo-nazi racist scumbags and secondly, I honestly think that death would be a kinder sentence for someone like him than the prospect of life in solitary confinement without the hope of parole.

Well, wouldn't he make just as good of a martyr when he's incarcerated in prison for his beliefs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

good riddance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I believe they should have pain inflicted on them torture if you will and also be worked to the point they can go no further.

Prison should be a dark soul destroying place not a holiday camp.

R.I.P to the victims.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I think a lot of the victims families didn't want him to get the death penalty. Roof wants the death penalty. I think that's pretty clear.

Any source for that, not that I'm disbelieving you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

learn_more wrote: »
    Surely even the staunchest opponents against the death penalty must see that this sentence is justified.
    Yeah, I remember all the death penalty opponents saying they're against the death penalty in every situation, unless it's something really, really, really bad. That's where it becomes totally justified, the crime just needs to be bad enough

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I believe they should have pain inflicted on them torture if you will and also be worked to the point they can go no further.

R.I.P to the victims.

I know its an emotive topic but seriously..come on..
    The idea of treating all prisoners with respect and as human beings no matter who or what they've done is an important stepping stone in the advancement of human civilisation, it should never change under any circumstance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

torture

You want to put Roof on the Rack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

R.I.P to the victims.

You know nothing about the US prison system if you think it's a holiday camp.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

He will hopefully spend the rest of his natural life on death row, federal executions are very rare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd leave him sit on death row until his 80's. He only wants to be a martyr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Life without parole, he is 22 years old lock him up and throw away the key until he is forgotten about, kill him and he is a martyr for his cause.

Jayop wrote: »
    I don't agree with the death penalty on principle. I think it cheapens life to have it taken by the state and results in even more murders etc. However I wouldn't be out marching to save this ****.

What about Sadam Hussein or Osama bin Laden ? Would those executions go against your principles too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

I believe the state shouldn't be able to kill its own citizens.

Cost wise it's been show that the death sentence is more costly, he won't be killed tomorrow but likely 15-20 years time after lots of reviews and costly legal procedures.

If you want retributive justice then he's actually getting off, I'd know I'd attempt to kill myself if I though I would spend decades in prison.

Also, wouldn't it be great after years and years he eventually sees that his neo-Nazi ideology is bull**** and eventually comes to express regret? It won't bring anyone back to life but he's got the rest of his life to think about the consequences of his actions and how flawed his ideology is. He did it to spark a race war - let him live and see how peaceful and egalitarian society becomes over the years.

• Advertisement

Life without parole, he is 22 years old lock him up and throw away the key until he is forgotten about, kill him and he is a martyr for his cause.

Not as simple as that. Think about the cost of feeding,cleaning ,clothing, keeping watch over somebody for 80 or so years, the costs will probably run into the millions. Better off for everyone if he just dies

Can I just say, I don't agree with putting him in the worst prison possible so he can suffer for the rest of his life. I think that's worse than executing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

the yanks don't mess around. only happened 18 months ago and he already senteced to death. he'd still be awaiting trial here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He's just misunderstood/bad upbringing/wrong crowd.

Off with his head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

In such a case, I'd be inclined to put him in the worst prison for the rest of his life, however long or short that may be once other prisoners know who he is. Let him rot, rather than give him the satisfaction of being put to death, which again, seems to be what he wanted.

Definitely will be martyred over this.
    He's going to be famous forever now.
    Definitely should be doing hard labour in solitary confinement for 50 years instead, no visitors, no access to cigarettes or sweets or anything like that, no books no TV no internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

I think Dylann Roof has a really cute face.

Absoluvely wrote: »

Sweet suffering Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Inquitus wrote: »
    You know nothing about the US prison system if you think it's a holiday camp.....

True but I was more so talking about here and the UK but aren't they fed and watered. IMO that's too much.

Obviously depending on seriousness of the crime.
    Not paying fine equals torture not good but murder and multiple at that no way they should be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

It's hard to believe he's not suffering from some mental condition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

True but I was more so talking about here and the UK but aren't they fed and watered. IMO that's too much.

Obviously depending on seriousness of the crime.
    Not paying fine equals torture not good but murder and multiple at that no way they should be looked after.

Look at all this scum writing this, hope you get sent to gulag as well with him, absolutely disgusting to read.

I'm just reading about this case now. He entered the church and was greeted with open arms by the congregation before he turned his gun on them. Apparently he is without remorse and claims to have no psychological impairments. What is to be done with a person like that?

A greater punishment would be a lifetime in prison simply because it's not what he wants and why should he be given what he wants? A young man with such hatred inside him that he can gun down a group of people because they are a different colour to him.

I'm not swung by this martyr argument. Even if he was, what difference does it make if the very tiny percentage of white supremacists considered him so. It's not like he would be martyred by the whole population of the US.

I think if he was executed without delay then he will be forgotten about fairly swiftly. You have people like Charles Manson who was just in the news the other day. If he was executed he'd been long long forgotten about. Instead his victims family have to deal with news reports about him decades later. I don't think that's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Johnboner wrote: »
    Look at all this scum writing this, hope you get sent to gulag as well with him, absolutely disgusting to read.
    Yeah words on the internet - definitely gulag material (I disagree with them too by the way, but... perspective).

I mean, this is probably the opposite of the what the victims would have wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

His life is over whatever happens. Why don't people like him with so much hatred inside them not do away with themselves before they hurt others. Especially in cases like this where he'll never be released from prison, I wish no one could put a face to the perpetrator, no one would know his name either. Some people just do heinous crimes to gain notoriety or to be self confessed martyrs for a cause that will never be right.

• Advertisement

CFlat wrote: »
    It's hard to believe he's not suffering from some mental condition.

Yes it is but it's is one of those rare occasions where he hasn't. Which is why I advocate the death penalty here.

If he had don't you think the defence would have put that forward, even if he was just a bit depressed.

and that matters because why exactly

Yes it is but it's is one of those rare occasions where he hasn't. Which is why I advocate the death penalty here.

If he had don't you think the defence would have put that forward, even if he was just a bit depressed.

How do you know this? Somebody else told you and you believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

wakka12 wrote: »
    Not as simple as that. Think about the cost of feeding,cleaning ,clothing, keeping watch over somebody for 80 or so years, the costs will probably run into the millions. Better off for everyone if he just dies

You do realise that'll be spent on someone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Start writing to him on death row
    Then you can get engaged and then launch a go fund me for you to go over there and marry him.

• Advertisement

Flimpson wrote: »
    Yeah words on the internet - definitely gulag material (I disagree with them too by the way, but... perspective).

People on the internet say things that they are afraid to say in real life. So they show their true sadistic colors and get sexually aroused seeing someone get slaughtered by the state. There is no other reasons as it was proven not to work by Norway. I don't care if I get banned for this if I do so should be the sadists that say he should be tortured, hanged, cut into pieces or whatever other cruel method that you cannot even imagine.

I'm just reading about this case now. He entered the church and was greeted with open arms by the congregation before he turned his gun on them. Apparently he is without remorse and claims to have no psychological impairments. What is to be done with a person like that?

A greater punishment would be a lifetime in prison simply because it's not what he wants and why should he be given what he wants? A young man with such hatred inside him that he can gun down a group of people because they are a different colour to him.

There are two aspects to punishments as I see it. One is the retribution aspect which satisfies the victims, and then there is rehabilitative consequences of one being punished. I.e if you do that again, this is what you will get.

But in this case the second aspect doesn't come into it because he will be in prison for life and will never be let out, so it's irrelevant whether he actually every thinks he did wrong or not.

So as you ask, what do you do with a person like that; I think the best solution is to execute them. This is a rare case in which I think it is justified and the right solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I have read that Roof was taking Suboxone. It's a drug that is taken to wean you off opiates. He was also on Xanax and other pills.

One of the side effects of Suboxone is violent outbursts and mood swings.

http://www.ibtimes.com/what-drugs-was-dylann-roof-suboxone-powerful-narcotic-found-charleston-shooter-1973919

Give this type of stuff to a guy in a country with easy access to firearms and all hell is likely to break loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Any source for that, not that I'm disbelieving you.

Mostly saw it in a few tweets, but this seems to have a fair bit of info on it:
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/26/us/death-penalty-dylann-roof-charleston.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&mtrref=t.co&gwh=B638F70AEF89D4165C4A85A91B580D40&gwt=pay&referer=

I have read that Roof was taking Suboxone. It's a drug that is taken to wean you off opiates. He was also on Xanax and other pills.

One of the side effects of Suboxone is violent outbursts and mood swings.

http://www.ibtimes.com/what-drugs-was-dylann-roof-suboxone-powerful-narcotic-found-charleston-shooter-1973919

Give this type of stuff to a guy in a country with easy access to firearms and all hell is likely to break loose.

I am not familiar with ibtimes and it's wiki article doesn't really give me much to feel it's a reputable news agency.

Again, I haven't heard he had and either drug or mental issues that could have contributed to his actions. I'm not saying the ibtimes article is totally untrue but I hadn't heard anything about that side of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭briany

These shootings are so cowardly in their execution.

"I'm a racist. I hate black people." - Proceeds to shoot up the most welcoming and peaceable group of black people one could ever hope to meet.

"I'm angry. I hate the world." - Proceeds to shoot a class full of kindergarten kids.

Total opportunism and absolutely senseless killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I am not familiar with ibtimes and it's wiki article doesn't really give me much to feel it's a reputable news agency.

Again, I haven't heard he had and either drug or mental issues that could have contributed to his actions. I'm not saying the ibtimes article is totally untrue but I hadn't heard anything about that side of the story.

CBS reported the same thing

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charleston-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof-drug-suboxone/

As did the NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/us/on-facebook-dylann-roof-charleston-suspect-wears-symbols-of-white-supremacy.html?_r=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Little cunt should be tortured every day for years until he eventually succumbs to the excruciating pain he is in. Slow painful death is the only thing his sort deserve.

Show it on a live 24 hour webcam to detract other cunts from trying similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

briany wrote: »
    These shootings are so cowardly in their execution.

"I'm a racist. I hate black people." - Proceeds to shoot up the most welcoming and peaceable group of black people one could ever hope to meet.
    Was thinking that. If his issue was with BLM and "gangster" culture, why not confront them (not shoot anyone obviously). But no, people attending church - yeah they were asking for it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. I'm not clear on the percentage of victims families who support a non-death-penalty sentence, but anyway it's irrelevant to the bigger general questions.

I'm not a law expert but I understand punishment is decided by the state in the form of minimum sentences and so on, but never by the victims.

It would be quite an upheaval in criminal justice if the victims of said crimes were to influence the courts sentences. I don't think it would be practical myself but it's an interesting idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement