Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Hawke Endurance or Sidewinder

Options
  • 10-01-2017 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Lads anyone using hawke endurance or sidewinder on a deer rifle and would they recommend them thanks Tommy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have a Sidewinder on my 308. Actually had one on both my 308s, but sold one of them so stuck it on my 223 for the moment.

The scope holds perfect zero, tracks perfectly and has decent glass for all my deer shooting. Low light is an issue. Compared to your Zeiss, S&B, Swarovski, etc. its not even close. Then again the price tag is miles apart too. €400 compared to €2,400.

After seeing how it performed over the years on my 308 i've chosen Sidewinder for a decently priced scope on my 223s, and even a HMR. I've put up some pics below. They are a 308, 223 and 17hmr. All with Hawke Sidewinders on them.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Thanks Cass my main issue is how are they on low light conditions was looking as a hawke endurance 4-16x50 nice scope but it's only lads that have experience of them will be able to tell how good they are

Don't get me wrong they won't, as i said above, hold up to higher priced scopes in low conditions, but they are not bad.

For my 308 you cannot shoot deer in the dark. I don't mean at night, i mean the law says you can shoot Deer one hour before sunrise and one after sunset. Well everytime i've been out in the evening 25 minutes after sunset it's dark. I don't care how good the scope it, or how much it cost no scope sees in the dark unless it's NV or under a lamp. As these are illegal then having a €3,000 Swarovski will be as useful as tits on a bull.

Early morning and for the last 15-20 minutes of daylight in the evenings is where the Sidewinder will show it's low price. The crosshair will disappear in the fading light and if you use the illuminated crosshair you need to make sure you have the SR pro reticle otherwise the full reticle illumination will blind you to your target. Even on the lowest setting.

Now i've used my Sidewinders under the lamp when after foxes and it's performed perfectly. The lamp lights up enough to show the crosshair without any need for illuminated reticles and i've dropped many a fox with it.

So basically the Sidewinder will falter for 40 minutes a day. First light and last light. Not let you down, but not be as good as other more expensive scopes.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass I suppose the zeiss terra range might be a better option for the sake of 100 Euro more not many stores advertising second hand scopes

You'd get better glass, but you need to weigh up the quality of glass against other features all within a given budget.

The Terra models are entry level. Meaning no illuminated reticle according Zeiss' website they only go as high as 4-12. So if more mag is an issue you'll fall short.

Also be careful of the risk of "just another €100". Soon enough you'll find yourself looking at €1,000 scopes and telling yourself just another €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

For middle range with good low light capability, look at Meopta.

Figure on spending 600 or more though....

As Cass notes, the price of low light looking can be measured in euros - usually many of them.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

mate of mine has a sidewinder on his 223 and loves it,he can hit shotgun shell ends (metal end),at 200yrds easy,

Cass wrote: »
    You'd get better glass, but you need to weigh up the quality of glass against other features all within a given budget.

The Terra models are entry level. Meaning no illuminated reticle according Zeiss' website they only go as high as 4-12. So if more mag is an issue you'll fall short.

Also be careful of the risk of "just another €100". Soon enough you'll find yourself looking at €1,000 scopes and telling yourself just another €100.

That's the way it's heading Cass 😂

sniperman wrote: »
    mate of mine has a sidewinder on his 223 and loves it,he can hit shotgun shell ends (metal end),at 200yrds easy,

Same as that mate has one on. 223 and loves it but he doesn't hunt at all only shoots at the range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Cass wrote: »

There is no known cure for this. I have suffered from a bad case of this for years. It is incredibly self contagious, as in it affects my ability to think straight when buying bikes, guns, fishing gear. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Tommy I have the SW 6-24x56mm on my 10/22. Never took it out at Dawn :eek: or Dusk much.

As said by Cass even the best scopes will suffer as the light fades. It's said the better scopes (more dosh) will give you that extra 10 minutes in the twilight hours and a lighter wallet.

Advertisement