Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking/cycling centre-based holidays

Options
  • 11-01-2017 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

Currently looking at some options for summer holidays but can't seem to find the type of thing I'm looking for.
    I'm basically looking for a centre-based holiday, staying in one place with hikes (or cycles!) organised each day from that base. I'm thinking somewhere in Austria/Slovenia or somewhere similarly alpine. The other thing is any I've seen are 7/8 days but I'd really rather something around 4/5 days. I would then tag on some time at the beginning or end of the walking for my own time.

Does anyone have any experience of something like this either through an organised travel-agent package or organising it yourself?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Solasgeal

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've used Crystal before for Austria, Slovenia & the Dolomites. You'll have to organise your own hikes, but they transport you to some ideal locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Triglav National Park in Slovenia sounds about right for you. Gorgeous area with great hiking and easy to get to with bus transfers or by bike if you bring your own.

The area around Lake Bled is very crowded, Lake Bohinj less so but still busy. The west around Trenta was the part we prefered as it was a lot quieter, but the roads are steeper in spots.

Very crowded in summer obviously, but the weather is still good there in September which is a far better time to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Not exactly as you specified OP but the Camino de Santiago is a popular choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago
    http://santiago-compostela.net/

Advertisement